Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 08-10-2022, 03:38 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This thread just shows how far from classic P99 is. In classic no one would ever have picked Enc/Enc/Cleric for the best trio group.
yeah we would have all rolled paladins because how OP is it to both be a tank and be able to heal yourself?

THat's what we all thought back then. Plz drop your agenda.
Old 08-19-2022, 04:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twochain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yeah we would have all rolled paladins because how OP is it to both be a tank and be able to heal yourself?

THat's what we all thought back then
Lol so true
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 08-19-2022, 04:27 PM
Planar Protector

I believe even the developers thought that, which is why they gave them EXP nerf ha
Old 08-19-2022, 04:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twochain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

THat's what we all thought back then. Plz drop your agenda.
My agenda is classic EQ, and it should be your's too. You can still find records of that game on the Wayback Machine. People didn't talk about the best trio back then, but they did talk about the best 6-person group. I found it a fun read.

You'll notice not a single person in that thread mentions even two Enchanters, except for one guy making a joke:

Quote:
6 enchanters! Oh, wait...nevermind.
Now, I know what you'll say: "people in classic lacked knowledge" ... but we lack classic knowledge too! Everyone here has all but forgotten what live was like, so everything we "know" about how classes work comes from our emulator. This is why so many people vehemently defended the classicness of completely unclassic stuff like combat bind wounds.

The people in that thread (or most of them at least) had been playing the game for two years, That's not ten years like some people here, but it was still plenty of time to learn how to play EQ, and their thoughts are not ridiculous. Take:

Quote:
1. Troll Warrior
2. Dwarf Cleric
3. Erudite Enchanter
4. Troll Shaman
5. Iksar Monk
6. Erudite Wizard
That's a solid group on any server. So are most of the (serious) suggestions ... and yet no one even considers using Enchanters for DPS.

So either ... A) we've all been playing on a perfect emulator this whole time, we all are true experts on how the game worked back in '99, and as a result we all know how to play the game so much better than people back then did that we play completely differently ... just with one class ... or, as the wide disparity from classic sources and here shows ... our emulator isn't perfect.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-19-2022, 05:00 PM
Planar Protector

oh please, that is just a DND group, thats someone talking about what they Imagine the best group would be!

In fact... it kind of trends towards myargument: B) people were retards back then!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-23-2022, 12:36 PM
Fire Giant

I agree with OP, Enc/Dru/Clr snap pick. Spawn timers are stupid long in everquest, with enough DPS you'll outpace the monster spawns around you so having additional DPS is fuckin pointless. What isn't pointless is being able to be wherever you want to be whenever you want to be there and having a permanent SoW / snare bot. Makes trio'ing dungeons a breeze since you never have to worry about fleeing mobs training bullshit onto you.

Any moment you're all just sitting there waiting for respawns is DPS you didn't need.
Old 08-23-2022, 01:28 PM
Aviak

Enc/Dru/Clr is super strong but none of those classes are even remotely fun to gear out.
I would think enc/dru/monk would be way more fun in the long run and also extremely strong. greaing out the monk at least would be something for your team to work on in addition to everyone's epics. Fungi/tstaff/CoF are all attainable with the appropriate amount of pp grinding or great luck.
Old 08-27-2022, 04:11 AM
Planar Protector

Don't do the same old boring combo, try something new.

Try Sham/Rog/Rog

Shaman slows/tanks, rogues melt merb
Old 08-27-2022, 11:46 AM
Planar Protector

All iksar sham / monk / necro, no twinking. This is the way.
Old 08-29-2022, 04:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All iksar sham / monk / necro, no twinking. This is the way.
This would be really fun I'm sure. I mostly duo'd my necro into the 50s with my brother's shaman. The duo has excellent synergy. Adding a monk in would be awesome. All that passive iksar regen for 3 classes that would make good use of it too.