Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Project Manager

Default pvp guard assist questions

Okay so we now have the ability for NPCs to protect pcs vs pcs.

This will require placing a flag on each individual npc type which should assist.

From what I recall, all city guards, and all guildmasters functioned this way.
-City guards
-Guildmasters
Yes?

How about other npcs which protect pcs from npcs
-a_guard - highpass
-a_highpass_citizen - highpass
-explorers, pilgrims, drixies - firiona vie
etc

Discuss.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Planar Protector

I don't like the idea of citizens/pilgrims assisting in PVP (unless they would normally attack for faction reasons).

Guards are different because it's their purpose to guard. They also need to be indiscriminate and attack all parties involved in PVP, not just an aggressor. Otherwise, it would be too easy for certain classes to appear as just retaliating instead.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:05 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They also need to be indiscriminate and attack all parties involved in PVP, not just an aggressor. Otherwise, it would be too easy for certain classes to appear as just retaliating instead.
They didn't kill everyone involved on eqlive, iirc. If you're both good faction, they would kill the aggressor. I don't think you should be killed when standing by a friendly guard, because someone attacks you.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Banned

All mobs in the game displayed this behavior, from griffons and rats to bards, PODs, and gods. It's what made the pvp servers so immersive and amazing.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think you should be killed when standing by a friendly guard, because someone attacks you.
Nobody is advocating getting killed for just standing there. If you don't attack, there's no penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you're both good faction, they would kill the aggressor.
But how is a guard going to decide who attacked first if someone engages you and then kites you to the guard? What if a monk attacks you, you fight back, the monk FDs, and you don't have the reaction speed to turn off auto attack before your next swing or stop your spell from casting? What if it's an SK instead and he pops up just in time to last-hit you with HT after a swarm of guards does most of the hard work?

The guard system needs to be robust enough to not be abused.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Last edited by Samoht; 11-25-2011 at 03:14 PM..
Old 11-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Planar Protector

I could go either way on this idea. I mean its going to suck if people just run and hide in towns near level 50 NPC guild masters but at the same time you could form raids and shit stomp cities just to get to people.

Could overall make PVP more interesting but at the same time this could deter small scale PVP battles.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Planar Protector

I remember the Priest of Discord attacking me for pvping someone. Right? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.. :S
Old 11-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
They didn't kill everyone involved on eqlive, iirc. If you're both good faction, they would kill the aggressor. I don't think you should be killed when standing by a friendly guard, because someone attacks you.
If the players in question had equal faction, they attacked neither, I think. I remember having max ally faction in many places where other people also did.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:14 PM
Banned

This also worked with damage shields... if someone with lower faction had a damage shield up, and you hit them, the guards would kill them.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But how is a guard going to decide who attacked first if someone engages you and then kites you to the guard?
I think that would involve a bit of strategy.. if you are kited to a guard who is going to assist your adversary, you got owned for not knowing your faction and/or where guards are?

Quote:
What if a monk attacks you, you fight back, the monk FDs, and you don't have the reaction speed to turn off auto attack before your next swing or stop your spell from casting?
Quote:
What if it's an SK instead and he pops up just in time to last-hit you with HT after a swarm of guards does most of the hard work?
Seems like both of these would work as intended. In both situations, the player should know not to fight FD classes near guards?

Most of what I'm saying is here is from memory, so, more input requested.
Closed Thread