Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 10:07 AM
Aviak

Default Adding More Noise to the Concert

I get that people come to p99 for "classic" EQ experiences (although we all know this server isn't and can never be truly FULL on classic...)

But you'd think 20 years later there'd be some realization that it's okay to also tweak the game to benefit player's general well being and health.

And that lands my plane on the runway of target windows.

I just don't understand how it is healthy to have 16hr or 24hr spawn windows on a server with such high competition and dozens of mobs to contest.

The large windows are also a major culprit in spread out timers when it hasn't quaked in a while because the variable spawn times spread out all the windows.

Why can't we just agree that 4 or 8 hour spawn timers would be so much healthier, still leave pop times up to chance (and thus require tracking/socking), and decrease the amount of quakes needed to keep people more or less happy?

Maybe I'm delusional but every time I think about this "fix" it works in my head. Someone talk me out of it?

And again, I don't really care about whether this is truly classic or not. We're (mostly) grown adults, I don't think the desire to want something a bit healthier for our lives should be lost on most who read this.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:19 AM
Sarnak

I would change the spawn location to be random as well.
Mario Kart 2.0
Old 07-30-2019, 10:30 AM
Sarnak

Personally I'm more in favor of rotations than shortening all the spawn windows - but that idea is never going to gain any traction with other players and their reasons are valid. As a full-time engineer and a parent, I understand where you're coming from, but I also enjoy that those 7 day target encounters are made all the more epic by the wait and anticipation.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:47 AM
Banned

Where can I sign up for pixel EBT?
Old 07-30-2019, 11:01 AM
Planar Protector

Well, you put it in RnF where it was destined to end up.

Join date less than a year old and you don't understand how the server ended up this way. You don't say...

The problem isn't spawn windows. The problem is some people get their kicks from feeling superior when they deny other people the opportunity at something. That's what makes their endorphins flow. The spawn windows was a "hey, stop it" from the admins to try to give other people a shot at something.

Back in the kunark days there was a guild that was so on top of things no one else had the opportunity to try a boss mob to learn techniques. IIRC, the idea was to make the spawn window so long no one would sit through it all. Unfortunately some neckbeards are so thick they will sit through a large minority of their day waiting for an imaginary dragon to spawn and hit the batphone. The idea of dropping spawn windows has come up several time throughout the years, the answer from the top is generally something like: you guys(and girls) treat another like animals. You've proven time and again you won't change. Spawn Windows are staying. Same for decreasing window duration.

On top of this, can you imagine how hard some people would have this server on lockdown if they knew the exact second a bossmob was going to spawn? They could be in, kill it, and log off before anyone knew they were there. How does anyone have a chance if they have to actively track for days to find when something spawn? It's pretty tough keeping track of spawn windows as it is. Doing it the other way would be worse. No thank you.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 07-30-2019, 11:10 AM
Aviak

Hey Nuggie,

Yeah I started playing on p99 at the new year... so my knowledge and experience of server history is very limited.

I do disagree with your sentiments however. I think with rooted dragons in ToV it has changed the landscape drastically, so much so that I think decreasing the windows would be very different from how it was in years past. I believe this because if more mobs had conflicting windows (that were shorter), guilds would have to be more selective with their targets. And that is precipitated by the fact that killing most ToV dragons doesn't take 20 minutes or less anymore. So, it is my opinion that shorter windows under these new rules would actually open up targets to more guilds because it just wouldn't be possible for one guild to go for all targets.

And again, guilds wouldn't know the "exact spawn time", that's not even close to what I am proposing. 4 or 8 hours is still a lot of time of variance, especially if there are multiple targets in window. Guilds would still need to be strategic and selective with where they devote their resources.

And like I said, it wouldn't be feasible for one guild to dominate all targets given the amount of time it takes to down ToV targets. FTE locks would prohibit this.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:25 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonesler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And again, I don't really care about whether this is truly classic or not. We're (mostly) grown adults, I don't think the desire to want something a bit healthier for our lives should be lost on most who read this.
Obese neckbeards put pixels ahead of health.

You seem to be missing the perspective of this specific audience, which encompasses a very large group on p1999.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:36 AM
Planar Protector

WHY ISNT ANYONE ELSE YELLING? I CANT HEAR ANYTHING AT THIS CONCERT UNLESS YOU YELL OVER THE NOISE!
Old 07-30-2019, 11:45 AM
Fire Giant

I hope that green will make blue's raiding scene a bit more palatable.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:47 AM
Sarnak

I think if the Windows were adjusted smaller, you would have 3-4 more guilds willing to park and compete, which would make zones like NToV a total shit show.

It's enough of a shit show with only 2 guilds going after mobs. It's constant petitionquest/lawyerquest.
Closed Thread