Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 05:15 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The spots I suggested above are all doable without high end gear they are just slower. I did the Neriak Guards with a Reaver and you should be able to do them with any decent 2 hander. There will be a bit more downtime with the helm healing versus a BP but it should still be doable. If they are too hard at 50 you can come back at 52 and they should be no problem. Good luck!
Ok cool I will definitely check out Neriak next. Thanks for the good info. Also, any idea what a good price would be for a BP right now?
Old 06-08-2021, 10:32 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvoe1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok cool I will definitely check out Neriak next. Thanks for the good info. Also, any idea what a good price would be for a BP right now?
Dar hall in Lguk is good exp til 54 where it slows down big time. If you get an add, root them up and log. Only use DW helm to heal and save all mana for roots, dispells and stuns when you miss a bash and a kor is about to drop a bomb. Outside of that you can legit go none stop for hours.

Each mob dropped me 15-35% and it takes no money and maybe 1 minute to heal up if I got beat up bad. This was years ago on p99 and people say exp in Lguk has changed since.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:25 PM
Aviak

I have soloed all the way to 56 with my paladin. Did most of it in the old world but I did hit up FV and did some turn ins with the fang quest there. The 3 guards in Nro will take you to 55. Dont worry about faction cause your going to tank it anyway when you get your soulfire. I then leveled to 56 on Slate in EC (because im a mad man) Took me a month but with a 24 min respawn timer I had time between to mess around on my other toons.
DW BP is over rated. It cost you PP each cast. The helm is cheap and cost nothing other then having to keep a low lvl hp buff up. The leggings buff it nice but not really needed as you can root and helm spawn heal yourself. You'll never kill fast. So save your plat for something like a Narandi Lance at 55 or divine might spell. Or work some SS faction and buy armor MQ's. That would be plat better spent IMO.
As for weapons 2hander all the way. You have 3 stuns you can load up if you need to stun casters. I hear their 2 brownie guards in lfay that can be split easy and stay blue till 60. 16min respawn so plenty of time to med between. will be boring as hell but
Old 06-09-2021, 01:35 AM
Planar Protector

I too soloed to 60. Not for speed or points but simply because my schedule isn’t ideal for grouping. Great advice in this thread. Here are some more random opinions.

Shields:
I like having a shield when tanking and really enjoyed the Sword of the Morning to like 57. For solo I’m almost always 2h even with casters using stun or epic bash to shut them down. For non casters you can root joust and/or heal with your helm almost forever. While shield AC might reduce mob dps (a bit) killing half the speed will certainly result in taking about twice the damage.

2h vs 1h:
With the last 2h patch they got a lot better; before that speed was king and 1h’s were on par despite the ratios not being quite as good. If now the damage bonus is truly “fair” the best dps 1h’s are worse ratios than the 2h’s but add procs. That means even a Sledge of Smashing (1.08) or Frostwrath (1.09) has to land a few procs to outrun a Lance of Thunder (1.13) with similar luck on the white damage dice dolls. They have to land a TON of procs to outrun a Tunare sword. Great for blue cons but a 0 check cold magic spell isnt very reliable over flat ratio on raid level stuff. I’d still pick one of them up if you could, I will eventually. Throw in a good shield it’s the tank preference for many.

Lulling:
It kind of depends for lull. How far they are spaced and if you have to crawl past one. For sake of ease if just a one-off I’ll often use the DW arms; no spell to mem or sit aggro. If pulling in a group I usually use Calm. A tight pack or if I’m tryin to sneak by I’ll go with Pacify (it lasts like 7 mins now). I’d get a Kobold Jester Crown, two Overseer Signets, and a Crude Stein minimum...that’s 61 CHA and once you are in the mid 100’s it’s reasonably safe.

DW Clickes:
Most the DW Armor is great. The helm is ok but later potg blocks it. The bp heals 2.5 times quicker and most casters or dps don’t have a symbol...for 6 gold combined with divine strength it’s 507 hps. Either me will get you to 60 with ease.

The bracer I feel is overrated and the gloves underrated. As a free pull I’d rather kill a DS or a buff and for stun locking I just don’t see the 6 second bracer cast making much sense. Especially just for solo work, that will never pay off.

DW legs are solid stats and the str isn’t bad. It’s not really worth keeping just for the buff unless you like the full set or have an excess of plat. The boots I never picked up since I usually keep MR and Divine Strength memmed at all times.

