Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 07:14 PM
Planar Protector

Default What's the rule/etiquette regarding looting the kills of others?

I'm noticing a lot of Fine Steel Swords being left to rot on the dead guards in High Keep and I'm highly tempted to scoop them up. What's the general rule/etiqeutte on doing this, looting others kills if they leave the corpses untouched for extended periods of time? I don't want to come off as a jerk to people, but I'm also not one to say no to free money if people don't want it, and that's the impression I get when people don't loot their kills.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Kobold

Go for it. No etiquette, especially in HK. They've had 2 minutes to loot and I know that when I did guards, I looted the swords right away unless I was killing like 5 at a time, and most everyone else does too in my experience.
Last edited by Henlolizar; 06-10-2019 at 07:22 PM..
Old 06-10-2019, 07:29 PM
Planar Protector

Don't loot other peoples stuff without asking. Rude and against the rules. If someone is just leaving stuff to rot they usually would be fine with you just looting it to sell.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 06-10-2019, 08:02 PM
Sarnak

Loot up!

I would say the only time when you shouldn't is if there is a reason they haven't looted it and they were going to, like they are in the middle of a fight and want to focus on completing the kills successfully.

If you are not sure, just do it secretly.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frudrura [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Loot up!

I would say the only time when you shouldn't is if there is a reason they haven't looted it and they were going to, like they are in the middle of a fight and want to focus on completing the kills successfully.

If you are not sure, just do it secretly.
Sounds like great advice ... if you want to get in a fight with another player and quite possibly get suspended:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Nice Policies (/forums/showthread.php?t=325349)
4. You may not Ninja Loot.
Ninja looting defined is when a player, disregarding the players or player who killed a mob, loots an item that is generally regarded as significant or valuable from the mob they did not kill. This is strictly prohibited and will result in removal of the item(s) and any appropriate disciplinary action.
It's not a hard rule to understand (minus the Yoda-speak at the beginning). If you want to get all lawyerly you can try arguing that the FS (or whatever) you took wasn't "significant", but do you really want to bet a suspension on winning that argument with a GM?

As others have said, it's really very easy: if you want to loot a corpse you didn't kill, just ask the person first. If you can't handle doing that, at the very least wait until the last second before the corpse poofs before you loot. And if you don't do either of those things, you might still get away with it ... or you might get a suspension.

Personally I wouldn't think it's worth even the chance of a suspension just to loot some fine steel I did nothing to earn.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-10-2019 at 08:39 PM..
Old 06-10-2019, 08:57 PM
Banned

So if i'm reading this right, just regard the player before you loot their stuff and you're good.

My lawyer services are available starting at 55K/hr
Old 06-10-2019, 09:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiscriminate_hater [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So if i'm reading this right, just regard the player before you loot their stuff and you're good.

My lawyer services are available starting at 55K/hr
What's your retainer fee?
Old 06-10-2019, 09:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiscriminate_hater [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:57 PM
Fire Giant

Realistically you probably will not get in trouble by taking these fine steel weapons (especially if nobody is around) but it is considered rude and in poor taste to stand around someone exping and looting whenever the timer lets you.

If you ask the person leaving the corpses, 99 times out of 100 they will let you have the fine steel. While you're at it, offer to trade their gold out for your plat at a 50% rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like great advice ... if you want to get in a fight with another player and quite possibly get suspended:

Quote:
Originally Posted by play nice policy
4. You may not Ninja Loot.
Ninja looting defined is when a player, disregarding the players or player who killed a mob, loots an item that is generally regarded as significant or valuable from the mob they did not kill. This is strictly prohibited and will result in removal of the item(s) and any appropriate disciplinary action.
A fine steel weapon is neither significant nor valuable. Petitioning something like that is a waste of the staff's time.

That said, I always thought of "Ninja looting" as taking a high level item by nefarious means such as leaving your group during a raid before looting so nobody can see the text, or looting something you didnt earn and logging off, etc. You can be on a raid, help kill the mob, and still be a ninja looter.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:23 PM
Aviak

Ive caught a suspension for just joking about this in game. Best bet is to not even look at whats on the corpse and just keep it moving
Closed Thread