Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-17-2016, 01:28 PM
Orc

What sounds were you playing in your original video you linked? Couldn't we just convert those sounds into the correct format and overwrite the files?
Old 10-17-2016, 01:36 PM
Planar Protector

Those sounds are already included in the Titanium client, and between all clients it's the same format: .wav packed into a .pfs archive. They're the ones I just linked.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:55 PM
Orc

I just noticed that...I misread some of your post as you were talking about both music and sounds and I was just thinking about sounds when I read your post. This works for what I'm looking for. As far as trying to get that classic sound there is another post from Psycher

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=81207

That has helped get these original midis sounding as close to original as possible. You can use some of their suggestions for ease but if you play around with it yourself you can find tune it to a personal level.

Grimluck seems to be doing some really good with with the music as well:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=193468

These can be renamed into their corresponding mp3 and work out very well. They are 'remastered' classic but I'd think the idea of just taking audio samples from a true classic and recording it into mp3 format and not converting it like you say should come out with a pretty good result. I don't have good enough recording equipment to try but if anyone has the ability to hear these classic midi files the way they use to sound then they should be able to re-record them into an mp3 format and just overwrite the files that are there.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:02 PM
Orc

Although from what I'm seeing it does look like on the Emu side of things there is an issue with the looping of some of the music and sounds in the game. I'm wondering if there might be a way to tie a media player to a log reader that would play certain items in the playlist based on what the log reads in...

I'm sure someone with a little more programming chops than I might be able to run with an idea like that.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gisshan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd think the idea of just taking audio samples from a true classic and recording it into mp3 format and not converting it like you say should come out with a pretty good result.
Well I mean, technically there was no "true classic" sound to the midi music, because midi isn't actually sound. Midi is basically sheet music for computers - back in 1999 it was completely dependent on your sound card's audio banks. For example, someone who had a really cheap integrated sound card would've had lower quality sound banks than someone with a Sound Blaster Live, so their midi music would've sounded lower quality than the person with a Sound Blaster Live card.

So as Chebby alludes to, it's pretty much just preference - some people had Sound Blaster Awe 16, some people had Sound Blaster Awe 32, some people had Sound Blaster Awe 64 - these were all available in 1999, and they all contain different sound banks, with the higher-bit cards featuring higher quality sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gisshan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't have good enough recording equipment to try but if anyone has the ability to hear these classic midi files the way they use to sound then they should be able to re-record them into an mp3 format and just overwrite the files that are there.
You wouldn't need any recording hardware other than a sound card to do this - all you'd have to do is install the midi soundfont you want, such as the Sound Blaster Awe 32 soundfont that Chebby linked, and then find a midi to mp3 converter which I'm sure is super easy to find with a Google search. Once you've changed your soundfont - which is basically the software equivalent of a sound card's audio bank - any midi you playback or convert will automatically use that soundfont's banks.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Although from what I'm seeing it does look like on the Emu side of things there is an issue with the looping of some of the music and sounds in the game. I'm wondering if there might be a way to tie a media player to a log reader that would play certain items in the playlist based on what the log reads in...

I'm sure someone with a little more programming chops than I might be able to run with an idea like that.
That's not a bad idea. And yeah, the Grimluck reworks are amazing - if I wanted EQ's music I would go straight for these. Crappy midi sounded crappy to me in 1999 and still sounds crappy to me today. I love the gameplay sounds in EQ, but not a huge fan of the music.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:57 PM
Orc

So far I've been able to get the midi driver working and everything sounds pretty good. I can even customize a couple of the songs since it will read the mp3 for the eqtheme, deaththeme, and two combat songs when I replace them.

The rest seem to pull from compiled midi files that aren't as easily replaceable. Ideally I'd like to take Grimluck's work and insert it into the compiled midi files but I'm not sure that possibly. It may be because I believe those files are just comprised of *.wav files and then there is a parent file telling it where to pull the correct music from in said file.

That may not be exactly how it works but something along those lines. Either this or the log reader I suggested would really allow some flexibility. I'm really happy with what I've gotten so far.

Perhaps I'll find someone who has worked with log readers a little and could work on that media player idea. That would allow for some simple customization for what music or sounds play when and where.

Thanks for all the help by the way to all. The little details scattered around these forums are extremely helpful. Sometimes hard to track down but always very helpful.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:24 AM
Fire Giant

thanks for the support gisshan, I really appreciate it... I have no programming background. As I said previously I was hoping I could just point some Devs into the direction of figuring it out, you know?

thanks again man. Make a new thread and edit on the first post with the updated link (I am unable to edit the first post)
just make sure to give me the credits XD
Old 09-03-2018, 09:13 PM
Large Rat

can anyone reupload the sounds?
Old 09-04-2018, 07:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostea [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
can anyone reupload the sounds?
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...7&postcount=30