Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 09:17 PM
Kobold

Default what are your DND builds?

ATM I am working on a rogue / fighter multi class in 5th edition and heavily debating if I want to go 9 rogue (arcane trickster) 11 fighter (champion) on a character revolving around ranged attacks with sharpshooter and the archery fighting style. Or if I want to go 7 rogue and 13 fighter or 8 rogue and 12 fighter. All three variants of that potential level 20 gives me 2 bonus attacks per round but each of them has other potentially very useful differences.

9 rog / 11 fighter gives me 5d6 sneak attack damage per attack when an enemy is within 5 feet of an ally / I have advantage. (over the course of 3 attacks per turn with a flat +10 on sharpshooter thats potentially 120 damage per turn PLUS the normal damage roll at max. Not even counting that with champion you score criticals on 19s and 20s instead of just 20s)

8 rog / 12 fighter gives me an extra 2 ability boosts which could be useful for bringing up saving throws on points I'm weak in with 4d6 sneak attack damage.

7 rog / 13 fighter would give me 2 uses of indomitable instead of 1 per long rest which would let me reroll more failed saving throws while keeping 4d6 sneak attack damage.

Im leaning pretty heavily toward 9 rog / 11 fighter, thoughts?
Ielwenu - 56 magician
Deeloofie - 49 monk
Old 04-26-2021, 09:48 PM
Banned

Kensai or whatever lets me gib a creature with big melee hits/crits.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:14 PM
Sarnak

Rogue/Fighter works at so many levels and combinations. It's really unique as a multiclass in that way

More important than the finished lvl 20 build is the journey along the way

Rush to 3d6 sneak and Uncanny dodge with 5 levels of rogue? Or rush to 2 attack rolls (2 chances to get a sneak attack off) and a 2nd ASI/feat with 6 levels of fighter? Or go slow and secure Action Surge and Cunning Action before your big lvl 5 class features. I lean towards getting 5 levels rogue or 6 levels fighter and then switching over

Your bonus action should go to Cunning Action usually. Anytime you get one incredibly powerful bonus action outlet, it's probably best to just roll with it. Getting crossbow expert or some other bonus action trick is probably not the best idea here. Having Tasha's Rogue feature, Steady Aim is also a game changer since now all of a sudden you don't have to play hide and seek or rely on flanking house rules to guarantee those sneak attacks

Fighting style? Bows and archery is great. My lvl 10 Arcane Trickster single-class rogue just picked up archery style for his level 10 feat (Feat from Tasha's) just to really guarantee those hits and sneak attacks

Starting fighter is *probably* better just for the option of using heavy armor (can maybe find mithril versions for being sneaky...) and getting CON save proficiency, which is probably better than DEX save proficiency

Also I can't state strongly enough how good a Battle Master is. The versatility with combat manuevers is just amazing. Turn misses into hits, turn hits into big hits. Grant disadvantage, trip enemies, or even take free movement. Battle Master is a beastly subclass and flavorful as well. Champion is unfortunately quite a weak subclass except with certain critical-hit centric builds. So stacking critical hit riders, being a half-orc, etc. will open good synergy. But most builds just don't get much out of the Champion. Psi Warrior is another nice subclass since it is also INT based like Arcane Trickster. It will give you competition for your Uncanny Dodge reaction, but you know what, sometimes you aren't getting hit and your allies are and you can block that damage also, which is fine

Two final details about Arcane Trickster.

1) Always get Find Familiar. It lets you use the help action *every round* as long as it lives.

2) Always get at least one cantrip melee spell like Booming Blade. So lets say you only have one attack roll. Why not make it a Booming Blade? It gives you at least 1d8 free damage on a hit (+2d8 if they move) starting at level 5. It scales up again to +2d8 (+3d8 more if they move) at level 11. Just a lot of extra damage for zero downside
Last edited by beargryllz; 04-26-2021 at 10:41 PM..
Old 04-26-2021, 10:22 PM
Planar Protector

I have a sword.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:07 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kensai or whatever lets me gib a creature with big melee hits/crits.
Nerfed hard in 5e compared to 3.5e, what with the maxed out power attacks and deity-tier STR as a move action buff
Old 04-26-2021, 11:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beargryllz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nerfed hard in 5e compared to 3.5e, what with the maxed out power attacks and deity-tier STR as a move action buff
Bummer.

My second favorite 3e was like an int based swashbuckler. Really was always a useless build tho aside from the clever and creative use of the extra skill points I could get. Probably wouldn't translate to 5e well.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:42 PM
Banned

I'm a level 3 druid trying to tackle the political intrigue of snakes wanting equal rights in Tezir.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:03 AM
Banned

sword and shield, mirrored shield. had crazy ac
Old 04-27-2021, 01:15 AM
Banned

im a black guy
Old 04-27-2021, 01:41 AM
Planar Protector

My last character was a little dark elf who hated Lolth because he thought she was a creation of female elves who wanted to seize control of the fate of their race, so he invented a god called the Mantick that I went around forgotten realms spreading the good word about and the male dark elf's forgotten destiny.
Closed Thread