Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-22-2020, 04:24 PM
Large Bat

Default Getting Everquest to run smoothly

It's best to run from windows 10, windows 10 is best because it is far better at being backward compatible. EQ won't use extra cores. It will only use the first core and if it attempts to use extra cores is gets very unstable.
Tip for Mac users!!
wineskin works, but not very well. It's far better to boot camp.
You can't boot camp directly to win 10. Due to the fact that the win10 install file has a file bigger then 4 gigs it is not able to be put on a thumb drive with a fat 32 file system. (the default file system that your thumb drive will be formatted to in the Bootcamp utility.) You must first install win 7 or 8 and then upgrade to 10
or at least this was an issue for me and took days to figure out.

DON'T install into the default location!!!
In win 10 the program files folder will need permissions to edit or change. Because EQ is so old it is NOT compatible with this new change to the program files folder. It's best to make a separate folder on your C drive.

Install the patch from p99 being very sure to include the file structure.
I use Winrar and in the setting you can make sure it will overwrite correctly and follow the folder structure automatically.

Add both eqgame.exe and EverQuest.exe to your firewall white list.

DON'T use the titanium bat file to run EQ. Instead, make a shortcut to the eqgame.exe. and add patchme to the end of the target field like this "C:\Games\Sony\Everquest\eqgame.exe patchme"
This will insure that EQ will not try and patch the game from the daybreak servers. If you forget this step you will have to reinstall from ground zero.

Make sure qgame.exe, EverQuest.exe, and your desktop shortcut are being run as an NT service pack 3 compatibility.

Full-screen and the qclient.ini file. This file is located in your EQ folder. It may be hidden, so you may have to use the search function to find it.
find our the resolution of your desktop
Right-click on your desktop and choose desktop settings. There you'll find your current desktop resolution. Mine is 1680x1050.
Make sure all fields in your [VideoMode] all match
forinstance. like this is what mine looks like
[VideoMode]
WindowedWidth=1680
WindowedHeight=1050
Width=1680
Height=1050
FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
WidthWindowed=1680
HeightWindowed=1050

I hope this helps people, It took me weeks to get this far and EQ is running really well for me now.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:23 AM
Planar Protector

also delete your log files routinely as they can cause issues if they get too big
Old 05-23-2020, 10:42 AM
Kobold

My experience over 6 pc's:

1) windows 7 is actually more stable than windows 10. Sorry, only 6 sample size, but all 4 windows pc's WERE stable before 10 upgrade, now only 2 are. so maybe what i should say is upgrade is causing instability. 2 windows 7 pc's i left 7, and still stable.

2) Playing on a work pc? Don't install with the installer. copy/paste the entire directory from one pc to the other (via flash drive or whatever) and just run the launcher. If it works, no program file entry to get you in hot water.

3) wireless sucks. wire up oldschool and read up a little bit on UDP as that's the realtime world you have swallowed when you try to get everquest to work. no transmission control for you, baby!
Old 05-23-2020, 02:23 PM
Kobold

Playing on a Win8.1 Pro desktop PC has been no issues at all over the years, I am hopeful that I can avoid a Win10 PC for as long as possible. Do look through the forums here for the enhancements like the texture pack and other quality of life fixes.