Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 01:34 PM
Planar Protector

Default Wiki Feedback Request: New "P99 Era" Templates

Pretty much since Green was announced, wiki editors have wanted templates to mark the "in-between" eras that Nilbog's monthly patching scheme will create. However, I held off on making them, to wait to see how exactly Nilbog handled things.

Now that we have the first such patch, and it's clear that the format will be "*Full Month Name* *4-Digit Year*", I've gone ahead and added new templates based on that format. As always you can see all the era templates (old and new) at:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Category..._Era_Templates

As a "proof of concept", I also added a new category for the era, and added the tiger Jo Jo to that category (as the patch notes made it sound like he only became accessible with this patch).

I'd really appreciate any feedback people have on the new templates, especially their aesthetics. I tried to make the new templates look similar to the old ones, while also being somewhat visually distinctive. I used a gradient background (from classic green to Velious blue) and some shadowing to achieve that, but it may be too much, so (as always) I'd really love to hear what people think of it.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:40 AM
Fire Giant

Ohh interesting! Anything that makes the wiki better I support!

Love that wiki to deathhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, its so good for me, since I am usually doing like a gazillion things all the time I am playing and sometimes I just need a quick brief on anything.

Since I am usually lost on stuff and for better backtracking, can you like add when the change was made on current time? Like great to know it was from may 1999, but when did it make it into Green/teal real time? December 2019?

Great Job![You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
----------------------------------
[center]
Old 12-16-2019, 11:40 AM
Planar Protector

Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormotus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Since I am usually lost on stuff and for better backtracking, can you like add when the change was made on current time? Like great to know it was from may 1999, but when did it make it into Green/teal real time? December 2019?
Great suggestion, but here's the issue. When someone adds a template to the page right now, they just have to write:

Code:
{{P99 Era Header| May | 1999}}
The most obvious way to make your idea happen would require that they instead write:

Code:
{{P99 Era Header| May | 1999| December | 2019}}
... which would be a hassle and I'm not sure everyone would.

Another option would be to calculate the "current date" in the code ... but A) doing logic in wiki templates is incredibly painful, and B) Nilbog would have to be perfect for that to work. If any patch was a month late or early it would break the whole system (at least until I add even more painful wiki logic).

But a third option (which I'm leaning towards), is having the wiki know what patch it's currently on, and then having it display that patch adjacent. So, at least for the page templates, instead of it saying (as it does currently) "May 1999 Era (added May 1999)" it could say "May 1999 Era (Currently in June 1999 Era)". This way the wiki would only need to be updated in a single place after every update, instead of every template needing to know both dates, or using some super painful wiki logic to try to guess it.

And maybe (since this would be Javascript based and not wiki-template based) I could actually do logic to instead say something "May 1999 Era (Two Months Old on Green/Teal)."

Let's wait until we get another few patches from Nilbog first, since this isn't even really a problem yet, and waiting will give us more data to go on. But it shouldn't be too hard, and I could definitely see adding it once we're farther along, and it starts becoming hard to tell what stuff in the wiki is/isn't "live" yet.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread