Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 09-03-2023, 10:03 AM
Planar Protector

Geared and buffed rogues are great. With crap gear they are still solid. There are other options but that doesn’t negate the rogue as a solid pick. It’s sure easy to join groups being able to sneak down and even open some locks doors like for the seb crypt.

I don’t understand the binary bad/good decision most have with class choices. There ae dozens of combinations that work. Ideally with some basics out of the way but even then you don’t necessarily need slows, tank, cc, for most content. It’s easy to grind to 60, pick the class you want and ignore the noise.
Old 09-03-2023, 10:43 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It’s sure easy to join groups being able to sneak down and even open some locks doors like for the seb crypt.
I will say this is probably my favorite part about being a rogue. You can also easily check camps to see if they are open then invite friends.
Old 09-04-2023, 02:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revanx22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do rogues make a good class to main? I was wondering if the dependence on groups was a problem or not in the endgame. I prefer to group, but I've never played a class that couldn't solo in downtime.
I main a rogue, and i'm pretty anti-social. Its a lot of fun and I highly recommend it. It does suck sometimes when I wanna play my Rogue and no groups going on...without a fungi tunic soloing can be rough but This is why I made my shaman alt.

The best part about a Rogue is its straight forward simplicity imho. It's also its worst part since there aren't a lot of bells and whistles. One thing that is really hard not to have once you have it though is sneak/hide. I can just venture deep down into any dungeon I want and have no issues. For a player who likes to explore and take lots of screenshots its a real good time lol!

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Last edited by Evia; 09-04-2023 at 02:21 AM..
Old 09-07-2023, 02:03 PM
Kobold

i'd say rogue is a bad main character if youre comparing different classes abilities in getting themselves geared and providing twink gear for alts

best thing about rogue is having low maintenance playtime: never need to beg a CR, if a group has space they will probably take you, noone ever asks you to pull, easy raid job and always a welcome class, and most importantly, instant safe afk practically everywhere. rogue is slow to travel but what other classes can be instantly put down for RL concerns and not maybe die?

i did have to take up factioning and questing to stay sane for my rogue main though, i cant stand sitting around just ...... waiting for a group. lots of running around with LFG on/sending tells

EDIT: almost forgot the epic convenience of being able to use every bank and every merchant, and also the sheer fun of being able to explore almost any zone in 100% safety when you're bored or curious
Last edited by Tnair; 09-07-2023 at 02:05 PM..
Old 09-07-2023, 10:02 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnair [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i'd say rogue is a bad main character if youre comparing different classes abilities in getting themselves geared and providing twink gear for alts

best thing about rogue is having low maintenance playtime: never need to beg a CR, if a group has space they will probably take you, noone ever asks you to pull, easy raid job and always a welcome class, and most importantly, instant safe afk practically everywhere. rogue is slow to travel but what other classes can be instantly put down for RL concerns and not maybe die?

i did have to take up factioning and questing to stay sane for my rogue main though, i cant stand sitting around just ...... waiting for a group. lots of running around with LFG on/sending tells

EDIT: almost forgot the epic convenience of being able to use every bank and every merchant, and also the sheer fun of being able to explore almost any zone in 100% safety when you're bored or curious
I believe you mean monk for most importantly section of the post. Monk can get places rogue can't (mobs that see through Hide). If done right, Monk can also get there just as fast as rogue. (I've flopped down to Poop Mountain in Seb in a race with rogues and won) Monk is the ultimate, "I have to go right now" class for this reason. Feign death, /exit, and just remember to hit FD when you log back in.

But yeah, rogue is a great low-maintenance class, and is the second best at getting anywhere in the game. The big advantage of rogue over monk is the expectation from raids / groups. Monk are expected to pull, and rogue are expected to appear from hide and backstab until dead, then go back to hide until next mob in camp.

I think Rogue is a great main. Wonder how OPs doing now.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:44 AM
Fire Giant

If your playtimes or habits lead you to spend a lot off time alone, rogue is a poor choice. Aside from particular weirdos who like to insist that any class can solo, rogues can do nothing on their own. I'm an EU player who leveled a rogue from 1 to 55 this year, and if I logged in during off-hours, it was often just hopeless as there simply weren't enough players to get a group going. Even if I did manage to get people together in the afternoon, it was a nightmare anytime someone had to leave, because groups fall apart if it takes 20 minutes to find a new tank or healer.

