Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 04:24 PM
Banned

I always lol when people act like players didn’t know to max charisma for enchanters and this is some kind of revelation that happened recently

Most of the people I grouped with has significantly better gear than players on P99

I recently inspected a rogue on P99 blue and gasped at his armor. People who main rogues there are rare, and seeing one with good gear is rare... and the I realized that even though his gear was dreamy by p99 standards that it was absolutely Garbo compared to my rogues gear 20 years ago.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:32 PM
Banned

I feel like p99 is contractually obligated to implement as much charm nerf code as possible and that they can invent to retain permissions to be a classic server.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:55 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What do you think the current iteration of charm on p1999 is built from?
Torven posted in one of the bug threads that his logs from charming with his druid on Al'Kabor (the Mac server that was essentially Nov 2002 mechanics, about a year out of era for us) showed ~55 tick average duration on easy charms, and that he confirmed roughly the same on a later era live server. I parsed a couple of my xp sessions on p99 green at closer to ~65 ticks, although I'm not sure if my sample was really large enough to say our charms stick better than Torven's logs.

So my serious answer to your question is that whatever the current iteration of charm was built from was fairly close to (live, not TAKP) Al'Kabor which matched later era live.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:20 PM
Planar Protector

That's pretty robust (like most P99 details)

There maybe some random break murder your-ass component that is missing from our charm that is resulting in the 65 tick average and general user friendliness of charms here.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewallx39 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most people were likely:
Not maxing charisma (OP said they were but he wasn’t an enchanter)
Charming too high of levels mobs
Were not focusing or -mr spells and gear
We have 10+ pages of people saying "it's the -MR and Cha gear" ... and yet when it comes to Druids it's crickets.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:25 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, in the early days snared/DoTed mobs didn't lose 33.3% of their DoT's damage, so snaring + DoTing was the best way to level as a Druid ... because the rules worked differently.

But that stopped in '99 https://wiki.project1999.com/Patch_N...ber_13.2C_1999 (and, seeing as how it was in the patch notes, pretty much every Druid knew about the change instantly). From that point on root/rot became the de facto Druid soloing technique, with quadding and charming being risky but potentially more lucrative approaches.

But again ... if it was as easy to charm on live as it was here, basic logic dictates a hell of a lot more Druids would have charmed ... instead of it what everyone remembers it being on live: a relatively niche, high risk technique.
High risk in 1999 meant "oh god if I go any deeper and attempt to break this room, I might *never* get this corpse back. I certainly don't know any clerics that can rez me even if I could find it..."

There is no high risk now. Pull the entire bar in Unrest and if we die, there are 18 clerics camped out on backup accounts ready to log in and fix us up. Free buffs too
Old 05-12-2021, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beargryllz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
High risk in 1999 meant "oh god if I go any deeper and attempt to break this room, I might *never* get this corpse back. I certainly don't know any clerics that can rez me even if I could find it..."

There is no high risk now. Pull the entire bar in Unrest and if we die, there are 18 clerics camped out on backup accounts ready to log in and fix us up. Free buffs too
Ugh.

Face palm tears uncontrollable sobbing . Jpg
Old 05-12-2021, 05:57 PM
Sarnak

I remember when chanters could cast illusions on group members. Anyone else remember those glory days? When was that removed?

Elendil's Giveaway
Old 05-12-2021, 06:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We have 10+ pages of people saying "it's the -MR and Cha gear" ... and yet when it comes to Druids it's crickets.
it takes playrs here 10+ years to learn how to charm half as effiicenty as tecmos

puh-lease

nobody knew how to do it in 99 if they did they didnt teach anyone.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:10 PM
Banned

jibartik is getting dangerously close to snortles level of dissent...

watch it
Closed Thread