Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 10-26-2023, 03:16 PM
Sarnak

Default Warrior questions

I don't know anything about warriors but I want to roll a melee character to twink on a new server and warrior seems like a good choice because it can dps, tank and is useful in raids. I'm always going to be a chanter main but it's more fun to gear out a melee.

Obviously I'm tempted to go Ogre, especially with access to the guise of the deceiver. There's no getting around the FSI and then the great stats. So I'm interested in the other races. Is Barbarian warrior clearly the 3rd best option, or is slam vs. kick not that significant?

I also have a little question about religion, specifically on a barb. Any compelling or interesting reason to not go agnostic, keeping in mind I'll have a guise.
Old 10-26-2023, 03:47 PM
Planar Protector

Monks a better choice for pretty much all the reasons you mentioned. If you’re set on raid tanking though FSI isn’t a huge deal since they fixed it a few years ago. If you plan to solo a lot troll is a good option for regen and also good stats. Slam has a higher skill cap than bash and kick and kick doesn’t stun until lvl 55
Old 10-26-2023, 05:34 PM
Sarnak

Definitely going with a war, not planning on soloing and the server pop is crazy now but I have some decent 'twink' gear to start like Rubicite BP, Executioner's Axe and SSOY. Will have some questions about gear later for anyone who wants to indulge me.
Old 10-26-2023, 09:38 PM
Fire Giant

If you plan on using a guise you lose FSI and slam anyway. Pick what you like, you already have some of best gear you can currently get.
Old 10-26-2023, 10:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you plan on using a guise you lose FSI and slam anyway. Pick what you like, you already have some of best gear you can currently get.
You sure about that? Thought guide retained FSI
Old 10-27-2023, 03:05 AM
Large Bat

Warriors are a great choice for a melee character, as they can deal decent damage, take a lot of hits, and be useful in any group or raid. They can also wear any type of armor and wield any type of weapon, which makes them easy to twink.

Ogre is definitely the best race for a warrior, as they have the highest strength, stamina, and FSI (Frontal Stun Immunity). FSI is very important for a tank, as it prevents you from being stunned by mobs that face you. Ogre also has the highest base HP and AC among all races.

The second best race for a warrior is Iksar, as they have the highest agility and innate AC bonus. Agility affects how often you dodge attacks, and AC affects how much damage you take. Iksar also has natural regeneration, which helps with downtime and survivability.

The third best race for a warrior is debatable, but I would say Barbarian is a good option. They have high strength and stamina, which affect your damage and HP. They also have slam, which is a special attack that can stun enemies. Slam is better than kick, as it can interrupt spell casting and give you more time to react.

As for religion, it doesn’t matter much for a warrior, as most of the gods are neutral or good. You can choose to be agnostic, which means you don’t worship any god and don’t have any faction penalties or benefits. You can also choose to worship Brell Serilis, the god of the underworld and the patron of dwarves and gnomes. Brell Serilis has some followers in Norrath, such as the Coldain dwarves and the Runnyeye goblins. You can also use your guise of the deceiver to change your appearance and faction temporarily.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:16 AM
Planar Protector

If you have moderate raiding goals an ogre will be easier to stam cap. Most our guild warrior bots are ogres for that reason. Bash immunity (FSI is misleading) really only helps with a shaman and SK. It might cost you a swing cycle. Being able to slam is very nice, mostly for leveling up. Kick at 55 is passable though since it can interupt casters.

Iksars are popular mostly on looks. The AC bonus is nominal. I understand about 30 or so. It’s the only race that can’t use an incanadine breastplate for invis or cobalt armor (the bracer is shrink). Shrinking for most fights is very important so you have to burn ant pots or group with a sham or warrior with a cobalt to get shrunk.

I soloed a gnome warrior up with 40% spell haste arms. It was fun and very easy. I wouldn’t count a gnome out from one of the top picks for this reason alone. Plus the dex click is like 30 and stacks with anything outside Avatar. Halfling sneak is really good too. The evil races have 15-20% exp penalties which sucks for a solo person. An ogre walking around with 50 more unbuffed strength than most is a dps bump and slam is handy, I’m not sure it makes up for the xp penalty. Straight dps wise 40% haste is legit good and saves you from having to quest the eyepatch of plunder (only 20% haste)
Last edited by Snaggles; 10-27-2023 at 09:20 AM..
Old 10-27-2023, 09:39 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you have moderate raiding goals an ogre will be easier to stam cap. Most our guild warrior bots are ogres for that reason. Bash immunity (FSI is misleading) really only helps with a shaman and SK. It might cost you a swing cycle. Being able to slam is very nice, mostly for leveling up. Kick at 55 is passable though since it can interupt casters.

Iksars are popular mostly on looks. The AC bonus is nominal. I understand about 30 or so. It’s the only race that can’t use an incanadine breastplate for invis or cobalt armor (the bracer is shrink). Shrinking for most fights is very important so you have to burn ant pots or group with a sham or warrior with a cobalt to get shrunk.

I soloed a gnome warrior up with 40% spell haste arms. It was fun and very easy. I wouldn’t count a gnome out from one of the top picks for this reason alone. Plus the dex click is like 30 and stacks with anything outside Avatar. Halfling sneak is really good too. The evil races have 15-20% exp penalties which sucks for a solo person. An ogre walking around with 50 more unbuffed strength than most is a dps bump and slam is handy, I’m not sure it makes up for the xp penalty. Straight dps wise 40% haste is legit good and saves you from having to quest the eyepatch of plunder (only 20% haste)
Op is playing on quarm, gnomes arent really viable until velious gear. For p99 I 100% agree
Old 10-27-2023, 10:16 AM
Planar Protector

p99 uses a ac hard system different to classic and live. Also presumably different to Quarm, so it may be difficult to apply experience of iksar / ac bonus from here to there.

I'm really bad at finding relevant code on github, tbh that isn't my skillset domain, anyone able to pull the server AC calculations from quarm's open source so we can see at what point iksar bonus is calculated?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 10-27-2023, 11:09 AM
Planar Protector

Its everquest, play what you think looks cool.