Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 03:53 PM
Fire Giant

Well. Discord is still up, but the website and server are down. Project lead disclosed that they've been hit with a legal action of some sort. So that's that. It could have been from NC Soft, it could have been from the current company that owns Heroclix over the CoH characters they're using for that game, it could be anything. The game's source code is still in the wild and where there's a will to play or make money, there's a way.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:13 PM
Planar Protector

Dead before it even had a chance.

Hopefully whoever sent the cease and desist notice isn't doing so just to protect their IP; hopefully they actually want to make money off it. And if that's the case they'll either start their own server soon, or sell a license to let someone else do so.

Either way it won't be free, but it'd still be nice to have the game back.

Alternatively someone could instead go the EQ Emulator approach and "blindly" re-create the game's server software "from scratch" (although in such cases devs have been known to carefully/unofficially "peek" at the official source code to get details right) ... but then they'd be in the same quasi-legal state as P99, and whoever owns the rights might not be as forgiving as Daybreak.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-22-2019 at 04:16 PM..
Old 04-22-2019, 04:16 PM
Banned

fuckin dammit, I was looking forward to playing when I got home...
Old 04-22-2019, 04:19 PM
Banned

From the subreddit:

Quote:
"We have some bad news, folks. This server, as of right now, has to be shut down indefinitely. We are on a direct course for legal action. As such, steps must be taken in order to protect the people involved in this project, their families, and their futures.

As with all of you, we are heartbroken. We wanted to see our City return, but to do so at the destruction of the lives of those involved is too great a risk to take. However, this project is not finished. We will continue to work towards the revival of City of Heroes with all efforts that we can make. We cannot give you all a time frame at this time.

We are in discussions to do what we can to revive some form of the server, however we do not wish to commit to a point in the future that we may not be able to reach. You have trusted us to this point. We ask you to extend that trust, and we will in turn do everything within our power to prove to you that we are deserving of it.

To everyone who has donated time, blood, sweat and tears, and logged in to prove that this game still wishes to live - we thank you, from the bottom of our hearts. This first step could not have been taken without you, and it is you, the most dedicated fanbase in the world, that will keep us moving forward.

Just remember we did the impossible this weekend. We will see you all in Paragon City again. City of Heroes does not die today."
Old 04-22-2019, 04:22 PM
Planar Protector

Well, that's unfortunate. it seems strange to me that a dead game could be costing any company any money to care about it. NCsoft let a shitload of private servers exist for lineage 2 for a long time, probably still running today even while the retail MMO still existed and was making money.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:26 PM
Banned

Remember when Marvel tried to sue City of Heroes because people were making knock-off Marvel characters?

Maybe it's Stan Lee's ghost sending the cease and desists?
Old 04-22-2019, 05:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, that's unfortunate. it seems strange to me that a dead game could be costing any company any money to care about it. NCsoft let a shitload of private servers exist for lineage 2 for a long time, probably still running today even while the retail MMO still existed and was making money.
copyright is weird like that. if you don't enforce it you don't own it anymore.

good luck with your game fellas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-22-2019, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
good luck with your game fellas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
GET OUTTA HERE!!!! MOM, HE'S IN MY ROOM AGAINNNNNNN
Old 04-22-2019, 05:23 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Trizz' toon on the far right
Old 04-22-2019, 05:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
copyright is weird like that. if you don't enforce it you don't own it anymore.

I suspect it's less about the law and just the country of where the physical servers are located. The USA of course being one of the staunchest to support intellectual property, so it's easy to shut things down here.
Closed Thread