If your playtimes are more peak-like, rogue is fine, though you probably do have to stick to the tired mainstream leveling route of Crushbone/Oasis > Unrest > Mistmoore/Highkeeep > City of Mist > Karnor's. Finding groups anywhere else is very unreliable, and if you bring your own group to an empty zone, you'll be spending more time waiting for replacement than you do actually grinding. There's a reason everyone sticks to the aforementioned path. Who wants to spend half an hour getting to some obscure zone and then the tank has to leave almost right away?
Old 10-09-2023, 12:35 PM
Sarnak

If you're gonna main a melee as your first class, go monk. You will be able to actually farm stuff with moderate gear on it way better and flop to any camp same as a rogue would sneak.

Rogues are only good for raiding and dungeon recovery. But a monk can dps, tank, farm, PL, pull and survive nearly any encounter.

So much cheap monk and rogue stuff now on blue that either should be twinked pretty nice by the time you're lvl 20-30 and saved up some plat anyway, but I still vote monk, and that's coming from a main Rogue. I even got to level up my rogue with his epic at lvl 1 back before they enrfed it to 46, and it was still just a glass cannon toon.
Old 10-16-2023, 11:40 PM
Fire Giant

I personally think Rogue is the perfect main class if you’re gonna go melee. Their epic is super easy, literally any guild could finish it. Their DPS is incredibly good, even with tunnel gear. You can max strength, have your epic, and something like a winters fury in offhand for like 15k, and be a welcome addition to any group or raid. It’s not a class that will be farming a lot of plat, but it’s also a class that doesn’t NEED to farm a lot. Rogue is only a bad main if your primary objective is to level up and fund alts.

If you’re planning to make one character with the objective that that character will serve as your main, primary, maybe even solitary character, there’s no better melee class to main in my opinion. You’ll also be welcome to basically any raiding guild, If that’s what you wanted; even with that 15k gear setup.

If green 2.0 ever drops, I fully intend to make a rogue and play it pretty much exclusively and as my only toon. I’ve done the alt thing way too many times, and the class is a perfect main imo
Old 10-17-2023, 03:44 PM
Orc

If you're ok with being useless solo, sure.
Old 10-18-2023, 04:41 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86zskidoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you're ok with being useless solo, sure.
People looking at a Rogue that are concerned about not finding groups or having to solo, Everquest is a game where you can ALWAYS make progress if you hate yourself, or are bored enough, and want to kill something once every 6-minutes or so...

I leveled my Rogue entirely solo from 1-51 with relatively bad gear while working-from-home and "dad camping" spawns. It was chill and perfectly doable/safe, plus I had "fun" stabbing stuff to pass the time.

Did 1-35 in Banded Armor, Orc fang earrings, SCHW, 2x 65hp rings, Sarnak Backstabber + Guard Captain's Mallet, and some bandages.
  • Everfrost & Blackburrow. I killed critters and gnolls.
  • West Karana. At the bottom of the hill with the bandit camp on top, you can get 2 singles.
  • Oasis. Crocodiles are non-social.
  • South Karana. Single birds at KFC. Centaurs in their stalls (kill greens). Gnolls at Spires.

Upgraded some gear such as adding haze panther gear and barbed dragonscale boots and shoulders. No epic, fungi, or better weapons though.
  • West Karana. Kill either of the Cyclops Froon and Choon. Can pull a single despite them seeming close.
  • Dreadlands Yetis or Firiona Vie Dogs (low-mid 40s was the hardest I encountered, but I didn't really seek out a better spot. I'm sure there is somewhere good though).
  • Feerrott. Bouncer Hurd.

Look, I'm sure 51-60 is awful unless you have good gear, but 1-51 was not too terrible as a solo Rogue.
  • It is trivial to land backstabs while solo as long as you have SoW potions.
  • If you're AFK-camping a spawn, you can open every fight from hide with backstab and go into an intimidate (doesn't always land on first try or at all, lol).
  • I never messed with poisons.
  • I'd eat a few deaths if I got some bad RNG and they clobbered me, but I didn't have too many issues or deaths I can recall.