Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 05:43 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Young paladin.

I am being told that I am dumb to be a paladin a lot ..... im level 35 paladin and im name Playforkeeps. I have ok gear but nothing special...some crusty and deepwater and other slot fill items with a baton of faith. Am I ok to keep going down my paladin path? I feel like i am strong as a paladin but everyone tells me I am not.. TY!
Old 01-29-2017, 06:27 AM
Banned

Play what you enjoy spending your time playing not what others think you should be enjoying! As with any class a well playing and attentive Paladin is gonna be far ahead of the pack. Strive to be the best in your class and one day you might surprise those naysayers.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:19 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caiu
Play what you enjoy spending your time playing not what others think you should be enjoying!
Old 01-29-2017, 08:07 PM
Fire Giant

Paladin in a group is probably the best tank. snap agro like a SK which doesn't rely on procs. they can heal which can help reduce downtime. they can lull pull. they can self CC with root if required. and later on if all goes to custards they can rez

the issue is they don't really have a raid role. they can off tank but no better than a sk which could also aid the pull group, or a warrior which in a raid are far superior tank option than sk and pally. They can heal a bit but no better than a druid or shaman who are better healing options and far below clerics.

in fact in a raid the only real reason to have a pally is the pally only HP buff

so... if you plan on raiding you'll prob get a lot of disappointment. If you only plan on grouping then ypu've made a good choice for a tank
Old 01-29-2017, 10:28 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kender [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Paladin in a group is probably the best tank. snap agro like a SK which doesn't rely on procs. they can heal which can help reduce downtime. they can lull pull. they can self CC with root if required. and later on if all goes to custards they can rez

the issue is they don't really have a raid role. they can off tank but no better than a sk which could also aid the pull group, or a warrior which in a raid are far superior tank option than sk and pally. They can heal a bit but no better than a druid or shaman who are better healing options and far below clerics.

in fact in a raid the only real reason to have a pally is the pally only HP buff

so... if you plan on raiding you'll prob get a lot of disappointment. If you only plan on grouping then ypu've made a good choice for a tank
@OP: The above post is accurate and well said, but don't let it discourage you. Remember that this only matters if you know for a fact you will go all the way to level 60 and that you also will seriously commit to raiding. If you do, yes you will not be your guild's main tank in Velious-level raids, but a Paladin can still tank almost any Classic / Kunark raid encounter just fine besides a few. On Velious raids, you will not have a significant role besides casting DS. But you will still find ways to contribute like patch healing (Paladins are underrated at this, I was able to keep my entire group topped off with HoTs, makes a big difference on long fights), LoH, training away adds, small dps (lol). Paladins shine in group settings though, not raiding, there's no doubt about that.
Last edited by Sage Truthbearer; 01-29-2017 at 10:31 PM..
Closed Thread