Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 09:01 PM
Aviak

man, here lately everything I have wanted to do has been camped. Before I preferred high population. Now, I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be more fun to play or an under populated server, like say 300 people on average.

I wonder how that would affect end game? It would be cool if there were only a few raid worthy players and putting together solid raiding guilds was a challenge.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayeatts [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
man, here lately everything I have wanted to do has been camped. Before I preferred high population. Now, I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be more fun to play or an under populated server, like say 300 people on average.

I wonder how that would affect end game? It would be cool if there were only a few raid worthy players and putting together solid raiding guilds was a challenge.
Wut
Old 05-24-2020, 09:25 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wut
haha, am I sounding crazy? I wouldnt doubt it.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:57 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayeatts [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Lmao.

You all actually just want to not wait at all for anything. AKA, instancing.

Just straight up ask for instancing if you're gonna make it that obvious.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:00 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

EQ is huge. Even in classic. You can find stuff to kill if you're creative. Never had anyone contest me for Deep Water Goblins in Lake Rathe. Never see any other players on Live Side of Guk. Nobody even groups in Guk it seems. Sol B You can easily find mobs. The only problem levels I personally experienced were around 21-24, lots of stuff greens out and blues were a bit harder to find. Other than that, have had no problem leveling even during prime time soloing / duoing up into our 40's as a war/sham.

It sounds to me like people don't understand that Everquest is a competitive PvE game. Nobody hands you anything for free - the game doesn't even do that. You have to work for it. You have to work for your XP, for your camps, for your items. You have to explore and find things off the beaten path when the beaten path is overcrowded / not working for you. There are options. If you want to be higher level in Classic, it's competitive and takes a lot of work. As time goes on, the "prestige" of being leveled and geared is worth less, as it gets easier to do.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:09 AM
Aviak

A lot of complainers just want to level 1-50 following whatever guide they have without having to think for themselves. Burnouts that will quit before level 40 from working themselves up when they can't get the exact spot they want everytime competing with people using the exact same guide they are lol
Old 05-25-2020, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryR [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A lot of complainers just want to level 1-50 following whatever guide they have without having to think for themselves. Burnouts that will quit before level 40 from working themselves up when they can't get the exact spot they want everytime competing with people using the exact same guide they are lol
A wiki guide could be made to address that. A guide for the guide.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:37 PM
Aviak

I guess this is an issue primarily for the higher levels. I'm relatively low, and while some camps have been full, I'm still able to find mobs to kill.

Also, wasn't it like this back in the day as well? I can remember going into a zone, asking for a camp check and everything was always camped. Just got my name on a list and killed random stuff while waiting.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardylooGubbins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I guess this is an issue primarily for the higher levels. I'm relatively low, and while some camps have been full, I'm still able to find mobs to kill.

Also, wasn't it like this back in the day as well? I can remember going into a zone, asking for a camp check and everything was always camped. Just got my name on a list and killed random stuff while waiting.
By the time I joined original era in early 2000 most, if not all, the camps were settled. Yes, it was like this back in the day. I recall an 8 hour wait to get into the Frenzy camp on a day off work.

The thing is I didn't expect to get anything. I tried, mostly failed. Was disappointed but didn't log on to the EQ forums to bitch at the developers. That was the game. Everyone wants the really nice items.

Part of it also was there wasn't a whole lot of information put down in a single place for new players like me. I relied on word of mouth, my friends who also heard about something or being in a group and being shown something. Sure, there were some guides for things but you had to go searching for them with no direction of where..

That was something entirely unique to EQ in my experience, having to find things scattered around the web. The game designers didn't do that, it wasn't approved by committee with an in game quest log with glowing arrow to save me from frustration and tossing the console controller through the living room TV in a fit of juvenile rage.

Coming from PS1 games to this was something of a shock for me. Typically everything is laid out for you and everything about the game is inside the game.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:58 PM
Banned

double post rant.

Years ago I was on an MMO board and talking with the guys there, the topic was like "Good MMORPG design" so I came in and brought up features about original EQ. Got into a mild argument with one guy because the ideas I had were stupid and contrary to what is considered good design.

There was also this thing he had.. something he said I still remember. "If I pay money for a game then I deserve to see all of it and get the best items". Not making that up, its stuck with me to this day as its contrary to what I consider good design.

There was never a point in the original-velious era, while I was buying the games and paying the monthly sub fee, that I ever thought "I deserve everything this game has because I pay for it".. it just never occurred to me in such a manner.

Paying to play the game, the game is the game but wasn't paying to win. Sorry that ever game later became MMORPG-like.
Closed Thread