Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 05:53 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
SAVED PLATINUM AND FARMED FOR MONTHS/YEARS TO EARN THEIR EPIC
Sorry, you didn't earn your epic. You bought it. Very different. Whether you want to believe you farmed hard for years (lol) to buy an epic is a load of shit. Get your character to 46.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:58 PM
Planar Protector

Thumbs down

^ Troll, off topic, and toxic comment. Not respecting peoples time and effort put into earning their epic.

Grandfathering existing epics is a reasonable accommodation I would think, but based on the above post from guys like "wormed", maybe reasonable is becoming a rare resource around here.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:59 PM
Sarnak

@Haynar ,
not having one is not that big of a deal . its the taking away from those of us that do have them that I find wrong and what difference does having a ragebringer instead of a horn of hsagra at level 5 make ? not a whole lot so whats the big deal? the Problem is that People exploit the epic process for SELF GAINS and this I do not agree with .
let me also stress again that just having an epic at level 5 or 20 doesn't really matter I don't think its just that people will always seek out the BEST item available to twink with. that's how this works .... we play for pixels and community and we want the BEST of both .
Old 09-01-2015, 06:02 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry, you didn't earn your epic. You bought it. Very different. Whether you want to believe you farmed hard for years (lol) to buy an epic is a load of shit. Get your character to 46.
getting level 46 takes like a few hours in bard group in OT . if he earned the coin and was able to purchase some or all of his epic id say he damn well earned it . id like to remind people that solo casual folks are not always able to get epics via no guild help. so maybe this was the only way he could have gotten it as well .
Old 09-01-2015, 06:05 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can anyone give me a reason, other than leveling faster, why not having an epic at low levels is game breaking? Help me understand this. Really.

I can see the red ganking noobs. But what else is there that makes having an epic at low levels important?
I appreciate the willingness to participate in the conversation :P

It's not gamebreaking to not have an epic at low levels. I'm not really bothered by the change itself because I've never had an epic on this server in my 5 years of playing here.

What does concern me is the reasoning. There were lots of ways to get epics at low levels back in classic. They just weren't commonly used (or used at all) because in the long history of EQ, classic was a VERY short period and the vast majority of people who played during that window had no idea what they were doing.

An example. AoW never(ultra rarely?) died legitimately during Velious. Pretty sure he died day 2 of Velious here. The mechanics used to kill AoW were available back in classic. But they weren't used perfectly like they have been here. The spirit of classic would dictate that some un-classic changes be made to the encounter to ensure that AoW either cannot die practically will not die until custom content comes out.

The server is either classic, or its not. If you're aiming for classic, I would argue that there needs to be some kind of compelling in-game reason to make a non-classic change, like level requirements on epics. Compelling reason like the nerf on Ivandyr's Hoop. That actually was game breaking and needed to be fixed even if it wasn't classic to do so.

So is not having an epic at level 1 game breaking? No. Of course not. But is having an epic at level 1 game breaking? Not any more than having any other very powerful droppable loot at level 1. Epics aren't even BIS twink gear anymore for some classes. The absence of a "game breaker" compelling reason here should indicate that a non-classic change is not really appropriate.

Is this a giant change? Probably not. Not likely to affect a ton of people. Just seems like its going to ruffle more feathers than its worth. Doesn't make the game more classic and really hurts some people.

All that being said. Yep, its your sandbox. I'm just happy to be here. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Edit: Added some examples. The following language was not in the original post. "Compelling reason like the nerf on Ivandyr's Hoop. That actually was game breaking and needed to be fixed even if it wasn't classic to do so." and "The absence of a "game breaker" compelling reason here should indicate that a non-classic change is not really appropriate."
Last edited by maestrom; 09-01-2015 at 06:14 PM..
Old 09-01-2015, 06:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I appreciate the willingness to participate in the conversation :P

It's not gamebreaking to not have an epic at low levels. I'm not really bothered by the change itself because I've never had an epic on this server in my 5 years of playing here.

What does concern me is the reasoning. There were lots of ways to get epics at low levels back in classic. They just weren't commonly used (or used at all) because in the long history of EQ, classic was a VERY short period and the vast majority of people who played during that window had no idea what they were doing.

An example. AoW never(ultra rarely?) died legitimately during Velious. Pretty sure he died day 2 of Velious here. The mechanics used to kill AoW were available back in classic. But they weren't used perfectly like they have been here. The spirit of classic would dictate that some un-classic changes be made to the encounter to ensure that AoW either cannot die practically will not die until custom content comes out.

The server is either classic, or its not. If you're aiming for classic, I would argue that there needs to be some kind of compelling in-game reason to make a non-classic change, like level requirements on epics.

So is not having an epic at level 1 game breaking? No. Of course not. But is having an epic at level 1 game breaking? Not any more than having any other very powerful droppable loot at level 1. Epics aren't even BIS twink gear anymore for some classes.

Is this a giant change? Probably not. Not likely to affect a ton of people. Just seems like its going to ruffle more feathers than its worth. Doesn't make the game more classic and really hurts some people.

All that being said. Yep, its your sandbox. I'm just happy to be here. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
totally agree
Old 09-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by woad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am so shocked by how many people are praising this change ! first of all earning 25 to 100k takes a lot of dedication and farming . you have to kill , sell and trade your wares and then kill some more and then hope to find someone actually selling the epic parts you need . some require raid forces some don't . its just as epic as the epic IMHO! especially if you are not guilded !
the reason people buy these items for their twinks is because they are the best items available , you think people will quit twinking? NO! they are going to start paying 500k for frostreaver and willsapper loot rights and believe in 5 years of the same expansion that stuff will ROT OFTEN .
IMHO if you want to take MQ's out or make the level reqs 46 or whatever fine but don't punish those who have already put in the work to earn these items . there should be some grandfathered thing where those who have already gotten the quest finished can still equip .
and as far as the RMT fix they will prolly just go full blown into power leveling so all the noob zones will be bard swarmed to death .
but while we are making drastic changes I say we go ahead and make fungi tunics level restricted too since its by far the most USEFUL of all items to any class who can equip far greater than any epic at low levels .
you and others like you have totally missed the point

many epics coudlnt be completed until you were a certain level. the quest giver simply wouldnt talk to you or accept the items. Even the rogue epic has an NPC that wont talk to anyone below level 50 and that's the easiest to complete

IMO epic MQ's should be removed entirely so that people legitimately trying to do their quest dont get blocked out by farmers
Old 09-01-2015, 06:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^ Troll, off topic, and toxic comment. Not respecting peoples time and effort put into earning their epic.

Grandfathering existing epics is a reasonable accommodation I would think, but based on the above post from guys like "wormed", maybe reasonable is becoming a rare resource around here.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Or, "AzzarTheGod", just level to 46 and stop being a whiney bitch?
Old 09-01-2015, 06:45 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Or, "AzzarTheGod", just level to 46 and stop being a whiney bitch?
Lol this, he's probaby wants the grandfather rule in to stockpile on level 1 rogues with epics to rmt. No other reason to fight so hard for it.

Level 46 is VERY easy to get to.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:48 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Thulghor Send a message via MSN to Thulghor Send a message via Yahoo to Thulghor

Doing restrictions/patches based off of original developer intent now? When's that Soulfire nerf coming?
Closed Thread