Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 03:24 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flunklesnarkin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On another note, one aspect I never understood about P99 though is how its closed source.

My view on these emu projects is they should all be supporting each other in creating great content that caters to a variety of different likes/desires. Not trying to jam everybody into one server.

I can understand the fears about losing population.. but they have lost way more active players overtime just from the way the server is crowded at the top.

It also is kind of a philosophical thing too i suppose, I mean they are on one hand using as a basis for this server code that was written by Sony, then on the other hand saying nobody should have access to it but them.

More people working on servers means more people fixing code, modifying it, figuring out how it works and improving it in the different ways that the various interests want.

I think that velious server intends to release its source when it gets out of beta.
I do agree with this part 100%. It does kind irk me that they have gotten things working on here (corpses retaining illusions, items unequiped from npc corpses when looted, npc pets staying up when owner dies and having a loottable. And more) that still works on Live TODAY, and they keep it from the rest of the EQEmu community (which supports the server, and of which Rogean has a decent position in I might add) which doesn't have any of that working yet.

Not that I don't appreciate the devs and what they do. But seems kinda off that they would withhold that bit of the code. I can understand certain parts of it, I can also totally understand not releasing the database etc (which would enable someone to create a direct clone of P99 to compete etc) but to withhold tiny snippets of code and game functions like that? Why? Honestly from my perspective it implies they don't want to assist EQEmu in growth, or maybe even fetter it.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:28 AM
Planar Protector

They're concern about sharing the project code also leads to one of my biggest gripes about the project.

They don't have enough GM's for the population they have.

At least half of the gm responses on the forum have some complaint about a "backlog of petitions" or "the IP exemption thread being backed up" or them just being busy irl in general.

Not that they shouldn't have a real life.. but there are plenty of people out there who would be willing to pick up the slack.

they always say they are getting more guides.. but guides aren't what they need.. they need people who can fix problems.. not just observe and report to the already busy staff that they have.

another layer of bureaucracy that doesn't lessen the work load any. powerless "middle managers" aren't going to solve any problems imo.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Kobold

The code definitely needs to be released. There's alot of bashing on Sony for the same reason. I'd love to see some more servers using P1999's code. The server right now is just too top heavy. For casuals like me, the only fun left is just leveling up enough to unlock some cool spells/abilites , selling off class-specific gear, rerolling another char. Rinse and repeat. It's getting old fast. A little more room at the top would be great. The only real exception to this is being a cleric where there's lots of room at the top, because they're so F'ing boring that anyone who has one, wishes they were playing something else.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Project Manager

So this thread was about another server which is being created by old p99 players. Cool. Off topic, kinda. It's still about an alternate eqemu classic pve server which could be considered direct competition. I don't care about that. Good luck to them!

Now, it's about what people think we should do with our source code and how we possibly 'fetter' the growth of eqemu. Are you kidding me? Since releasing p99, we brought new people to eqemu. If they choose to play here or elsewhere is their business.

I have no problem with To0p or anyone else building a server. I do have a problem with people telling us what to do with our hobby. The goal of eqemu's stock code is to mimic eqlive; not classic eq. We have put tons of work into the server and a lot of that work isn't even desirable to eqemu itself. At this point, the source, the database, and to an extent the perl scripts are all proprietary. EQemu has been around since 2002. I joined the eqemu community in 2007 as a player and started developing in 2008. In that time, we somehow have something everyone thinks everyone else should have? Huh, wonder why.

Where I think you are very wrong is that releasing our source changes would bolster eqemu. Source contributions made by less than 5 developers are somehow stopping everyone else from succeeding? They always had, and still have the opportunity to make these changes, but do not. I'll tell you exactly what would happen. There would suddenly be 10-20 new servers all with no boxing, 1 boxing, 2 boxing, and every minor change imaginable. That would fracture the existing players into multiple corners where there would be no general consensus of what should be happening. The truth of the matter is consolidating work into a specific area and working towards a specific goal yields results.

Open source: It always sounds good in principle, but that's certainly not always the case. I wouldn't have needed to create project1999, because it would have already been done by a community which worked better being completely open source.

tl;dr: Turning this off topic thread into what you think is wrong with p99 is not cool. If you're going to use bandwidth of a server to complain about that server, take your gripes to the appropriate area of that server's forums. Or, better yet, keep it to yourself. The fucked up complaining I read here was definitely not 'off topic'.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Planar Protector

I'm sorry if you took anything I said as an attack on the project. I have said, in this thread even, that I think P99 has great potential. I was hoping what I was saying was coming out as constructive criticism but its hard to set tone across the internet.

and I think we both may be going to extremes in our descriptions about releasing all the code or not releasing any of it.. danyelle probably has the right of it with targeted help for other emu's for stuff that doesn't affect the proprietary nature of P99 (ie code that still works on live today).

I don't really consider the competition aspect between emu servers because people can play on multiple emus at a time and P99 really is top heavy (I'm not exaggerating there).

but you are right this should be about the new server and explaining what it is to others so I'll stay on that track in the future.

New velious server isn't huge pop atm.. the ooc channel is a global chat channel

they have a list of beta tasks they are testing out and trying to fix, there are bugs out there and things that need to be adjusted but they are working on them. The server is smooth and lag free.

From reading over on their forums, after they get velious out they intend to work on luclin and I'm not sure after that. but anybody who has a character on the test server will keep the character and they will launch a "live" server when its ready.. and keep the test server (no wipe) for testing new code snippets.

For all those items that were removed before velious like mana stones, rubicite, etc.. they will let it be available for a short time after server goes up.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Fire Giant

well said!
Old 07-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Planar Protector

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Rej8LugcQyI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Planar Protector

Nilbog you just nailed it spot on. Please don't ever give in to pressure from other developers. As you said it would completely dilute the community as there would be 10 different "classic" servers up all with a population of 50 people on each.
[XX Rogue] Hailto (Half-Elf)
Red:
[21 Wizard] Hailto (Dark-Elf)
Old 07-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tr0d (shaere) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
well said!
^ Well said!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailto [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nilbog you just nailed it spot on. Please don't ever give in to pressure from other developers. As you said it would completely dilute the community as there would be 10 different "classic" servers up all with a population of 50 people on each.
There was a complete misinterpretation of what I posted that you also seem to be following. I PMed nilbog with a clarification and apology for any unintended offense my post may have generated, to avoid further derailment of this thread. Whether he read it or not, I can't say. Either way, let's leave it at that and keep back on topic.
Closed Thread