Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 07:54 AM
Former Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirrund [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The Witcher started out as short stories for a literature magazine and then as they gained popularity grew into world building and then a series of novels. The Last Wish is a collection of many of the short stories, and I get that vibe from the Season 1 Netflix series. There's a lot of names and places and rules and things thrown at you, and to someone not as knowledgeable in how it all makes sense it probably sounds like a bunch of bullshit that just happens for the sake of it happening.

I think it's more like a 7/10. There's too much backstory and explanation for the setup they're trying to get to, which is the start of the books, for it to all be crammed into only 8 hours. But I think it has potential for sure.
This is actually a great summary. I knew nothing of the books or game, I had to literally turn subtitles on because they were name dropping so many places and people that it was hard to keep up in the first episode. It felt like a bit of a "try hard" effort to be like game of thrones.

Ultimately I enjoyed the series even if some episodes were lacking, and felt the finale was a tad weak. It leaves me wanting to know more about Witchers such as who created them, what do their potions do exactly, are there more hidden powers, etc. Looking to learn more about the "conjunction of the spheres" which seemed like an important event.

Henry Cavill was excellent in the lead, and there is hunchback sex. 8 / 10, would watch second season.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:35 AM
Planar Protector

7/10

Purely because it’s entertaining and there are some genuinely good episodes. There’s also a disjointed plot and bad pacing at times, and overall it isn’t great. Worth the watch though if you already have Netflix. I think the setup for season 2 could have it getting way better

Mandalorian was orders of magnitude better though, and I hate Star Wars and Disney
Old 12-30-2019, 05:47 PM
Sarnak

Only got as far as episode 4, but I'm properly seething. Such a wasted opportunity. I'm not too bothered about the race changes, but the casting of Triss Merigold and Ciri are disgraces. The world they have built in the TV series is confusing as heck - compounded by the jumpy timeline. I've read some of the books and played Witcher 3 for over 70 hours and if I find it confusing then how is someone who is new to it supposed to figure out what is going on? I'll give Cavill a bit of credit though, he does a reasonable job I think.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:07 PM
Banned

I am intrested after having read the whole thread and being a bit aware of the games but never playing one...but almost bought the 1st game once.

Is this viewable right now without a Netflix subscription?
Old 01-02-2020, 09:31 AM
Kobold

Trash compared to the books, the changes in lore, story and character's (mentality/history) made it pretty hard to watch.
Closed Thread