Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 06:52 PM
Planar Protector

rooted tov raid mobs
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:10 PM
Planar Protector

I foresee only one reasonable way to add custom content to Blue without altering its core essence and raison d'être, which is EQ Classic-Velious at museum quality.

That only way is PvP. But make it optional - and rewarding. Here's how:

- Create a level 65 warrior mob with 32k HP.
- Give him a very large loot table of maybe 200 items, including AoN, CoF, FBSS, Yak...Basically some nice stuff and some obsolete but still fun stuff (why: because it will add to the fun. Getting double AoN would mean 1 in 200x200 = 1 in a 40,000 chance).
- Make him drop 4 items from this loot table at each kill
- Make him spawn every 30 hours or so, in the center of the Arena and root him there
- Make it clear that PvP is allowed in Arena as a means of competition for the loot dropping mob.

Watch people suddenly starting to get interest in EQ PvP, guilds form, fun dynamics take shape at the Arena.

PvP adds an extra dimension to EQ. And there will never be need for any other custom content on Blue, as this will be enough to keep a lot of people busy and competing. But those who don't want to - don't have to, just stay out of the Arena.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:29 PM
Sarnak

instanced raids in the planes, VP, ST, NToV etc so people don't need to sock for hours / days of their lives and if they just cant hack the fight they need to farm up [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-14-2019, 01:57 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it's entirely "add this post-classic zone/entire expansion" or "add epic 2.0s" through "i wanna be a half dragon half celestial sex assassin"
Or pointless snark. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

For me it's more "use this non-classic zone as a basis, then add in classic mobs and potentially drops to flesh out the Old World based on original maps or lore".
Old 10-14-2019, 10:05 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I foresee only one reasonable way to add custom content to Blue without altering its core essence and raison d'être, which is EQ Classic-Velious at museum quality.

That only way is PvP. But make it optional - and rewarding. Here's how:

- Create a level 65 warrior mob with 32k HP.
- Give him a very large loot table of maybe 200 items, including AoN, CoF, FBSS, Yak...Basically some nice stuff and some obsolete but still fun stuff (why: because it will add to the fun. Getting double AoN would mean 1 in 200x200 = 1 in a 40,000 chance).
- Make him drop 4 items from this loot table at each kill
- Make him spawn every 30 hours or so, in the center of the Arena and root him there
- Make it clear that PvP is allowed in Arena as a means of competition for the loot dropping mob.

Watch people suddenly starting to get interest in EQ PvP, guilds form, fun dynamics take shape at the Arena.

PvP adds an extra dimension to EQ. And there will never be need for any other custom content on Blue, as this will be enough to keep a lot of people busy and competing. But those who don't want to - don't have to, just stay out of the Arena.
I like /guildwar
Old 10-14-2019, 10:44 PM
Sarnak

Plane of Power without cats on the moon
Old 10-15-2019, 01:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Or pointless snark. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

For me it's more "use this non-classic zone as a basis, then add in classic mobs and potentially drops to flesh out the Old World based on original maps or lore".
how are you going to make the zone or mob art style classic when they completely revamped the game's graphics with luclin?
Old 10-15-2019, 02:25 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
how are you going to make the zone or mob art style classic when they completely revamped the game's graphics with luclin?
It's a fair point and why I said in a post above that doing this while maintaining art style, lore feel, drop balance etc will be the complex part, and why it will take months to do this. It's not "ready made content" by any stretch.

Some of the LDoN zones would just look odd so are non-starters, but the graphics overhaul was not a big quantum leap so some zones could fit within the classic feel.

Realistically any custom content will erode the purity of 'classic' - but with the Green cycle that becomes pretty irrelevant. The question will just be how far from classic do you want to go? Zones with slightly better graphics, but classic mobs and itemisation? Or as you say do we want to go to vampire romance paladins who can fly? I know which I'd choose.
Last edited by Quinas; 10-15-2019 at 02:29 AM..
Old 10-15-2019, 03:10 AM
Fire Giant

There were always incremental changes to zone design/appearance. Kunark and Velious were both more graphically impressive. And like I said earlier, I suspect that textures could be edited/substituted or even just have their resolution lowered might do it.

Myuharin <Force of Will> & Myuharin the Revenant
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth View Post
6 hybrids in one group.. i believe you may actually LOSE experience per kill.
Last edited by uygi; 10-15-2019 at 03:18 AM..
Old 10-15-2019, 03:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Realistically any custom content will erode the purity of 'classic' - but with the Green cycle that becomes pretty irrelevant.
agreed on the former, not on the latter

imo there are a lot of Pantheon Green1.0 hypemans who are invested in that narrative because they've lost the passion for everquest and think green will reinvigorate it, and they want everyone on Blue to join them on Green by hook or by crook. but it won't. anyone who's played UO classic emus knows how this goes, those people will be gone again shortly as they hype themselves up for the next thing to project their childhoods onto when Green1.0 fails to do the trick.

green is the seasons server that soaks up people who play everquest competitively and who want a particular nostalgia fix. blue is the infinite timeline classic server for people who think everquest is a neat game in its totality, not just the competitive or character progression aspects. acting like either server is irrelevant or disposable will only make both servers worse.