Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 07-13-2023, 07:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjchanter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would recommend not making a rogue because it's a useless class that isn't useful at 60
They are a great raiding class, and a great group class. They have high consistent DPS without worrying about resists or pet mechanics.

But they are quite specialized, which means they are not for everybody.
Old 07-13-2023, 08:52 PM
Planar Protector

They can't solo and they can't farm plat outside of selling raid droppables
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 07-14-2023, 08:51 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Selling FS while your leveling if its convenient sure.. but leaving an area aka any dungeons or groups to sell just impedes your progress. Which if you're in an area that can easily sell to merchants, you don't need that extra str to sell a whopping 2 FS weapons for 11pp more every trip. Its entirely inconsequential.

East freeport or Kelethin Guard camps?
How many rogues you see over there soloing or in groups?

I've played this game since the day it was released in live, wanna know the number of rogues I've seen doing those camps? The number is less than 1.

Dead men do no damage is what it comes down to.
Old 07-14-2023, 10:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldwooky [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Selling FS while your leveling if its convenient sure.. but leaving an area aka any dungeons or groups to sell just impedes your progress. Which if you're in an area that can easily sell to merchants, you don't need that extra str to sell a whopping 2 FS weapons for 11pp more every trip. Its entirely inconsequential.

I've played this game since the day it was released in live, wanna know the number of rogues I've seen doing those camps? The number is less than 1.

I wasn't specifically saying Rogues do those camps. You said it was never a good idea to sell FS weapons. Obviously you agree there are situations where that isn't the case, which was my point. OP has 20k, so with some weight reduction bags and STR items he will be able to hold quite a few FS weapons if they were in a camp that dropped them. Just hold on to them and sell after the session is done.
Old 07-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Difference a few bags of FS makes is arguable, but it comes down to a very small amount of difference Str makes for selling things as even a criteria to care, thus proving more that Stam is the way to go for probably 75% of all characters.

Even a Str based dps class still finds more value in going Stam at the start if you have the intention of making the "best" toon. Str is super easy and cheap to cap as you pointed out.
Old 07-14-2023, 10:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldwooky [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Ever been to HK? Rogues solo there…and vendor there…and bank there.
Old 07-14-2023, 10:51 AM
Sarnak

Str will be by far the most noticeable during the leveling process. You generally won't be tanking or tanking AOEs while leveling unless you're very twinked and soloing. Str does something for you by increasing damage output and carrying capacity. Charisma does a little bit by increasing sell price but is way lower impact, wis or int would marginally improve trade skills other than smithing, dex will improve poison making and fletching skillups, AGI has a tiny AC boost which again, you don't generally use much since you probably don't tank. These are all really low impact by comparison to STR.

Sta will be the best for most characters at 60 who intend to raid at all. You need very strong gear to cap sta without tradeoffs at 60, but everyone who has access to a 60 shaman for buffs will cap STR easily. The extra HP helps with fights with high damage AOEs.

I would go Cha and carry emeralds for Divine Intervention if you're looking at top end BIS stuff, as you cap all physical stats and a 7% increased chance of extending your HP pool by 5k does something where more stats you're already capped on doesn't. This is definitely not the typical opinion, though.

I did a semi-RP split on Jayya with Str/Sta/Cha and don't regret it; I always felt like Rogues should be charismatic with the whole charming rogue archetype. The Str is wasted now, but the Cha and Sta are still doing things. Jayya's heading towards having the gear quality so that only the Cha does stuff, but isn't there yet and probably won't be for a while.
Old 07-14-2023, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEH84 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
3) Lastly, I want to be a gnome. It may not be min max or even good, but I want to be a gnome. That being said, all points into STR or STA? Or split?
No shame in splitting, especially if you're unsure how far you're going to take this char.

If you know 100% you're never going to raid and probably won't dump tons of platinum into gear, just go STR. You'll never notice the lack of STA. You will, however, notice the STR as you level. Bigly.

Even if you go STR and wind up taking the char to the very end game, having less STA is never actually going to make a difference in your guild / group killing a target. Ever. These spergs just jerk themselves off to min/max fantasies but in reality velious was beat in kunark gear. It doesn't matter at all.
Last edited by Toxigen; 07-14-2023 at 11:45 AM..
Old 07-14-2023, 12:41 PM
Planar Protector

Didn't read all this but str is the best leveling stat for melee and the primary stat for rogues other then maybe magic resist. Don't get suckered by a bunch of try hards trying to min/max with plans that'll take you longer to attain then getting 60 will.
Old 07-14-2023, 12:45 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No shame in splitting, especially if you're unsure how far you're going to take this char.

If you know 100% you're never going to raid and probably won't dump tons of platinum into gear, just go STR. You'll never notice the lack of STA. You will, however, notice the STR as you level. Bigly.

Even if you go STR and wind up taking the char to the very end game, having less STA is never actually going to make a difference in your guild / group killing a target. Ever. These spergs just jerk themselves off to min/max fantasies but in reality velious was beat in kunark gear. It doesn't matter at all.
In all fairness there was way more people and way more clerics than are in raids now.
I wouldn't say never. If you have to disengage due to an AoE 30 seconds earlier, thats alot of lost dps, a rogue not doing dps is more worthless than an SK. Its not always about dieing, because chances are youre dead after you nimble most likely anyways.

If you aren't looking to be the best or raid extensively, then it doesn't matter, but stam is by far the hardest and most expensive to max.