Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 12-08-2023, 05:06 AM
Sarnak

Assuming max gear which you likely never will get, going max sta will allow you to equip another MR-piece whilst still having capped unbuffed stamina. This is mostly useful for raid pulls but the number if times this will make or break a pull will obviously be few.

On the way to best-in-slot or near best-in-slot gear stamina will still be a useful stat as it also helps your mend.

Str isn’t that easy to cap unbuffed and is probably more useful whilst leveling but later becomes a dead stat.

Dex will not be capped with best-in-slot gear and will allow for faster procs of primal weapon. If you tryhard however you can proc off of holgresh beads before the fight but few ever do this. Proc affects proc rate so without a proc weapon it’s more or less a useless stat, monks do have a lot or proc weapons though.

So IMO dex or sta is the way to go. I went dex because I enjoy proc effects, I don’t really think it’s the best choice but it’s a passable one if that’s what you’re looking to do.
Old 12-08-2023, 05:19 AM
Fire Giant

When do you think you need more MR gear when you're in end game gear?

There is literally one item to swap out (chest).

I'd stack max dex. You always want more dex. Aggro generation and procs on a monk are incredibly useful in the endgame and you absolutely have no buffslots available to stack dex or avatar or stamina. If you're seriously in near endgame gear buffslots are your limitation in every instance. Charisma would be my other pick for DI.
Old 12-08-2023, 12:19 PM
Kobold

i did 10str/10sta on my handsome human monk. it really doesn't matter, lol. plenty of non-BiS/super coveted gear to jack your STA up. mix in some ss armor (that pants buff!), netted kelp, prexus totem, HGLs, BoBs etc etc and you'll be pushing 200 regardless
Old 12-09-2023, 02:11 PM
Sarnak

If you are twinking a new monk on a mature server, STA is the best choice for most. This is what most people are asking for with these threads. This is regardless of race.

If you are starting out as a monk on a fresh server, STR is the best choice and it's not even close. You won't be capping STR for a long time and it's a constant dps boost for your entire leveling progression, most of which you will definitely not be capping STR. STA is terrible HP returns for most of your leveling progression, and only really shines in later kunark/early velious when you are lvl 60 and don't have velious raid gear yet. It doesn't take long to hit 255 STA buffed in velious. The tradeoff is essentially having +20 STR while leveling for many months vs having uncapped STA for a few months.
P99: [52 Champion] Alysane (Barbarian) <Auld Lang Syne>
SZ : [65 Lord Protector] Cochise (Erudite) <Sanctus Lumen>
Old 12-10-2023, 10:00 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you are starting out as a monk on a fresh server, STR is the best choice and it's not even close.
Would like to add to this that if you're starting as a monk on a fresh server, you're human, and your weapon options are complete dogshit. So get what you can get with STR.
Old 12-12-2023, 09:50 AM
Kobold

I think there’s an argument to be made even for going all STA on a fresh server. I rolled a monk when green launched and split it half between STR and STA. I found myself pulling most of the time, benefitting more from more hp. If I did it again I would at least consider going all STA
Old 12-12-2023, 10:34 AM
Fire Giant

Pulling is more of a sustain/regen thing than a total hp thing, more STA doesn't make you a better puller at all.
Old 12-12-2023, 10:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by plzrelax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think there’s an argument to be made even for going all STA on a fresh server. I rolled a monk when green launched and split it half between STR and STA. I found myself pulling most of the time, benefitting more from more hp. If I did it again I would at least consider going all STA
Lots of situations where mend gets pumped. Obviously 20 stamina doesn’t improve mend that much, especially prior to 60, but even so it must accumulate a tonne of extra hp across a monk’s career.

Further, unlike other classes, many monks won’t loot until encumbered so strengh fails to practically improve carry.

Those are a big repped to sta and negged to str.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 12-17-2023, 06:36 PM
Fire Giant

You pretty much have to go over the monk soft cap if you're starting out, though. The game becomes horrific for a monk player if you don't.