Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 09-13-2022, 04:30 PM
Large Rat

Default Returning Vet need some advice

Its been a long long time since I played EQ in a serious kind of way and everyone tells me this is the best place to experience true EQ in this age. So my questions are what classes are in demand at the moment if any and how would i be able to break into the raiding part of the game on Green or Blue?
Old 09-13-2022, 05:46 PM
Planar Protector

Welcome! If you want to raid, I wouldn't advise picking a hybrid class (Shadowknight, Ranger, Paladin).

Cleric, Warrior, Rogue are the core raiding classes that are always in demand, but they are rough to start out as without any gear.

Necromancer is the go to choice for most starting players. They solo very well without gear, and are quite useful in raiding as well.

Some people prefer to start out as a Druid due to their ability to make money selling teleports to players. You will still be porting/sowing people when it comes to raiding. So this may not be the best choice if you want to experience all the raids.

Guilds do have what are called "bots", which are shared characters, so any big guild can field whichever classes they need for the encounter. So if you want to be accepted into a guild, be prepared to play those bots when the guild doesn't need more of whichever class you end up choosing.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:41 PM
Large Rat

Thanks for the advice. Necro was my main back in 99 so i was thinking of trying something different this time. Again thanks for the response and the advice.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:24 AM
Banned

For a smoother experience, I'd recommend a first character who can earn money and can do a little of everything - just so you can prepare yourself for playing another class if you feel like it.

Druids are a great first class. You can earn money through porting people, they can travel easily (so you can familarize yourself with the zones again) and they do a little of everything (so you can discover what you really like to do)

Enchanters, Shamans, Necromancers, Bards and Druids are typically the solo classes but are also crucial in groups.

Enchanters and Shamans are awesome in groups but it seems they are everywhere so I wouldn't say they are in demand exactly. Clerics are always in demand. Tanks can be in demand at certain points, as well as Melee DPS like Rogues.

A lot of people will first play a money making class (anyone who can solo great/port people) and then invest a good amount of money into a melee character alt. Melee characters benefit the most by having good gear.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:59 PM
Sarnak

I would recommend playing what you enjoy. That will keep you engaged into the game. Once you get into a raid guild there are many shared guild toons if you want to play whats needed at a given moment. It's easier to let the guild coordinate it than you to focus on it yourself as a new player. You just have to be open to watching a few youtube videos on whatever needs done. And then you can spend that dkp on your class you want to play regardless of if its needed.
Old 10-12-2022, 04:26 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasarix [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the advice. Necro was my main back in 99 so i was thinking of trying something different this time. Again thanks for the response and the advice.
I did this (ie, playing something I didn't play on live) and have no regrets. Whether something is hard-mode or easier to start you're going to have to dump a lot of time into this game to progress. May as well be interesting and fun IMHO!

Also, when people notice you're new (and they probably will!) folks will sometimes gift you newbie gear that will help a lot, even if you choose something gear dependent.
Old 10-12-2022, 04:44 PM
Planar Protector

Don’t re-enlist. That’s my advice.
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 10-12-2022, 10:16 PM
Planar Protector

just play an enchanter, its the only class with readily available depth