Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 02:16 AM
Sarnak

Default Pet Commands and Pet Pulling Not Correct

The issue with Chardok AEO and pet pulling has been bugging me ever since it came up. So I did a little research and this is what I found:

1. Chase range was definitely an issue which is not classically represented here. I believe that chase range prevented pulling the way that its used to pull most of Chardok to zone for AOE. I haven't been able to find evidence of this unfortunately.

2. Pet pulling is not correctly implemented. Pet pulling would not have worked on live because pet /attack command is just a /say pet attack as are all the other commands for pets other than follow and pet go away possibly. I cant' recall if you had to run back to where you left your pet to issue the follow and go away command but I think initially you did.

There was a /zone wide /pet kill %t command but that was done away with to be inline with the /say range.

Velious Era Comments - will search up some more evidence when I have time

Quote:
shakana -- posted 05-15-2001 01:18 PM Datay, I'm not sure what abbrevations you are talking about...in this thread in particular or elsewhere?
Psych_, you don't need to target your pet in order to command it to do stuff (attack, back off, etc). You do however have to be within a certain distance range of your pet, he can't hear you if you are too far away.
Quote:
LiLOLMe -- posted 05-15-2001 12:56 PM "/pet target" will target your pet. Hitting the F1 key twice will also. You don't have to have your pet targeted to issue commands. They just need to be "within range". Seems about 'voice' distance.
Quote:
(Comment: the /pet commands are actually recognized on the server as /say commands that don't get broadcast. So a /say command then a /pet command acts like two /say commands and one gets filtered out.)
https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/i...1.27806/page-2

I think the most important line though is this one:

Quote:
The range at which a pet will respond to your commands has been doubled.
http://www.reocities.com/TimesSquare...est_manual.doc <= Original Everquest Manual released in 1999.

This proves rather than the current zone wide pet commands, that there was a limited pet command range.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:22 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via ICQ to Uuruk Send a message via AIM to Uuruk Send a message via MSN to Uuruk Send a message via Yahoo to Uuruk

sweeping that under the rug
Old 06-01-2014, 03:29 AM
Planar Protector

On reading the title of this thread, I was reminded of a type of pet pulling I had forgotten about.

Does anyone remember using a low level pet to split a cluster of mobs?

If you pulled a mob by attacking it with a weak pet, and that mob was able to kill the pet in one round of attacks, the mob would call not be able to call assist properly so wouldn't bring it's friends with it.

I remember this being in the game at least as late as POP, does anyone remember it being discovered/possible in classic/kunark/velious eras?
Old 06-01-2014, 03:55 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On reading the title of this thread, I was reminded of a type of pet pulling I had forgotten about.

If you pulled a mob by attacking it with a weak pet, and that mob was able to kill the pet in one round of attacks, the mob would call not be able to call assist properly so wouldn't bring it's friends with it.

I remember this being in the game at least as late as POP, does anyone remember it being discovered/possible in classic/kunark/velious eras?
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/foru...07777760493578
Not sure if green pet pulling was in in classic though. May have been something added accidentally at some time during the expansions. Removed in 2006 though.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Kobold

Pet pulling was a side effect of pets being made beta neutral.

In classic you could /pet kill phinigel or whatever to see if the mob is up but the range the pet would attack was pretty small.

I used to solo Overking in chardok by pet pulling. Interesting thing about that is the overking was out of range for the pet to attack, but if you used and eye of zomm to target a closer sarnark, hit pet attack, then back off and guard before he got there this puts pet in range to attack overking or even queen.

TLDR: the range for a pet to attack a mob is the range between the pet and the mob not between the PC and the mob.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Planar Protector

Duck cancelling spells needs taking out... nobody shouting about that though are they?
Old 06-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Duck cancelling spells needs taking out... nobody shouting about that though are they?
Duck cancelling casting? AFAIK always did. But you could do the same thing by moving a bit anyway. Most importantly it doesn't allow you to do what unlimited range pet commands do.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:32 PM
Sarnak

The range is definitely not unlimited. In PoSky we've run into issues where a parked pet on a different island is not able to attack from far off islands.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmop520 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The range is definitely not unlimited. In PoSky we've run into issues where a parked pet on a different island is not able to attack from far off islands.
well yesterday I parked a pet at a merchant near west commons zoneline, then ran all the way to zoneline at Freeport (this is in East Commons), used pet attack and he attacked so its close to zonewide, maybe PoS is huge can't remember.

Definitely a lot more than say distance atm.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I did this on live pre-velious. Used green pet to pull Di'zok for my Jade Prod. A green pet to the mob was all that was required. Mob would not call assist when fighting a pet so low level it conned green to him. It was taken out eventually as mentioned but was always an option in Kunark and into Velious. It was not super effective though because pet was so low level it would die fast and if it died within range of enemies the new agro on the pet owner would pull the adds. You had to buff pet with everything you had just to make sure he lived through the pull.