Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 05:15 PM
Sarnak

Min/max is an unattainable illusion of how people on this forum think EQ should play. Create whatever character you want.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
play style and skill
All the gear in the game can't make you a winner, just look at 90% of all clerics.

I just play what I like looking at the most, which is DE of course.

On green, the buddy I duo with plays an ogre shaman and he sure does love it. If you're on blue, think about the bear illusion and what you want to look like, if that matters.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:35 PM
Planar Protector

troll shaman 25 sta 5 wis

ogre shaman 23 sta 5 agi 2 wis

honestly you can throw those wisdom points into str

edit:

i played cleric druid and shaman

for the druid and shaman, your mana pool is not important

you're not going to die because you run out of mana and you're not going to wipe your group because you can't cast one more low-level heal

you're going to die because you run out of hp with a mana bar 30% full, and you'll wipe your group because you're dead and could have been rooting all the adds with all that mana you still had
Last edited by BlackBellamy; 04-29-2020 at 01:47 PM..
Old 04-29-2020, 01:57 PM
Planar Protector

Focus of Spirit cost 500 mana per cast (minus a tiny bit if you specialize Alteration)

You'll want those starting points in wisdom. Then you can focus more into sta/hp gear.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Focus of Spirit cost 500 mana per cast (minus a tiny bit if you specialize Alteration)

You'll want those starting points in wisdom. Then you can focus more into sta/hp gear.
It boggles my mind that people don't understand this.

Let's say you pump 6 starting points into STA instead of WIS because you think, "I can just wear a +6 WIS ring and have the same amount of mana, plus more HP from the extra Stamina."

Sure. You'll end up with like 18 extra HP at level 60. Meanwhile, I'll be wearing my Djarn's ring that gives me +80 HP.

It's about trade offs and opportunity cost. You ALWAYS come out ahead pumping your primary stat at creation, because then you have more flexibility to wear very nice pieces of gear that DON'T have your primary stat (mostly HP and resist gear, few of which pieces also have great primary stats until deep into Velious).

People thinking they are somehow figuring out a new primary stat meta this deep into the game are deluding themselves. It's a primary stat for a reason. Stop overthinking it and shooting yourself in the foot in the process.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:36 PM
Planar Protector

I have a level 60 torpor raid geared ogre Shaman.

Go Ogre. 8 standing hp regen at 60 doesnt help that much. That is why you rarely see 60 Shamans rocking fungi tunics. When you regen 300hp/tick from torpor, an extra 8 isn't make or break. What is make or break is getting torpor interrupted too many times. I am not saying extra regen isn't nice. I still use Fungi staff for WW dragons. It definitely helps on long fights like WW dragons, but a bad Torpor interrupt can kill you. At the end of the day, all Shamans are so OP that Frontal Stun Immunity isn't a requirement, but this thread is about Min/Max specifically.

Starting stats for ogre are 5 agi 25 wisdom. With raid gear, I have 199 STR, 209 STA, and 208 WIS. With Riotous Health and Focus of Spirit, my STR and STA are CAPPED at 255. Only my WIS is still uncapped, and is therefore the stat you should dump the most starting stats into. I can only pump my WIS by 10 with Form of the Great Bear. My raid gear is a little more AC/Resistance focused, so you could pump those numbers up higher with Vulak loot (I am not BiS raid geared), but that is a LONG battle to get a shield of crafting, a ring from Vulak, and a ring from AoW.

Also, to Loramin's point about CHA, I wouldn't worry about it on a shaman. You can get over 100 CHA with Unfailing Reverence and a Crude Stein. Unless your faction is complete trash with the vendor, you will be at CHA vendor cap.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 05-24-2020 at 02:55 PM..
Old 05-24-2020, 02:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It boggles my mind that people don't understand this.

Let's say you pump 6 starting points into STA instead of WIS because you think, "I can just wear a +6 WIS ring and have the same amount of mana, plus more HP from the extra Stamina."

