Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 04-15-2024, 03:32 PM
Large Bat

Default Returning Player - Question About Class to Play

Hi folks,

I'm sure that you've gotten this question a million times, so please shoot me to the appropriate thread and I'll just catch up.

I played about 13-14 years ago on Blue - 50 Cleric with planar gear. Saw Vanilla in its entirety and had a lot of fun with folks raiding, etc.

Now I'm a dad with a wife and 2 kids and I don't have a ton of time to play, but I had the itch to come back and see Kunark and Velious in the way that I did Vanilla (in detail and go to places that I'd never seen during live).

It's unrealistic for me to expect that I'd have the time to dedicate to raiding, etc. but I'd be in it for the long haul so I don't mind the grind. What is the best class to solo, see the world and experience all of the content that I've never seen before without being totally reliant on the help of others/strangers? I have a little bit of cash to twink, but would prefer to start fresh.

Obviously I just assumed that I'd take a necro, but Shamans seem powerful? Or could just go Druid or Wiz for porting, but seems limiting in terms of only being able to solo in open spaces...

Let me know your thoughts.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:50 PM
Planar Protector

My opinion: Correct that Necro will be the default easiest there.

Shaman can be good as well, but much better if you have the money to twink them semi-decently in order to more effectively facetank mobs using melee and slow (which you can do for quite awhile once you get your first good slow).

Enchanter is obviously another very powerful one when it comes to your ability to explore and try out new places. And they don't need much gear besides boosting CHA to help with Charm killing (once you reach the point where that method is viable). I did this on my Enchanter; basically just only went to places I hadn't leveled significantly before to try them out (invis, pacify line, illusions, etc. all make for a great tool kit for exploration).

If you can twink it out, Monk is also not bad solo.

Separately, with respect to your comment on raiding, on Blue you could absolutely join Kittens Who Say Meow and raid whenever you want (IIRC they don't have raid attendance requirements). Might need to get the Cleric up to like 55 for some of the stuff though.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:04 AM
Planar Protector

necro - FD/gate will be clutch with kids
Old 04-16-2024, 06:41 PM
Large Rat

does necro FD fail at all. I had a monk back in 99 and feign death could fail. bonus with a necro is you can always summon your corpse to you if you are deep in a dungeon. just keep the component in the bank.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
does necro FD fail at all. I had a monk back in 99 and feign death could fail. bonus with a necro is you can always summon your corpse to you if you are deep in a dungeon. just keep the component in the bank.
it can fail, yes

but its very obvious when it does fail on cast

you also get harmshield (DA) and gate...so its pretty hard to die
Old 04-18-2024, 08:59 PM
Kobold

If you want to 100% solo I'd suggest Necro. They have good group utility but given the age of the server you're not likely to group a lot.

Shamans are a good solo/group choice. Lots of fun stuff to do end game. Epic is fairly easy. Buying spells can be a hassle if you don't have time to farm some plat.

Guilds: Tons of semi casual guilds on the server (Gravity / Kittens / Axiom / Sanctum Alliance)
Old 04-19-2024, 12:00 PM
Aviak

The biggest problem i had leveling my necro when i had small kids was forgetting to take off lich and coming back 15minutes later dead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] not the biggest deal, especially sub50 when i happens most, as exp is super easy as a necro but it is something you will likely have to deal with, if you afk often.

Druid is super afk friendly, invis is great but i would often just port to sfg and walk away as soon as the port didn't collapse and 100% you will be alive when you come back, also charming and healing at the same time is super fun, and plenty of places to find animals to play with

Mage is also fairly afk friendly as pet can protect you when you go away but also because as a mage, when you solo it will be in very safe locations, places, typically, with static spawns that don't wander often.

i would stay away from Shaman, they are underwhelming at lower levels, albeit still very powerful geared up, until canni, and even then, they are best with a partner/trio.

My recommendation would be druid, necro, mage in that order [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-19-2024, 02:27 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I soloed a druid easily into the 50s with a lot of afk camps.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:14 PM
Planar Protector

Don't leave us hanging OP. What did you go with?
Old 04-23-2024, 04:55 PM
Large Bat

Necro!

I love the Druid idea for the porting of it all, but feels like more utility in how Necros can move through the world (invis undead, FD, fighting in small corridors) that would be useful for trying to see as much of the content as possible.

Of course, as I start trying to walk/boat around the world, I may get really sick of this and fallback to a Druid. But Necro to start!