Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 04:49 PM
Planar Protector

Default Staff Question: Why Unclassic Variance on Shady Goblin?

First off, this is purely a request: you all have already given me a great server with stellar CS that I enjoy playing on, and it'd be selfish and short-sighted to demand anything further.

But, a simple explanation of the Shady Goblin variance would be really nice, as it seems to fly in the face of the Project 1999 goals. By that I mean ... does anyone remember buying their OT hammer as a puppet string charge in 2000? Does anyone remember their main tanks clicking mallets to gain agro? Does anyone remember recharges and multi-quests being as common as they are here?

No, because all those things are unclassic experiences, but classic mechanics, and P99 has time after time after time chosen classic mechanics over classic experience. Midnight mallets, puppet strings, re-charging and multi-questing all existed as mechanics on live, so they exist here, even though their use here is anything but classic. This is the P99 way: as classic as possible mechanics, unless there are technical limits or CS limits.

The shady goblin doesn't fit that profile: it's unclassic, there is no technical reason, and it doesn't make the staff's job any easier. The stated reason why GM Cyclock requested changing it was because players knew how it worked, but player knowledge has never (to my knowledge) mattered before in P99 history, with the sole exception of ZEMs. What's worse, this change creates more discord and acrimony among the players. The community has worked really hard to establish a roll for Shady, and the variance has by far been the biggest thorn in our side.

In short, Shady variance is unclassic in a way nothing else on P99 is (except maybe ZEMs). It also creates more drama, not less. All I'm asking, as respectfully as possible, is ... why? Why create drama to fight the stated goals of this project?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:03 PM
Planar Protector

+1 please remove variance from shady goblin....it serves no purpose.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:06 PM
Planar Protector

Well, at this point I'm really just focused on the why myself. Maybe the staff had a great reason for this I'm just not realizing?

Or maybe it wasn't thought out fully and my post will change some minds, but really this wasn't a "please can we change stuff" request: I just wanted to understand why this one mob was handled so differently from everything else in the project (except, again, ZEMs, which I think have a much better argument for being an exception).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:48 PM
Kobold

The bearer of entry is lowered when the timer is exact on mobs like this and scout.

Its lowered even more when it becomes a roll.

having 20-80 people show up on timed intervals to roll dice at a chance of loot doesnt feel classic at all.

As I mentioned in another thread staff could get creative with ways of not only breaking this up, but also punishing those who are breaking the rules by using autofire as a means to secure their turn ins. (https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...&postcount=132)

The other option is to really really fuck with variance and or spawn location (this isnt classic, but we do have unclassic things here already)

If this 24 hour mob had a variance more like 12 hours - 36? 48? hours you would set the bearer of entry back to what it was on live after the initial rush of neckbeards power gaming their way through the shitty windows. (this would most likely take a few months) after that you may actually find people logging in to randomly find it up like live...

You would actually have to ask around to find the timers for last spawn and do work... instead of just showing up at an exact x time, or x time +/- a few hours

Which is a simple repetitive action. Scout rolls which have been established for a long time show how this plays out exactly.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:20 PM
Planar Protector

having a million level 60s and a million lvl 60 alts all wanting this one quest isn't classic either. New server?
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:21 PM
Project Manager

I wasn't aware there was a non-classic variance for shady goblin. Likely, it is something I either tested, or encountered doing research for the quest.

If it is not classic, it can be changed.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:24 PM
Planar Protector

goblin variance was premature guys
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:40 PM
Kobold

Now someone just needs to find the proof that the variance was added on the June 5, 2002 patch like the Zam posts suggest.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:49 PM
Project Manager

It's hard to remember the day I wrote this quest, almost a year and a half ago, much less the details.

Willing to fix it if it's wrong. I'm not sure how to interpret the last 2 posts in this thread if someone wants to translate.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:52 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's hard to remember the day I wrote this quest, almost a year and a half ago, much less the details.

Willing to fix it if it's wrong. I'm not sure how to interpret the last 2 posts in this thread if someone wants to translate.
A lot of the Zam posts suggest it was nerfed on the June 5, 2002 patch and was a 24 hour spawn before that but I didn't spend much time other than that looking. I referenced it in the other shady goblin thread my bad my post didn't make sense without the context.

Quote:
Shady Goblin has been missing on Vallon Zek since the June 5th patch. Has anybody seen him at all? On any server? Any information would be helpful. If you find yourself in Warlisk Woods, please pay his spot a visit. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] It's driving me nuts. Hope you all have better luck than I do at finding him.
Quote:
I've Been trying to catch him up for about 4 days on Ayonae Ro and have yet to see him, and I have been trying to check every couple hours and I have yet to see him either. Knowing VI they probably broke the spawn in one of their last patches. I hope they fix this soon if that truely is the case as I hate being stuck on part of a quest because of a fooked up spawn.
Quote:
Xegony server reporting in. I know of at least one other person doing the quest on my server and he has not been able to find shady either. The only thing that makes sense is that Verant made a stealth change and decided to either increase the spawn time or they changed the name of the mob to something else.

Just a suggestion: maybe try talking to some of the NPC's in the area could yield some results. I'm not exactly liked there so until my faction with the lizzies is a bit higher I won't be trying to get any info from them.
Last edited by Para99; 02-16-2019 at 07:56 PM..
Closed Thread