Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 01:35 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle
Default Ishkurs Guide to Electronic Music

You guys ever have a website you liked a long time ago, forgot about it, suddenly remember it, but can't find it, give up for a few years, remember it again, and suddenly find it after a decade or more?

That's what happened here, sadly, the original website in all its glory(pictured below) has been replaced with a much more robust history and much better web compatibility(RIP FLASH).

This guy really nailed down how to learn about something, even as niche as electronic music sub genres and timelines. What makes this great, if you've likely never heard of it, is he provides a sound sample for every genre, includes them chronologically, and some great dialogue, this guy sounds like the ultimate russian doomer with his style of writing, but it's still great.

https://music.ishkur.com/

Let me know your favorite genre or quote if you like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nostalgiamus.jpg (24.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-20-2021, 01:43 PM
Planar Protector

I kinda like it all but i find myself falling back to ambients and stuff like progpsy

when i was a kid i liked stuff like that hard techno and house, dutch house

once everything kind of blurrs together i'll flip genres for a bit than back

there's good songs in every genre, a genre doesn't make the music good automajicaklly

sweet website
Old 01-20-2021, 02:49 PM
Planar Protector

That pic you posted is amazing Knuckle.

I call it all "techno" because that is what people understand, and I am not a genre police elitist kinda person so I don't care what the name is.

Bottom of the list in techno genre is the new pop style techno from guys like Avicii that stuff goes away from the parts of techno I like so much that it actually makes me kinda mad.

Top of the list in techno genre are a few songs from what were the good old days for me, like "enter the future" by dj energy

then all of the DDR songs like "drop the bomb" and "soldier of fortune" and "ba kwah" or something like that.

Then I like happy hardcore style, like Scooter, Lasgo

A lot of individual songs that stand out as being incredibly amazing, like "omnibus" and "star child" and "star child 2"

There aren't a lot of artists that I like whole heartedly though. Like DJ energy, a lot of his stuff doesn't do it for me despite "enter the future" being one of my favorite songs of all time.

I also like things closer to europop like a few songs by the artist E-type

And getting away from techno much more into electronic pop, I like the two or three latest albums from Robyn besides the newest one which was kind of a miss for me.

I really like that website can't wait to dig in sometime.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:55 PM
Planar Protector

oof I'm happy you found this fountain of your youth!
Old 01-20-2021, 03:04 PM
Planar Protector

It really is a thing from the days before "social media" pretty much successfully destroyed the internet.

Actual content on an actual website that isn't only existing to sell you something. My goodness.

Amazing and inspiring. I am going to start a website in the olden ways soon.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:09 PM
Planar Protector

Gunna put this up for best thread in 2021 even though its only january. Thanks knuckle.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:13 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That pic you posted is amazing Knuckle.

I call it all "techno" because that is what people understand, and I am not a genre police elitist kinda person so I don't care what the name is.

Bottom of the list in techno genre is the new pop style techno from guys like Avicii that stuff goes away from the parts of techno I like so much that it actually makes me kinda mad.

Top of the list in techno genre are a few songs from what were the good old days for me, like "enter the future" by dj energy

then all of the DDR songs like "drop the bomb" and "soldier of fortune" and "ba kwah" or something like that.

Then I like happy hardcore style, like Scooter, Lasgo

A lot of individual songs that stand out as being incredibly amazing, like "omnibus" and "star child" and "star child 2"

There aren't a lot of artists that I like whole heartedly though. Like DJ energy, a lot of his stuff doesn't do it for me despite "enter the future" being one of my favorite songs of all time.

I also like things closer to europop like a few songs by the artist E-type

And getting away from techno much more into electronic pop, I like the two or three latest albums from Robyn besides the newest one which was kind of a miss for me.

I really like that website can't wait to dig in sometime.
I've always been fairly generic, I like Paul Van Dyk's style of "trance" and a few of the wave movements.

Electronic game rearrangements like on ocremix have been a multi decade addiction I frequently revisit. I feel like "game music remixing" should have it's own genre due to its growth and popularity but i suppose it would be bucketed under one of these 'sampling' type genres.

And yeah Gustoo, this website really is amazing, I actually am amazed at how much content has been added since I last visited. Feel like I'm in the ultimate interactive wiki on electric music history of the 20th century.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:15 PM
Planar Protector

I think when we do things genuinely like build something cool just for the fun of it and to help others (not to toot our own horn) it is a great stepping stone and i'm not accusing ppl of doing that, I am encouraging it and saying its a good idea

i need to find something like that too, and just make it, for fun, and good
Old 01-20-2021, 04:11 PM
Banned

Great brad pitt avatar
Old 01-20-2021, 04:28 PM
Banned

Default a e s t h e t i c

Going through a phase exploring this stuff. The nostalgia trips are real for me, find myself fascinated by the creativity.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
“Vaporwave is inseparable from the internet,”
Quote:
Vaporwave is an internet-based microgenre that is characterized by distinct low-fidelity, or lo-fi, beats skillfully paired with heavy sampling of existing media to produce music that sounds refurbished, post-modernized, retro and futuristic – all at the same time.
Quote:
“The whole appeal of vaporwave is its use of remaining unknown, that in a world where nothing is private, it is refreshing to find something that feels like it was found in the dumpster of a thrift shop where it does not matter who it came from or who made it only that it takes you elsewhere, somewhere distant from reality,”
Quote:
Vaporwave has an extremely distinguishable aesthetic characterized by its use of vintage computer imagery and its satirical appropriation of old media and the romanticizing of ’80s and ’90s consumerist culture.
Quote:
Vaporwave also is a music and art genre that gained traction in 2010. Vaporwave artists steal, download, rip and record digital relics of the 1980s and 1990s, which include everything from Kmart Muzak to shampoo commercial footage. The resulting art pieces function both as an homage to and a critique of the late 20th-century capitalism that helped spawn them.

“In a sense, when we mine this old material for content, we're reading love letters to ourselves from the past,”
Edit Note: Vaporwave as well as other forms of synthwave depend on the artwork to help the listener understand the experience. Without the artwork it all sounds like electronic beats.
Last edited by Mblake81; 01-20-2021 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: forgot an important detail.
Closed Thread