Other clickies/procs:
* gob skull earring gets cleared by Yaulp4 but solid GCD item, junk buff, and attack power until then.
* Ring 8 and ragefire arms (17 ds)
* crown of hatred (UV click)
* Sham DS pots won’t stack with coldain ring but can bump your dps huge
* Luminary two handed sword: Cha proc buff for lulling
* OT mallet
* Soulfire for CH
* Leatherfoot hat, lizard blood potions, golem wand, roiling gas pot, larrikan’s mask, ring of shadows, Midnight Mallet, etc.

Reckless Str and Yaulp:
The early levels Yaulp mostly just eats mana. It’s something to do though and won’t cost you dps; I’d skip if trying to save mana and it’s going to be a close fight. Reckless isn’t much better but it can last a fight. Yaulp4 is amazing and free to cast. It’s always memmed on my bar.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:39 AM
Planar Protector

well helm you can use to heal yourself between fights tho? I always assumed that was indispensable?
Old 06-09-2021, 02:48 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
well helm you can use to heal yourself between fights tho? I always assumed that was indispensable?
It is, but what the dude was getting at with POTG preventing the Hp buff to land and not healing you. However when I think of solo and when I solo I don't get looking for buffs at all. I relay on my own spells to get the job done.

The times when I do have POGT on and need to heal up I just use my small regen spell and normal heals. The mana regen from pogt negates the mana drain from Divine Purpose so it only slightly increases my down time.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:43 AM
Planar Protector

Killer advice guys all around. Tons and tons of great and useful information. I feel like I can solo so much more efficiently knowing all of this, so TY to everyone who contributed! Looking forward to the journey =)

Oh, and if anyone has a deepwater BP collecting dust, hit me up! I'll pay a more than fair price to any of the contributors to this thread
Old 06-09-2021, 09:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeper41 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DW BP is over rated. It cost you PP each cast. The helm is cheap and cost nothing other then having to keep a low lvl hp buff up
If time isn't a factor, maybe, but both versions cost time and root only lasts so long. Paladins can solo VhalSera in ToFS with BP, highly unlikely with helm being used instead. Also, BP keeps up with shamans health bar as they canni down, helm does not, which can matter on raids, albeit rarely. Jaspers are only 7gp each; once you're of level to click BP, mobs should be dropping enough coin, gems, and/or fine steel to offset the cost. Helm is great as a starter and as a back up though, in case reagents run out.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:27 AM
Planar Protector

Though this thread is strictly about soloing and the helm is perfectly fine for that. Paladin 1v1 fights are slow going either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DW Clickes:
The bracer I feel is overrated and the gloves underrated. As a free pull I’d rather kill a DS or a buff and for stun locking I just don’t see the 6 second bracer cast making much sense. Especially just for solo work, that will never pay off.
Agreed. If you happen to loot one or find it on a vendor, maybe keep bagged in case of emergencies but even 1h weapons with a stun proc are more practical when coupled with bash for actually interrupting casters, more so than the 6 second bracer click. It might not even be worth the bag space, especially when hoarding stacks and stacks of jasper.

A very casual spot to solo mid 50s+ would be around the moat in KC. Lull and dispel ignore line of sight issues with water and DW gauntlets drop semi-regularly from casters there. Just pull to either of the outside corners; nothing should add from the water if you and the mob are close enough to the wall.

Blazing Bracer of Fennin Ro is another wrist slot option for single pulling lulleds if no casters are in with them, casting buffs that would make a DW gauntlets click better. Blazing Armor also has a fair amount of charisma tacked on as well.
Last edited by Ennewi; 06-09-2021 at 10:50 AM..
Old 06-09-2021, 11:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeper41 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is, but what the dude was getting at with POTG preventing the Hp buff to land and not healing you. However when I think of solo and when I solo I don't get looking for buffs at all. I relay on my own spells to get the job done.

The times when I do have POGT on and need to heal up I just use my small regen spell and normal heals. The mana regen from pogt negates the mana drain from Divine Purpose so it only slightly increases my down time.
Quote:

Exactly. It’s not a dealbreaker and more of a once you hit 60 or if raiding note. The DW helm is a clutch item it’s just more likely to be rendered ineffective or you have cleric or Druid buffs.

Either is an amazing leveling tool but depending on what you are killing at 59 solo you might just be healing through fights and sitting for another 6mins for repop. I may have had one or two POTG’s on my path to 60. Mainly I was a recluse in old world zones.
Closed Thread