Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 03:55 PM
Aviak

When Braknar left, he stated it was being manually done in a thread on reddit... Not sure if it should be taken with a grain of salt or not.

Either way it can be inferred through various patterns / facts that Earthquakes are manually done, or atleast have been for a time now.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:04 PM
Planar Protector

Theyve (earthquakes) always been manually done. They were even officially announced as being manually triggered.

Server resets are different.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:22 PM
Server GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideousclaw [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That was the one where you said your patented "10 min" and he decided to spring it on that 10min mark for funsies?

Good times were had.
hah, yeah pretty much. The troll got trolled. Players benefited! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-30-2019, 06:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by saftbudet [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No not happy they happen. Because all earthquakes are america prime playtime.

With no earthquakes atleast most ffa raid targets will eventually space out and have more varied spawn time.
You didn't move to the East Coast of america to be closer to the server for quicker coths and optimal raid time? You sound pretty casual TBH

But for real, that's a selfish thing to say. "I don't like earthquakes because i'm asleep when they happen"

The majority of p99 players live in North America. Those who don't, but want to raid make it happen.

You want Raid targets to be spread out.......... that shit is terrible. And it's not like <Infernus> or <Europa> are going to have a better shot at getting a target over riot or aftermath if Lady M spawns at 5am EST. For example.

Menden, we are thankful for earthquakes. Dear lord are we.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:35 AM
Planar Protector

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Majority are manually triggered by Nilbog, him and Rogean are the only ones that know when they are going to happen.
Rogean did one the other day that was pretty out of the blue and not part of Nilbog's normal cycle.

Be happy they happen at all.
To be fair, I think people fundamentally aren't expressing a lack of gratitude for earthquakes, or desire for Nilbog to get up at 4AM, so much as a desire for automating them entirely. Automating earthquakes would be one of the best possible changes P99 could make for the raid scene. It has been for a long time now.

Two dependable quakes a month significantly eased a lot of the problems on the raid scene that existed at the time. For one, they removed the obstacles to lower-tier guilds realistically competing. They effectively broke the expertise stranglehold A/A held. They brought content spawn rates up in line with classic rates accounting for patches, significantly easing congestion and lowering the incentives to act in a cutthroat manner. But after a couple of months with no or only a few quakes, people stopped to feel the quakes were dependable (and again, it's not a matter of gratitude level here), and so the incentives gradually reverted back to "assume no quakes will happen, just in case they don't."

The perception of dependably regular quakes did a lot of real, tangible work for the raid scene. Sure, quakes are just tons of fun in and of themselves. And we all appreciate the fun we get out of the quakes! But the other, to my mind much more desirable benefits depend on people believing that quakes will happen, for sure. I don't think you have to be ungrateful to think it's a damn shame such a powerful tool so often seems to get neglected.

Edit: even better than twice a month would be a flat 1/15 chance per day to trigger a quake at a randomly rolled time to prevent people gaming conditional probabilities
Edit the second: it bears stating that given the above, the change from 2 to 0-3 quakes a month in a poorly conceived attempt to solve the conditional probability problem was a monumental self-own
Last edited by zodium; 05-31-2019 at 04:44 AM..
Old 05-31-2019, 11:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Majority are manually triggered by Nilbog, him and Rogean are the only ones that know when they are going to happen.
Rogean did one the other day that was pretty out of the blue and not part of Nilbog's normal cycle.

Be happy they happen at all.
Love the new avatar Menden!

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To be fair, I think people fundamentally aren't expressing a lack of gratitude for earthquakes, or desire for Nilbog to get up at 4AM, so much as a desire for automating them entirely. Automating earthquakes would be one of the best possible changes P99 could make for the raid scene. It has been for a long time now.
And to be even fairer, Nilbog literally said he was going to automate the quakes (many months ago). I'm always one of the first to defend the staff and try to remind people how grateful we should all be for this server, but when the the project's co-founder tells the player base he's going to do something, I don't think the player base is in the wrong for expecting that thing to happen.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:16 PM
Server GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Love the new avatar Menden!
Finally a Marvel character I can relate to, I was so happy.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:19 PM
Kobold

Thank you gms for an euro time quake!!

Hugs!
Closed Thread