Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 09-21-2022, 12:26 AM
Large Bat

Thumbs up Re: About GPL3 req's for open src?

To follow-up on the GPL3 req to share src code:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=394739

I'm not sure why this was closed (there was no staff comment), but if it's a GPL3 req to share the src code (and not the db), where can I find the src? It'd be cool to revive Red with some new rules, for example. I understand the db would be painful to recreate, but GPL3 grants anyone the chance to try.
Last edited by xurai724; 09-21-2022 at 12:32 AM..
Old 10-14-2022, 02:38 AM
Large Bat

Heya, just a friendly follow-up. Again, no obligation to share the DB since that's not GPL3'd! For any rare custom mysteries like a particular spawn time you want removed [although probably against GPL3], I'm sure no one would object that those would be reverted (with comments). I'd love to take a poke at the code the GPL3 license offers!

You guys said it yourselves - you're not even interested in Luclin, and clearly have no interest in pvp. It's a legal obligation to share, anyway, and without the db - we probably won't even get far. Why not at least give us the opportunity to try since bound by GPL3 to share it, anyway? The same opportunity p99 got by the same GPL3 license~ but with a nice headstart.

Perhaps toss us a repo link? Due to GPL3, whoever forks would have to share their code, too! You may find some cool results.
Last edited by xurai724; 10-14-2022 at 02:50 AM..
Old 10-14-2022, 10:52 AM
Planar Protector

The EQ emulator software can be found here:

http://www.eqemulator.org/
https://github.com/EQEmu/Server

The P99 modifications to it are not open sourced (ie. are not GPL3), and therefore the staff has no obligation to share it.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:19 AM
Planar Protector

loramin correct
Old 10-14-2022, 12:00 PM
Planar Protector

Check out the wiki. It has a ton of great advice. I've done alot of work the past year getting everything up to date. Any questions Dm me.
Old 10-14-2022, 10:04 PM
Large Bat

I'd really like to start from P99's template, though - since GPL3 requires you open source your work (including modifications), there's no need to reinvent the wheel. The modifications are included - just not the db. Folks don't GPL3 so you make 1 word change to the README and close the source.
Old 10-15-2022, 12:41 AM
Fire Giant

Pretty sure they aren't required to do anything, I'm not sure what you're talking about.
Old 10-15-2022, 12:57 AM
Planar Protector

I think the argument is that if everyone who made a change to GPL3 no longer was obligated to share their work, since it diverged from the original, the entire point of GPL3 seems to be negated.

I don’t know anything about it at all
Tho
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-15-2022, 02:46 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the argument is that if everyone who made a change to GPL3 no longer was obligated to share their work, since it diverged from the original, the entire point of GPL3 seems to be negated.

I don’t know anything about it at all
Tho
Yep, this. As a developer, myself, I don't mess with GPL3 licenses unless my code is open source. If it was MIT license, P99 devs could do anything they want with it - close the source, etc.

GPL3, though? If you use it, you are legally obligated to share what you made with it open src; that's the point of the license; essentially "You use it, you share it". Since P99 is derived from a GPL3 license, P99 code should technically already have been open source from day 1.
Last edited by xurai724; 10-15-2022 at 02:57 AM..
Old 10-15-2022, 03:17 AM
Planar Protector

It’s okay, Rogean conceded the next two dragons so it is water under the bridge.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung