Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 01:33 PM
Large Bat

Default New Bard to the server and the game looking for some advice

Hi all,

The last the I played EQ was on live back in '09 after getting a chance to try on Steam, didn't really grab me after coming from years of WoW and how modern MMOs handle, and the whole merc thing really puts me off.

Now I'm looking for something a little (not so little) more in-depth and decided on classic EQ. Was supposed to be playing with the husband but after some time bumming around killing stuff, we found it just isn't the game for him. So, I'll be venturing forth alone.

I picked Bard as my main class since I love the idea of killing stuff with song and music, and I hear they can be quite powerful albeit hard for new players to pick up. I'm fine with a challenge.

My questions are - is there anything I should be looking out for in terms of places to level / find groups? I'm a Half-Elf (lvl 2) and started in Kelethin, and this morning found out about the mail quest from Felwithe which was great as I could afford my level 2 spell. I've also been holding on to my Bone Chips as I hear they're a good way to make some coin in the lower levels, although I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be selling these to players or NPCs somewhere.

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm not looking for handouts or quick fast-tracks to getting powerful gear or anything, as I feel like that would cheapen the experience a bit. Just some general tips, like if I should be venturing out to different zones, etc. I'm still not sure how I should be spending my "practice" skill points. I put one into Sense Heading but am unsure about the rest.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2015, 07:46 PM
Aviak

I saved my bonechips and sold 2 stacks to players and got enough PP to buy all my spells for several levels. Definitely sell them to players because (lazy) necros and sk's are always in the market for them. I also was told bat wings might be good for some casters.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:03 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbone86 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I saved my bonechips and sold 2 stacks to players and got enough PP to buy all my spells for several levels. Definitely sell them to players because (lazy) necros and sk's are always in the market for them. I also was told bat wings might be good for some casters.
Time is money, and convenience pays.

Stacks of bone chips, silk swatches, and bat wings can be sold to other players who auction in OOC. In later levels, HQ Bear Pelts go for around 30pp. EC is the best place to sell bear hides.

Stick to GFay for now - plenty of low level critters and space to practice your Bard songs, and learning how to twist. Fighting Orcs in Crushbone will be the next obvious step. Then standard lowbie advice applies re: working on trade skills to become self-sufficient i.e. cloth / patchwork, vendoring low level loot for songs / spells / saving up for next AC upgrade.

I know next to nothing about Bards (too much twisting for me - feels like a Main class rather than an alt), so cannot offer specific class advice other than read player guide for tips. For now, enjoy playing and learning the class!

Just stay away from Lesser Faydark for now, until Nybright Sisters become viable. Brownies and Equistrelle the Corrupted will make exploration an almost certain CR.
Riotgirl - formerly High Elf Enchanter | Ayonae Ro
Old 05-28-2015, 04:03 AM
Planar Protector

Check the wiki on bards for some tips. Sense heading and swimming are good to put one into. The weapon skills you'll learn by doing. Bone chips sell pretty good and easy to players, other junk to NPC vendors.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:04 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riotgirl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Time is money, and convenience pays.

Stacks of bone chips, silk swatches, and bat wings can be sold to other players who auction in OOC. In later levels, HQ Bear Pelts go for around 30pp. EC is the best place to sell bear hides.

Stick to GFay for now - plenty of low level critters and space to practice your Bard songs, and learning how to twist. Fighting Orcs in Crushbone will be the next obvious step. Then standard lowbie advice applies re: working on trade skills to become self-sufficient i.e. cloth / patchwork, vendoring low level loot for songs / spells / saving up for next AC upgrade.

I know next to nothing about Bards (too much twisting for me - feels like a Main class rather than an alt), so cannot offer specific class advice other than read player guide for tips. For now, enjoy playing and learning the class!

Just stay away from Lesser Faydark for now, until Nybright Sisters become viable. Brownies and Equistrelle the Corrupted will make exploration an almost certain CR.
Thanks, this is good advice. Was going to see if I can make the trek over to EC soon.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:24 AM
Planar Protector

Welcome Aboard. Women seem to make better Bards than men do to me. Twisting is not easy with big fingers I guess. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

There is a lot of Bard Guides on Wiki and the Web. We will never get Melody on here so it is twisting or making some key shortcuts which I find not to be very efficient when a note drops, which it will.

It is a great class on here if you are good at it. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Yes, The EC Tunnel is pretty much the place to sell buy things on this game. Bard Songs are really not that much plat, and if you kite to XP you can get by with really no need for any gear on paper. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-28-2015, 04:20 PM
Fire Giant

Make macros for your songs instead of double tapping them to start/stop.

Song 1

/stopsong
/cast 1

Song 2

/stopsong
/cast 2

etc etc
Old 05-28-2015, 04:59 PM
Fire Giant

sell cb belts to lazy people with too much money and you'll have more than enough for your spells and a set of banded
Old 05-28-2015, 05:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kender [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
sell cb belts to lazy people with too much money and you'll have more than enough for your spells and a set of banded
That's good advice, there's always buyers - don't let them get anything less than the going rate.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:07 PM
Planar Protector

i remember buying and selling CB belts in gfay on my first toon here.

ahhh the memories.

made 500 plat and headed straight to EC tunnel.
Closed Thread