Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-19-2016, 08:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've uploaded an updated version of the transparency patcher, which includes the goblin crown in permafrost fix and barbarian horns fix. Feel free to rehost: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ncypatcher.rar
New link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ncypatcher.rar
Old 01-03-2017, 08:47 AM
Planar Protector

Fixed a couple things with the transparency patcher:
  • Wrote a process that deletes your current .old backups when you run patch_s3d_textures.bat - this was causing reversion issues in the case that you ran the batch multiple times. Basically, if you ran patch_s3d_textures.bat while .old backup files already existed, it would revert to and then apply the transpfix.exe changes to those instead of applying the changes to your current S3Ds. So now you can run it consecutively without losing your current S3Ds.
  • The Druushk/Cekenar/Lady Nevedaria wing changes to veeshan_chr.s3d were failing due to some undeclared files in patch_s3d_textures.bat - that's also been fixed.

New link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ncypatcher.zip
Old 01-03-2017, 12:12 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wrote a process that deletes your current .old backups when you run patch_s3d_textures.bat ... Basically, if you ran patch_s3d_textures.bat while .old backup files already existed, it would revert to and then apply the transpfix.exe changes to those instead of applying the changes to your current S3Ds.
This is how it's supposed to work. If you run the .bat file multiple times it first reverts all of the previous changes so that it doesn't patch the same texture twice. The tool doesn't know and can't know whether a texture has been patched previously and performing this operation on a texture more than once will have unexpected results.

Imagine I have a file with the following numbers:

Code:
Now lets say that the texture patcher swaps the first '1' encountered to '2' and you get this:

Code:
If you run the patcher on the same file without replacing it with the original then all of the number '1' get set to '2' instead of just the first one:

Code:
To clarify: the patcher will definitely and absolutely do weird things to textures if you run it multiple times without reverting to the original first. That's what the .old is for.
Last edited by Ropethunder; 01-03-2017 at 12:15 PM..
Old 01-03-2017, 12:36 PM
Planar Protector

That would certainly explain some of the texture oddities we've been experiencing - I removed the command to purge the .olds and reuploaded. Same link. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 01-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropethunder [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To clarify: the patcher will definitely and absolutely do weird things to textures if you run it multiple times without reverting to the original first.
Although, now you've got me wondering - what kind of effect would it have? Would it only mess with a texture's transparency, or could it potentially do other things as well?
Old 01-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Large Rat

Amazing! thanks for the continued updating of textures.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropethunder [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The tool doesn't know and can't know whether a texture has been patched previously and performing this operation on a texture more than once will have unexpected results.
Logically this makes perfect sense, but it appears to be recognizing when something has already been patched and then skips the patching process for those S3Ds:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The left window is the output from running patch_s3d_textures.bat after reverting to stock S3Ds - it sees that stuff hasn't been patched, and lists each file it's writing to. The right window is output from running it a second time after I deleted all of my .old backups.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:27 PM
Developer

Quote:
Although, now you've got me wondering - what kind of effect would it have? Would it only mess with a texture's transparency, or could it potentially do other things as well?
Nothing good. The result will depend entirely on which options are chosen when the tool is run.

See here for some details on the implementation:
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?p=259375
Old 01-03-2017, 05:27 PM
Planar Protector

Am I wrong in thinking it's not patching anything when I run the batch file for a second time, after deleting my .old backups? I'm confused as to why it isn't listing the files like it does when initially run against S3Ds that haven't been patched before. On the second pass, it checks for .old files and doesn't find any, then proceeds to patch, but it appears as if it doesn't actually write to anything - which would be a good thing. Am I misunderstanding this?

Quote:
If you run the .bat file multiple times it first reverts all of the previous changes so that it doesn't patch the same texture twice.
By this you mean it just checks for .old backups and then reverts to those if they exist, correct?
Old 01-04-2017, 10:29 AM
Planar Protector

Further proof:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

After installing new textures to global4_chr.s3d, it recognized and selectively patched only those textures, while skipping through the rest of the S3Ds. So basically, no matter how many times you run patch_s3d_textures.bat, it will never patch and then repatch the same texture twice.

In light of this I've gone ahead and replaced the .old purge in the batch file.