Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Sarnak

i have a lvl 12 necro, i know what its like to solo and have a pet...so it does affect people like me who have an open opinion on the matter

the only thing i can say to help you out alreadyhome, is that they realize this and are working on coming up with a more viable solution.

if you want, when you log in message me...ill switch to my lvl 10 druid and group with ya so you can atleast get decent xp still :/ but aside from that, patience will go along ways
Old 02-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by alreadyhome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is pretty unfortuante for me. I play a level 7 necro, and I am not some sort of AFK leveler or (clearly not) an exlpoiting enchanter. This was not how it was in live, as I was just linked to the pet rules a few days ago (can't find it now...figures) from classic and the game mechanics were like they were before this patch. I do not have the spells to overpower my pet at this point and have any mana left after the fight. This is affecting people who just want to play the game as intended. I, like many others, have obligations at peak times and can only pop in for an hour or two to level. This, combined with the fact that they don't have a substantial exp modifier, is why I chose necro.

This isn't affecting AFK leveling in the least because now they will just sit AFK for twice the time. This is screwing over anyone who just rolled ench. The people who are supporting this are completely unaffected and do not understand that there are people like me who just started and can't play every weekend for twelve hours at a time. You would think you could just go into the code and go if(AFK > 30 mins) you can no longer gain exp.

TLDR: This sucks for me.
Don't sweat it too much - it sounds like they will fix this asap.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Kobold

I'm not sure if anyone has touched on this or not since I don't feel like reading pages and pages of whiny people who don't remember what it really was like. But I recall an xp penalty existing quite similar to the one they just implemented. EQ was designed to be a game of grouping. Of banding together to overcome, one of the reasons it was great. Very few classes, mainly necro and mage, had the ability to solo fairly efficiently but to keep things in a harmonious balance there was a pet xp penalty. I recall groups back in the day having second thoughts about having necros and mages because the penalty applied to the group as well. so this 50/50 split isnt that bad. It makes things closer to classic, which is what, at least, a few of us want. BTW on live I played a necro to 50 99-2000 and a mage to 60 2001+. That is why almost all classes have such hard times soloing. the game isnt designed for it. At least not classic. If you want to play by yourself all the time go play WoW.

/2cents
Old 02-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuosos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i have a lvl 12 necro, i know what its like to solo and have a pet...so it does affect people like me who have an open opinion on the matter

the only thing i can say to help you out alreadyhome, is that they realize this and are working on coming up with a more viable solution.

if you want, when you log in message me...ill switch to my lvl 10 druid and group with ya so you can atleast get decent xp still :/ but aside from that, patience will go along ways
That's really kind of you, I'll see how the exp is the next time I log on. I was really glad to see this thread when I got in here because this is a major nerf for a relatively minor problem that has far better solutions.

For those saying that this was the norm in classic, I would only ask for some sources. I would be cool with it if they implemented this in 1999, but I feel like this didn't come around untill at least Kunark/Velious.

Edit 1: Slayde, I think you have valid points but ridiculing people like me who enjoy a good solo camp spot is not really in the spirit of Everquest, which you are so vehemently defending. I love groups and grouping but they don't love me coming for 45 minutes and then having to camp because I have to work/need sleep/have exams.

Edit 2: Someone in the Enchanter thread on this is claiming that this is a feature that was not implemented until Planes of Power.
Last edited by alreadyhome; 02-18-2010 at 04:54 PM..
Old 02-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We will discuss the 1 point of damage option and have a decision for next patch
http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...1620#post21620
Old 02-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Aviak

Rogean just came into the game and said that it has been reversed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
being a lvl 29 enchanter atm this is a huge blow. Trying to solo as I type this and the exp is non existant....it's really inspiring me to keep playing...

I'm using my casted pet btw.

I'm all for stopping people from AFK leveling but this is not making sense to me at all. Why should I suffer and be forced to group when I'm soloing while I'm at my keyboard and still soloing slower than many other soloable clasess.
Uhh, i'm a Paladin. I am forced to group 99.9% of the time. Why should I suffer and be forced to group?

This argument is silly because EQ was always a social game and was NEVER ABOUT SOLOING. You are meant to depend on others and work together and thats what sets it apart from the new trend of "mmorpgs" like WoW that allow everyone to solo to max.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Finawin

Comparing apples to oranges.

No one cares what the other classes have to suffer in comparison.

I'm also playing a Paladin as my main now, too. It doesn't make sense to nerf something else because of something ENTIRELY unrelated. Faulty logic.

This is all moot anyways because it was already fixed. Thanks to Rogean and co.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Fire Giant

Agreed. Sorry Cubehacker, but if you want to play a game where the classes have been balanced to death (i.e. they're boringly similar), then classic EQ ain't the place to be.

I play a Rogue (among other things). Do I think other classes should be non-soloable because my Rogue isn't? Of course not. That would be stupid.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:44 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3156
Closed Thread