Sure. You'll end up with like 18 extra HP at level 60. Meanwhile, I'll be wearing my Djarn's ring that gives me +80 HP.

It's about trade offs and opportunity cost. You ALWAYS come out ahead pumping your primary stat at creation, because then you have more flexibility to wear very nice pieces of gear that DON'T have your primary stat (mostly HP and resist gear, few of which pieces also have great primary stats until deep into Velious).

People thinking they are somehow figuring out a new primary stat meta this deep into the game are deluding themselves. It's a primary stat for a reason. Stop overthinking it and shooting yourself in the foot in the process.
I mostly agree with the sentiment here, and for Shaman Stamina vs. Wisdom is probably a wash, because we have lots of gear that gives both. However, I'm not sure what that you wrote is true across the board. For instance, I've often heard that Charisma can be harder to get with gear, so it actually does make sense to put stat points into Charisma, so that later you can acquire the (easier) Int/Wis gear instead of the (harder) Charisma gear.

Again, not relevant for Shaman, but I'm just not sure it's always true that everyone should put their stat points into the primary stat.

P.S. Also, everyone always goes into these discussions thinking about BiS gear, but personally I think that's idiotic. Statistically the odds that any newbie asking for this kind of advice is even going to make it to "AA-level raiding" ... let alone is going to do it long enough to get a suit of BiS gear ... I mean it's like a hundred times more likely that they'll quit before they ever even hit soft maxs. And then conversely, ask anyone in a BiS suit who "misspent" their stat points (half a decade ago) if they even really care, and I'd bet the vast majority say no (the newbie with <100 Wisdom reading the forum probably cares more than they do).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-24-2020 at 02:56 PM..
Old 05-24-2020, 03:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P.S. Also, everyone always goes into these discussions thinking about BiS gear, but personally I think that's idiotic. Statistically the odds that any newbie asking for this kind of advice is even going to make it to "AA-level raiding" ... let alone is going to do it long enough to get a suit of BiS gear ... I mean it's like a hundred times more likely that they'll quit before they ever even hit soft maxs. And then conversely, ask anyone in a BiS suit who "misspent" their stat points (half a decade ago) if they even really care, and I'd bet the vast majority say no (the newbie with <100 Wisdom reading the forum probably cares more than they do).
I disagree. The OP is specifically asking about Min/Max. That means you need to consider how the class plays at level 60, with Torpor, and above average gear. That is the point of Min/Max, you want to know what choices in the beginning of the game will have a benefit even in the endgame.

All Shamans with Torpor are super overpowered, so starting race and stats aren't a HUGE factor at the end of the day. All Shamans with Torpor can solo the same stuff. However, Min/Max implies the OP wants as much of an edge as he can get. This means an extra 25 wis of mana endgame, to cast a few more spells. This means Frontal Stun Immunity to decrease Torpor interrupts. This means being able to use a JBB, since it is still useful in certain situations. This is why Iksar is never a Min/Max candidate IMO, unless someone can prove math-wise the extra bit of AC is saving more HP than the mana and HP saved from a free nuke when needed.

If the OP was simply asking which Shaman race levels to 60 the easiest, that would be Troll hands down. You get extra regen, a snare clickie, and JBB at 46.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 05-24-2020 at 03:26 PM..
Old 05-24-2020, 06:46 PM
Planar Protector

Min/Max race depends at least somewhat on playstyle. The value of the Ogre bash resist racial depends directly on how often the character gets hit in melee. It does nothing at all for a character who isn't being directly attacked. For soloists it's nice to have. Those Shamans who generally have someone else taking the hits are better-served with a regeneration racial ability.

Danth
Old 05-25-2020, 02:15 AM
Planar Protector

I was gonna say min max means raiding and barby is best as it’s size is least obtrusive and they are least smelly in enclosed environment... but then I remember they are northmen so probably sweat like a cheese in kunark and velious has built in aircon. Bring in the requirement of ogrewall for tunare and barby is out the running.
Closed Thread