Dwarf = rogue
Dark elf = wizard
Erudite = enchanter
Gnome = magician
Halfling = druid (and cleric)
Half elf = bard
High elf = paladin
Iksar = monk and necromancer
Human = None, humans are teribad (but if I have to, cleric)
Ogre = shadow knight
Troll = ogre
Wood elf = ranger

The above is literally my alt list, and I even have a spreadsheet in Google Sheets where I plotted out various permutations of the above (I might need professional help).

If I were doing it all over though I'd probably change most of that up though.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 09-20-2018 at 01:49 PM..
Old 09-20-2018, 02:53 PM
Planar Protector

Combos of race/class I personally like/find in tune:

Barbarian = shaman / warrior
Dwarf = cleric / warrior
Dark elf = wizard / rogue
Erudite = wizard / paladin
Gnome = magician / necromancer
Halfling = druid / rogue
Half elf = bard / ranger
High elf = paladin / enchanter
Iksar = monk / necromancer
Human = rogue / cleric / monk
Ogre = shadow knight / shaman / warrior
Troll = shaman / warrior
Wood elf = ranger / druid
Old 09-20-2018, 11:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here's my list

Barbarian = Shaman
Dwarf = Cleric
Dark Elf = Necromancer
Erudite = Wizard
Gnome = Magician
Halfling = Rogue
Half-Elf = Bard
High Elf = Enchanter
Iksar = Monk
Human = Paladin/Ranger
Ogre = Warrior
Troll = Shadow Knight
Wood Elf = Druid
I did a thread like this many years ago and this is exactly how I feel as well. Dwarf Cleric is the one that ends up feeling most incorrect, that race is definitely more melee based, but Human ultimately feels like a better choice for Paladin (I don't first think of short people when that class comes to mind in a traditional RPG sense), so Dwarves are basically just left with Cleric in this fun little theoretical.

HOWEVER, if you add in "Berserker" as a class choice, then you can give that to Ogres and give Warrior to Dwarves, which makes everything feel great. Oh, and then also shove Clerics into the Human category. That vanilla class deserves such a vanilla race.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:40 PM
Sarnak

Human monk
Iksar necro
Dark Elf rogue
Troll Shaman
That's it.
I've played all the classes and races and these do it for me.
OH, and if I had to make an enchanter it would be a high elf, cuz I could change his looks and not have to see that smug prig.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I did a thread like this many years ago and this is exactly how I feel as well. Dwarf Cleric is the one that ends up feeling most incorrect, that race is definitely more melee based, but Human ultimately feels like a better choice for Paladin (I don't first think of short people when that class comes to mind in a traditional RPG sense), so Dwarves are basically just left with Cleric in this fun little theoretical.

HOWEVER, if you add in "Berserker" as a class choice, then you can give that to Ogres and give Warrior to Dwarves, which makes everything feel great. Oh, and then also shove Clerics into the Human category. That vanilla class deserves such a vanilla race.
i agree with you on dwarf cleric. i was trying to limit myself to one class per race with no duplicates. ive always wanted to level a dwarf paladin.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ive always wanted to level a dwarf paladin.
There's definitely not enough, and to barrel roll with a flaming sword is a special thing.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:15 PM
Fire Giant

Warrior assling
Rogue assling
Ranger ----
Monk ----

Bard ----
Shadow Knight ----
Paladin ----

Cleric assling
Druid assling
Shaman -- N/A

Magician gnome
Enchanter gnome
Necromancer gnome
Wizard gnome
Old 09-21-2018, 12:36 PM
Planar Protector

Barbarian = Warrior
Dwarf = Warrior
Dark elf = Cleric
Erudite = Cleric
Gnome = Cleric
Halfling = Cleric
Half elf = Bard
High elf = Cleric
Iksar = Monk/Necro
Human = Cleric
Ogre = Warrior
Troll = Warrior
Wood elf = Warrior
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:41 PM
Planar Protector

If it can't be a dark elf, it's not worth playing.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:46 PM
Planar Protector

In the other direction, what I would personally pick from Min/Max perspective for each class. In some cases race doesn't really matter though and it's just personal preference:

Bard = Half-Elf (weird how this race has the highest Dexterity, but okay!)

Cleric = Halfling (I've never understood why this isn't an ultra common choice for the class; sneak and hide is so good for Cleric, the stats are good, and even an exp bonus)

Druid = Wood Elf if I know Velious will be on the server, because they get a couple clickies there, otherwise Halfling.

Enchanter = High Elf for PvE server because max Charisma, Dark Elf for PvP server because Hide can randomly be useful and actually that 5 extra STR can be relevant for encumberment.

Magician = Gnome (tiny people summoning big pets is by far the coolest, but actually the small size can be a real benefit for PvP) or Dark Elf (having Hide as a skill is more useful for other classes, but it's still something that might randomly be useful)

Monk = Iksar (duh)

Necromancer = Iksar (Dark Elves look the coolest but sadly that's not enough under this consideration criteria; I wish Dark Elf Necromancers got some kind of special item that mattered)

Paladin = Dwarf (easily the best stats available)

Ranger = Wood Elf or Half-Elf, the latter is very slightly better for pure DPS stats, but -20 Wisdom can matter, so there's an argument either way. You could also say Human has perfectly competitive stats with those races too, but I think the lack of Infravision takes them down a notch for classic Everquest.

Rogue = Barbarian is highest STR which is stupidly the most important stat for the class and they also get Slam, so they are clearly the best for straightforward combat. However, there is again that consideration of lacking Infravision. Dwarves have the best stats for an Infravision race and for PvP small size can matter too, to the point that Halfling or even Gnome for the tiniest size possible can be a serious argument here.

Shaman = Ogre, or Troll, or Iksar. Frontal stun immunity can be a big deal, but the races with health regen have an obvious advantage as well. I suppose you could possibly say Barbarian has the consideration of lowest exp penalty and can use JBB while being smaller size in comparison to Ogre/Troll, but realistically they are just the weakest choice (which makes me sad, that was my first character ever!)

Shadow Knight = Troll or Ogre, with Iksar a considerion for Velious era. Again it's just what you value more between frontal stun immunity or regen, and then Iksar get a consideration for Velious era because of being able to eventually get the highest AC there.

Warrior = Ogre or Halfling, the former is best purely for combat, but sneak and hide on this class (plus the exp bonus if you care about saving time leveling) is a real consideration, as is the small size for PvP. Iksar for Velious era is a consideration too, since they eventually get the highest AC and regen is always nice.

Wizard = I think Dark Elf is best because Nektulos gate staff saves you mana for doing vendor stuff and Hide can be handy, although Erudite having slightly higher INT is an argument (that lack of Infravision tho...), and for PvP server Gnome is very much a consideration because of tiniest size.

So overall giving each race 1 point where they are my sole top pick for a class, .5 points for being listed as a strong choice, and .25 points for Iksar mentions within Velious-specific era, here is how each race is rated:

3.0 points = Iksar
2.5 points = Halfling
1.5 points = Ogre, Gnome, Dark Elf, Dwarf, Half-Elf
1 point = Troll, Wood Elf
.5 points = Barbarian, High Elf, Erudite
0 points = Human

The classes aren't balanced and race choice matters more for some classes than others, so this isn't a strictly accurate take on the power level of each race, but still pretty fun to think about!