Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 01:03 PM
Sarnak

Default Ranger main hand questions

So I recently got a Blade of Carnage in a raid. After doing some calculations I came to the conclusion that a Swiftblade of Zek is actually better dps. My calculations are as follows but let me know if you see any errors or have parced these two weapons.

Before I start, I wanted to say that I have swiftwind in my offhand and a dark cloak of the sky. I will always be 90% hasted so I have my calculations reflecting that. Ill round to the second decimal for simplification.

BoC: ((15*2)+11)÷(23÷1.9)=3.39
SBoZ: ((11*2)+11)÷(18÷1.9)=3.48

Does this look right? If so, what is the appeal of the BoC over a Swiftblade? I haven't factored in strength but I haven't found any formula for that calculation.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:01 PM
Planar Protector

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...=ranger+weapon
Old 07-20-2021, 03:55 PM
Planar Protector

good link! ^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post

If you have proof of a staff member violating policies, you report it in a Forum PM to me [Rogean] or Nilbog.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:17 PM
Planar Protector

BoC : More ideal stats. Better offhand ratio. For all intents and purposes a knight tank weapon or a warrior ramp tank weapon/offhand dps

SBoZ: Better calculated ratio for MH due to dmg bonus in the high levels. Like half or a third the cost.

In practice they are likely both pretty similar dps. The SBOZ is just a more efficient MH for a dps across the board and a cheaper offhand for much less plat.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
BoC : More ideal stats. Better offhand ratio. For all intents and purposes a knight tank weapon or a warrior ramp tank weapon/offhand dps

SBoZ: Better calculated ratio for MH due to dmg bonus in the high levels. Like half or a third the cost.

In practice they are likely both pretty similar dps. The SBOZ is just a more efficient MH for a dps across the board and a cheaper offhand for much less plat.
More importantly he already had a thread about it, hope that helps.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:44 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I recently got a Blade of Carnage in a raid. After doing some calculations I came to the conclusion that a Swiftblade of Zek is actually better dps. My calculations are as follows but let me know if you see any errors or have parced these two weapons.

Before I start, I wanted to say that I have swiftwind in my offhand and a dark cloak of the sky. I will always be 90% hasted so I have my calculations reflecting that. Ill round to the second decimal for simplification.

BoC: ((15*2)+11)÷(23÷1.9)=3.39
SBoZ: ((11*2)+11)÷(18÷1.9)=3.48

Does this look right? If so, what is the appeal of the BoC over a Swiftblade? I haven't factored in strength but I haven't found any formula for that calculation.
First: congrats on the BOC! That's an awesome get!!

To answer your question though, my understanding is the same as yours based on an almost identical formula I use for comparing weapons that I found on the forums somewhere: in terms of raw dps the SOZ is better DPS than the BOC at level 60 due to the way mainhand damage bonus works.

The formula I use doesn't account for haste, but I don't think that matters?

BOC: [(15x2)+11.6]/23 = 1.81
SOZ: [(11x3)+11.6]/18 = 1.87

That said, I don't think I'd sweat the difference. Rangers aren't topping DPS charts anyway, and BOC is sweet.
Last edited by Philistine; 07-20-2021 at 06:52 PM..
Old 07-24-2021, 10:08 AM
Aviak

Correct me if I’m wrong, but with haste taken into effect, the delay of the weapon is rounded up to nearest whole number?
Old 07-24-2021, 11:35 AM
Planar Protector

When you are using formula don't take haste into it. It'll scale the same or close enough.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dablackgoku1234 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Correct me if I’m wrong, but with haste taken into effect, the delay of the weapon is rounded up to nearest whole number?
There were some rounding issues on weapons when hasted. There was quite a bit of dev commentary and action on it in live server, sometime but not so long after the OOW era.

Not sure how that plays out here.

Trying to find in era talk of this.

http://www.guildseofon.com/cgi-bin/y...663417/263#263

is the first post I found on the matter (Jun 29th, 2007, with a dead link to http://forums.monkly-business.net/viewtopic.php?t=15147

Next poster quotes text from the link:

"they are going to add up your "lost" delay on each round and give you an extra round after the loss adds up to the delay of a round."

Due to the date of these posts, I imagine this bug is present in eqemu / p1999.

The poster which quoted the above went on to comment the following:

"Say you have a weapon that should hit every 2.5 increments but the server only deals in whole increments.

What we have is the weapon hits on 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16 as in every 3.

What you describe would seem to be it hits on 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16 same as before but saves up a 1/2 increment bonus each time and gets two hits at tick 16.

Everquest always was developed by the math challenged. Lines on your computer screen are drawn by something called the Bresenham algorithm which smooths this out to 1, 4, 6, 9, 11, 14 etc. The technique has been widely known and used in basic graphics for many years. The math behind is absolutely trivial.

Does it matter? Probably. The latter method means a hit comes a tick sooner by tick 6. The former makes no difference until tick 16. Most likely it all resets and gets flushed if the player does something like cast a spell. Run your hour long parse and look ma it works. Play the game normally interleaving casting and melee and it all gets flushed.

Math challenged."

I hope this adds a bit of clarity to how haste / delay rounding errors function in early/mid EQ.

Edit again: http://www.monkly-business.net/forum...dHands-amp-YOU! another post/thread about pre-fix delay rounding in Everquest.
Last edited by Jimjam; 07-24-2021 at 04:53 PM..
Old 07-25-2021, 01:03 AM
Planar Protector

Personally if it’s not forbidden I’d sell the BoC and buy a MQ for a BFG. You would have enough left over for a Zek blade or close to it.

Even non-disc a BFG with tolan bracer arrows puts out really good damage. It averages higher than my 13/19 Vyemm whip. With 8dmg arrows and Trueshot it just wrecks. On non-rooted/non-moving NPC’s of course. So good to have another normal weapon.
Closed Thread