Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 07:19 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Best class for solo

I've never played Everquest before, and I don't know anyone who plays (besides which I only game casually). What would be the best class to solo play? I like to have what I call "utility" abilities. I don't know what that means on EQ, but in other RPG's, it could be: converting items into gold, creating food, identifying unknown items, recharging magic items with limited uses... that sort of thing.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:56 PM
Aviak

Necro
Old 01-27-2016, 08:50 PM
Fire Giant

As chipz says, Necro is a great starting point. Probably the least gear dependent class, followed by Mage. Necro has way more utility than a mage, who is pretty much a one trick pony. Enchanters are a great solo class, but they have a steeper learning curve. They are always welcome in groups as well.

If cloth casters are not your preference, Druids are another great choice. They have utility, solo really well and are not hugely gear dependent. At the highest levels, Shaman are the solo kings. However, they are a very gear dependent class.

If you're not a fan of clothies or priests, your options for effective solo are, Bards. Bards are great solo or in groups. They are not a gear dependent class in the least. They are categorized as a dps class, but it is universally known that their dps is pretty bad. They are the ultimate utility class that can dual wield and wear plate armor.

Other melee runner ups are ranger and shadowknights. Both are fairly gear dependent to effectively solo. Without significant gear neither class will level efficiently enough to compete with the above classes, but it can be done.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:50 PM
Sarnak

Shaman

Necromancer

Magician

Druid

Them are the most utilities I can think of.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:05 PM
Fire Giant

Necromancer or shaman.

Necromancer is a really good soloer throughout their lifespan - probably more efficient than the shaman on any camp with enough room to fear kite - and require almost no equipment or money. They also have a huge back of tricks; you'll probably be discovering new things about your necromancer even pretty late in the game.

Shaman is probably the best soloer in the late game. They can solo camps that other people would hesitate to duo. They do, however, require a lot of money to get there (you'll need to buy torpor at the very least, which is a six digit purchase, and invest time in getting epic and maybe a jbb).

If you are new, necro is probably the best choice. Easy to solo, cheap to equip, but still has a lot to learn, and will scratch your utility itch.

Enchanter gets an honorable mention here, but I feel they are more difficult to play than either of those classes. It's definitely more dangerous.
Crallos Rek - 35 ogre shaman
Timothe - 31 human enchanter
Variol Cutthroat - 27 human paladin
Telehr - 23 human magician
Old 01-27-2016, 11:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Other melee runner ups are ranger and shadowknights. Both are fairly gear dependent to effectively solo. Without significant gear neither class will level efficiently enough to compete with the above classes, but it can be done.
w/o gear pretty much to solo you will fear kite. But they do fine in player crafted armor for the most part. There are good drops out there to piece stuff in, but not something you can get solo until many levels after unless you had been in a group. Still, easy money to buy those pieces at EC. Armor quests are in game, helps a lot, later in game anyway.

But yeah, necro is the easy money class. If the OP is only playing to maximize profits, then prolly necro. Me, I recommend finding a class you like, play the game for fun, not as a second job. I've never capped a necro, I just don't find it a fun class, though I have played it up mid-lvl back on live. But i know lots of people like the class, and the SK is pretty nice with necro spells etc.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:13 AM
Kobold

Might I bring Bard up as best solo class.

Step 1: Hit level 2
Step 2: Learn to AE kite
Step 3: Learn to not be a tool while AE kiting
Step 4: Level 60 pretty darn quick

Bard is best utility class by far. Not dependent on gear. not dependent on mana. Great for groups if you can figure out pulling or CC. Later on you become vital on raids because resist songs and what you can bring for DPS (as in buffing other dps... you will never do dps).
Old 01-28-2016, 12:38 AM
Planar Protector

Enchanter has the highest potential. Hardest though... Well guess more shaman actually, but that takes ALOT of plat.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:31 AM
Kobold

Alright let's see...

"Utility" eh? Well, seeing as most MMO's after EQ did away with utility classes, I'm sure you'll be in for a treat with pretty much any of them here. Anyhow:

Converting items into gold You can't break items down like that here. Just vendor them or head to the East Commonlands tunnel and start shouting "WTS <item> xx Plat"

Creating Food Spell wise, nearly every caster. Mages in particular summon pretty much anything you can imagine. Tradeskill wise, anyone that wants to skill cooking.

identifying unknown items Not a thing. There is an identify spell, but it's not that sort of thing.

recharging magic items with limited uses Not something a class does. Some magic items can be 'recharged' through some tricky merchant manipulation. (See the wiki), others can be recharged through an NPC item turn in. And more items just can't be recharged.

As far as solo classes that have a lot of general utility, you can't be Bard. It can do, well, just about everything. It just does most of them for 18 seconds at a time. If you want super fast travel, Druids are great solo and have the ability to port all over the place. Necromancers can do some fancy tricks in a group as well as feed mana to other casters and are the ultimate "Welcome to EQ, here's how you solo" class.

Other good ones would be Shaman and Enchanter, although Enchanter will kick your teeth in if you try the fancy tricks without any idea what you're doing.

Hmmm... Mage is a really safe bet as well. They're sturdy soloers for most of the game and can summon up just about anything you'd need from thin air. Just keep your pet reagent stocked up and you're good to go.

Honestly, the only thing I'd suggest is not starting as an Iksar for your first character. Dive into the game on a good/neutralish race and figure out how the world works first. Nothing like finding a port out of Kunark and then realizing the entire world wants to rip your face off anytime you try and go near a town and not knowing where/how to bank/shop as one.

Welcome to the game [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-28-2016, 04:09 AM
Sarnak

How well does Monk solo in early and end game? Twinked vs not twinked?
Closed Thread