Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Kobold

LOL at this whole thread, I've played MO beta and live and this game is absolutely horrible and has the worst dev team around. Please don't compare it to vanilla EQ.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanidor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey stormlord, I tried checking out a few youtube videos of Wurm Online. It's pretty cool how there's so much stuff you can do in that game. One thing that I would personally consider a major turnoff is the combat though. It kinda looks worse than even EQ combat, lol.

If only they had a new sandbox mmo coming out with combat similar to Dark Souls. Holy cow, the combat in that game was so fun and challenging. It's been a long time since I ran into such an enjoyable game. It's a shame how easy a lot of the mobs became if you had multiple people though. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ya the combat is kind of conventional. But I don't have high FS and haven't completely explored it yet. At my meager level of skill, combat is automatic. There's a defensive and offensive stance. The different weapons in the game are based on how much they help offense or how much they help defense. So if you're tank you want a weapon that parries. If not tanking then you use a more offensive weapon.

There're some neat things, but it's not exactly like EQ. Ya, it has corpse runs and lacks an in-game map and feels old school, but not a lot else in common. In fact, it has as much or more in common with Ultima Online as I knew it over 10 years ago. There's no real CC in Wurm Online like in EQ. There's no pacifying or rooting or snaring or mezzing that I can see. Therre're no big trains. Healing is primarily done via bandages and healing covers. So far the hunting and techniques feel very much solo-oriented rather than group-oriented.

But creatures in Wurm do respawn in random places near to their lair with random attributes and age and die. You can destroy their lairs or even pen up the creatures and stop more from spawning. If you don't kill them they will wander with no restrictions on how far. You can outrun them most of the time if you're not carrying much. Or you can ride your horse and nothing can catch you. I've never see animals attack each other.

The game is just so big. So many things. It doesn't add a lot of flesh to individual things. Things are often unplanned. It's really when all these things converge together where the fun comes from.

A lot of Wurm Online is about building your first house and settling with other players to build a village. In the longer term, you leanr how to hunt and you plan to build elaborate structures like castles. Playes that wnat a serious challenge will go to the pvp servers, like Chaos. OR they'll go the less moderated epic pvp servers.

It's a game that requires patience. You have to read the wiki. There're 130+ skills and lots of craftables. Takes a while to learn. It can be very grindy since most of the skills, at least on their own, are very repetitive.

Like I said, the game is what happens when all of its pieces converge.

Here're a few thigns you can do:
1 Make a farm and tend and harvest its crops (many types)
2 Fish and use the fish for cooking (fishing is boring, but there's deep-sea fishing too)
3 Build a custom house in whatever way you want, including multi-stories
4 When you craft items, you can name them and your name is engraved on them
5 Terraform the land (you can't terraform on deeds where you don't have permission)
6 Build land bridges (lol; this is a consequences of terraforming; there're no bridges yet)
7 Build boats and ships for sailing to distant landmass quicker and for trading goods
8 Tame anything mostly; horses, pigs, bears, deer, etc
9 Breed animals; for whatever reason; seems boring to me
10 Create tunnel underground for mining; more features are coming for building underground
11 Use melee weapons when hunting creatures or make a bow and use that
12 Go to a pvp server and lockpick deeds to steal things
13 Raid in pvp to destroy other communities and to drain deeds
14 Build stone houses and castles in whatever proportions you can afford
15 Make your own kingdom on a pvp server; need 50 players
16 Make a deed and invite settlers to become a permanent presence on the server

That's just what I can thiink of right now. There's more.

Best thign is it's only about $13 for 2 months of play. This is my 3rd month and I haven't needed to spend any silver. 10 silver is about $13. All it does is allow you to skip things; which i think is detrimental. The reason I think ti's bad is because the game is too grindy unless you do lots of things. When you spend silver to buy items or to pay others to do things, you're essentially robbing yoruself of diverse gameplay. But I suppose all this does is just limit the amount of potential content. For some people it might work. But it's overused.

So I think it might be better without the ability to buy in-game money/resources/etc. I think that paying for land is mostly ok, but you want to cap it otherwise rich players will own everything.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 03-22-2013 at 03:09 PM..
Closed Thread