Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 09-21-2021, 12:06 PM
Planar Protector

I think there is a way to justify any race you pick for a sk, or any class. In the end they all can do the same thing: FD split, hold aggro, take hits.

Personally if min-maxing I think the Iksar is a bit better than the others. Stone of Morid is huge for hitting those arbitrary sv cold/fr requirements if you have them. The Greenmist is 25MR. Innate AC, Regen, etc. The Blood Ember gaunts always took an eternity to cast. I couldnt wrap my mind around how annoying the greaves would be for that same reason and death peace is so great I'd prob just load two FD's if needing that degree of safety.

Without really good gear a medium race set up to tank is going to be constantly near encumbered. That is the main perk for a casual troll/ogre in my humble opinion. Being huge is fun but you can occasionally get stuck or have ducking issues.

I've said it way too much: Create the race that makes you happy. Fashion while not universally agreed upon is the one thing you cannot change. At least changing if you are 10 feet tall or 6 feet tall.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think there is a way to justify any race you pick for a sk, or any class. In the end they all can do the same thing: FD split, hold aggro, take hits.

Personally if min-maxing I think the Iksar is a bit better than the others. Stone of Morid is huge for hitting those arbitrary sv cold/fr requirements if you have them. The Greenmist is 25MR. Innate AC, Regen, etc. The Blood Ember gaunts always took an eternity to cast. I couldnt wrap my mind around how annoying the greaves would be for that same reason and death peace is so great I'd prob just load two FD's if needing that degree of safety.

Without really good gear a medium race set up to tank is going to be constantly near encumbered. That is the main perk for a casual troll/ogre in my humble opinion. Being huge is fun but you can occasionally get stuck or have ducking issues.

I've said it way too much: Create the race that makes you happy. Fashion while not universally agreed upon is the one thing you cannot change. At least changing if you are 10 feet tall or 6 feet tall.
Blood Ember Greaves are a pretty quick cast time. They are great when you want to save mana (FD or Deaths Peace is 60-120 mana per cast), and invaluable when you are low on mana. If you FD, fail, and run out of mana you are dead. Also, before you get Deaths Peace, Blood Ember Greaves are the only way to FD while your spell in on cooldown. You can also just remove FD from your bar completely with Blood Ember Greaves for another spell.

Blood Ember Greaves have saved me quite a few times, as well as keep my mana bar happier.

Blood Ember Gauntlets are also worth it due to how much mana it saves. The Cast time really isn't that bad.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:00 PM
Fire Giant

Start with deleting and making a Dark Elf
Old 09-21-2021, 02:44 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Start with deleting and making a Dark Elf
/nod
Old 10-04-2021, 09:52 AM
Large Rat

Nothing wrong with an Iksar SK.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:04 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Hi, another newbie SK here. I haven't played since the release of Luclin and this is my first character on p99 (green).

I'm a 17 TSK currently swinging a Fine Steel 2H Sword and only have 250pp to spend. I obviously can't afford anything fancy but need to upgrade to something serviceable.

Is there anything I should be looking for EC auction chat?

Thank you.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:13 PM
Sarnak

Deathbringer’s Rod - 50 to 100 pp
Old 11-16-2021, 03:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Fir [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi, another newbie SK here. I haven't played since the release of Luclin and this is my first character on p99 (green).

I'm a 17 TSK currently swinging a Fine Steel 2H Sword and only have 250pp to spend. I obviously can't afford anything fancy but need to upgrade to something serviceable.

Is there anything I should be looking for EC auction chat?

Thank you.
Could also consider a 1handed weapon (sword of skyfire and smoldering brand, etc.) and a shield. The shield gives extra armor (it’s not counted against soft cap so makes a big difference) and you can bash for extra damage/stun mobs.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:31 PM
Planar Protector

I think the SK race choice is most tough of all. Iksars are cool though.

Animation is not an issue, who gives a shit about that lol.

Their combo of regen and decent intelligence makes them a cool choice, and being the strongest non fat bastard is helpful too.

Not sure about missing the blood ember effects. Seems inconvenient but not significant.

Not sure how the innate AC bonus impacts their damage flow. Might be worth the trouble.

I think they're arguably the best race for SK, better than troll for sure in my book.

Ogre is the tough one because of the frontal stun bonus.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the SK race choice is most tough of all. Iksars are cool though.

Animation is not an issue, who gives a shit about that lol.

Their combo of regen and decent intelligence makes them a cool choice, and being the strongest non fat bastard is helpful too.

Not sure about missing the blood ember effects. Seems inconvenient but not significant.

Not sure how the innate AC bonus impacts their damage flow. Might be worth the trouble.

I think they're arguably the best race for SK, better than troll for sure in my book.

Ogre is the tough one because of the frontal stun bonus.
Blood Ember Greaves, Gauntlets (and sometimes Boots) are better than Greenmist and the small AC bonus IMO. If you want the regen, just go Troll so you can still use Blood Ember. Having a no mana cost FD is great in a lot of situations to save you mana (or save you from dying if you are OOM). Same with the gloves, they are great for saving tons of mana on snare, and mana is usually the Shadowknight's biggest bottleneck.

The issue with Greenmist is stacking it with Epic isn't very useful unless you happen to proc both within the first or second tick of the Epic. Otherwise, you do not get that much more life than if you just re-proced Epic. The only good thing about Greenmist is it is easier to get than Epic, so I guess it's decent for a player who never plans on doing raiding of any kind. But if you ever change your mind on that (this game is a long one, so you may change your stance on raiding over time), it may be discouraging.