Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 03:22 AM
Banned

What am I doing wrong where I get this Reddit spacing on a single line break?

This looks like a single space in the Editor but will be doublespace when I post it.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:32 AM
Kobold

lol never met anybody else that uses asdf until now i guess

Got it from playing shooters like quake, counterstrike, etc. also home row typing etc. Don't have to move my fingers when I go to type messages.

Seen some criticism of it in here and will just put to rest. My fingers do not tire out faster just because forward key isn't on the top row, its never been an issue but my middle finger also isn't an inch longer than my index.. maybe 2 millimeters? idk but never been a problem.

Strafe running is still easy and no problem. I pretty much went to asdf like the first day of my gaming life. WASD was just so weird to me, didn't like the feeling of my pinky just floating around or sitting on the caps lock key. Switched my settings to asdf and never went back.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:33 AM
Banned

if u dont use WASD

you are a monster, sir
Old 11-14-2020, 08:48 AM
Planar Protector

I use the superior RDFG.

Place your fingers on D R and the G.

Go ahead. What's the first thing you notice? Your pinky on the Z.

Ahhh yeah.

Move it around a bit. See how it rests in the plastic hollow? It's just the right size. No more wallowing on the shift key, that monstrosity. No more getting stuck in the valley in between, all agree a most disquieting feeling.

What's your Z bound to? Don't matter the pinky is on it!
Old 11-14-2020, 09:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotay [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://wiki.project1999.com/Viewport

/viewport 240 0 1440 1080

First number defines left margin. Second defines, at a guess, bottom margin. Third and fourth define the width and height of the viewport itself. So you're defining a box and where it should be inside a rectangle. For maximum view breadth, the defined box should be a 4:3 ratio (1440x1080).
^

I am using a 4:3 1600x1200 monitor. My settings for this are /viewport 200 0 1200 800. This gives a 1200x800 box on screen, plenty for EQ.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:35 AM
Banned

I want to always stick to classic resolutions but I dont' want to upscale the app so I can see it so I just multiply by x.5 or something

the in game bbs message board in qeynos ftw

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Bone Knight Vision (patent pending)

https://vimeo.com/479285450

my fingers are too big for drg [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-14-2020, 10:52 AM
Planar Protector

I use WASD or arrows in EQ (liberally switch between both setups during gameplay depending on whether or not I'm currently using the mouse etc).

On regular FPS I tend to use WASD just because changing any keys is a pain on modern games - there are like 30 different hotkeys and changing anything usually means you have to change a lot of other stuff as all handy keys are already assigned to something.

The only FPS I play on a regular basis where I don't use WASD is Quake Live (modern version of Quake 3), that is the only FPS I know that is so extreme as far as reaction time and eye-brain-muscle connection requirements are, that I can gain an advantage of using something different from WASD.

Therefore, on QL I use a special setup which is:
O - strafe right
I - strafe left
L - backpedal
RMB - forward
AltGr - jump

Try this setup. It's less taxing on your left hand tendons than WASD and therefore allows to get that little bit of extra performance out of your fingers. The very relaxed and natural hand position is probably also less prone to tendinitis / carpal long term than WASD.

Also, the problem with WASD is that W and S are activated by the same (middle) finger, that has to move between the keys before it can press it. That's a few extra 100ths of a second completely wasted, that will add up over time.
Last edited by Izmael; 11-14-2020 at 10:56 AM..
Old 11-14-2020, 12:23 PM
Planar Protector

the S key is for cowards!

W only!
Old 11-14-2020, 01:21 PM
Banned

yeah with asdf i dont need to move my fingers for movement just press and go, it feels pretty organic now, ran it in eq for like 2 hrs so far getting comfortable with it, i just made shift f and shift s strafe me, no one strafes backwards, (except in pvp probably) but whatever lol
Old 11-14-2020, 07:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotay [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://wiki.project1999.com/Viewport

/viewport 240 0 1440 1080

First number defines left margin. Second defines, at a guess, bottom margin. Third and fourth define the width and height of the viewport itself. So you're defining a box and where it should be inside a rectangle. For maximum view breadth, the defined box should be a 4:3 ratio (1440x1080).
Wonderful, thank you! And also thanks, Jibartik, for the thorough response even though it wasn't quite what I asked. I appreciate the thought.