Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 10-05-2023, 10:11 PM
Banned

I'm more thinking about toward the future. The public facing p99 website and public facing p99 forum might need to become more welcoming overall if the p99 team wants to compete going forward. This includes forum moderation that isn't currently happening. P99 is no longer the only game in town.

If these forums focused more on EQ community, P1999 community, and Gaming topic only type spaces to communicate with other folks interested in p99 I would enjoy it better then it's current setup. The 10 people you mentioned might disagree with me about that though and that's ok. Some appear to use this site as a therapist or friend as best as I can tell and that is ok I guess it doesn't cost them anything. There are only a few trained medical professionals on this site though, mostly unknown because of privacy, so the exchange is more peer to peer than anything that could be described as therapeutic in a clinical sense.

Many gaming companies/orgs decide to keep their forums relatively on topic to avoid drama that can distract from the games community that is being built. P99 forums instead has a community with RnF and a percentage of Off Topic which is essentially RnF that appears wholly disconnected from the game Everquest. These forums have survived many bouts of drama and political acrimony which have turned off everyone except for the 10 people Lune mentioned. RnF doesn't seem needed anymore in the era of Social Media. Social media is designed for RnF in ways this forum could never be without major programming changes to the forums code and design.

Updating the rules and enforcing them in a transparent manner in an environment with new competitive EQ Emu servers entering the scene would encourage more people to play P1999 and feel welcome here. Currently with the competition that is now out there the marketing of this server and how it differentiates itself might matter in the future more than it appears to matter now.

With all respect to many of those here, I am more interested learning about different and cool ways to play EQ from folks/vets that have been playing it for over two decades than I am interested in debating politics with other EQ players.

I can find more appropriate venues to do that.
Old 10-05-2023, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seducio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The 10 people you mentioned might disagree with me about that though and that's ok
There’s less than 10 people that post on this forum lol

You’re a good guy, Seducio
Old 10-05-2023, 10:49 PM
Planar Protector

Off topic was among the slowest subforums for like 90% of the life of P99. The death of all the other subforums has more to do with demographics and Discord use than anything else, imo. There just aren't a lot of bright eyed, bushy-tailed, ignorant newbies anymore running around asking questions. Of the people left playing P99, I would guess many are die-hard veterans, soloists, or not deeply embedded enough in P99 culture to bother with the forums.

I doubt removing the only semi-active subforum left on the site would cause the other subforums, on a slowly dying emulator, to spring to life. If I had to guess, by this point, EQ emus have captured about all the market they are ever going to capture, outside a few young stragglers that wander in.

If P99 really wants to compete it can restart green and segue blue into custom content or a customized Luclin that doesn't deprecate all of Norrath, or something.
Old 10-05-2023, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seducio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

With all respect to many of those here, I am more interested learning about different and cool ways to play EQ from folks/vets that have been playing it for over two decades than I am interested in debating politics with other EQ players.

I can find more appropriate venues to do that.
The problem with a lot of forums are they are either too large or have downvotes/upvotes, IMO

Too large of a forum and conversations get lost and buried under hundreds of replies

Downvotes/upvotes are trash, simply encouraging bandwagon bullying to silence opposing viewpoints. Whichever side has more people downvotes any dissenting opinion into oblivion
Old 10-05-2023, 11:02 PM
Banned

If this forum did get shut down I would miss the 40yr old men crusade-spamming the exact same line hundreds of times per week until they have some sort of a mild mental health breakdown over it and give themselves a break

Not calling myself perfect either. I’ve said many times that I feed off attention, and this forum gives it to me. The less attention I get here, the more I wither and die IRL. I dread the day I have to rely on only my more tame family friendly Facebook posts

Maybe I’ll start an IG next…do people shitpost there?

Edit: I know people that don’t like me will suggest 4chan. I’ve looked at it, and I can only read it for a few minutes before I want to throw up. Them dudes be gross…
Last edited by unsunghero; 10-05-2023 at 11:05 PM..
Old 10-05-2023, 11:17 PM
Planar Protector

btw, if this place ever goes under, Bay 12 Games (Dwarf Fortress) has a pretty bumpin' off topic, old style vbulletin type forum. Not quite as entertaining though, as they're about 5 years behind this place in the descent into madness.
Old 10-05-2023, 11:20 PM
Banned

Hmm I wonder if I could get the 4chan degenerates to come out of their basements into the sunlight and get a job, exercise, date, and socialize

I think I could if I could spend time with them IRL. But if I tried too hard on their forum I’d probably be just some pariah

But they truly are the Lost Boys of our time that no one really cares about
Old 10-05-2023, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
btw, if this place ever goes under, Bay 12 Games (Dwarf Fortress) has a pretty bumpin' off topic, old style vbulletin type forum. Not quite as entertaining though, as they're about 5 years behind this place in the descent into madness.
Good 2 know
Old 10-05-2023, 11:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by booter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
that's a good question. i've reported specific posts that have actual racism or anti-semitism to a few green names via PM and most of the time nothing is even done
lol
Old 10-06-2023, 09:09 AM
Banned

Don't worry. Pretty soon we'll get AI mods that will be infallible [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

😇😁 *cackles like Mr Heston mittens internally*