Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 08:39 AM
Sarnak

Default The Solo dungeon crawl

I am looking to make a minor Twink class that is 100% solo. They don't need to be the best or fastest soloist, just viable. I also want to level them as much as possible in dungeons or off the beaten path camps. My goal is to go to a place, go through it and move on to the next, repeating as little as possible. It is going to be a slow journey - but with all that said I also want this class to be a bit martial. I considered shaman, especially with some of the new items out post chardok, but I am also strongly considering SK. I want to feel like I am hacking and slashing my way through the dungeon, not root rotting. So if I did shaman I would try and slow tank as much as I could. Ranger is also considered although I feel they are limited indoors. I've also considered monk, but there are so many monks out there I am hesitant to just be another lizard flopping his way through dungeons.

Would love any thoughts, comments, suggestions.

Thanks!

(clickies a class has access too are a plus!)
Old 03-23-2019, 09:15 AM
Fire Giant

I loved solo dungeon crawling with my SK on live, you have to either be able to crowd control or FD split pull imo.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:06 AM
Large Bat

I agree that SK might be your best bet. You should look trough and gather a few different clickable and rechargable items to help you on the way.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:17 AM
Sarnak

I was leaning towards SK or Shaman and SK seemed to fit the mold I am looking for a bit better, despite being a "weaker" solo class. They have invisible, IVU, FD. That alone means getting around the dungeons will be easier. They have a snare available to them (even in a clickie form) so mobs won't run and cause trains or other issues. Fear kiting, although risky and not viable in dungeons, does allow them to solo with minimal downtime. Especially if you get clickie darkness and clickie fear.

What other items are must haves for this play style? Any tactics that are not obvious for soloing as an SK in tight spaces?

thanks all
Old 03-23-2019, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

Have you thought about bard? They’ll be the best solo dungeon crawler until 50, because their charm uses no mana. After that, charm still works but you will have to med eventually. Their snare is also the best in the game and you can stack pretty big dots with that. They still can melee, so somewhat hack n slash as you put it. This is what I did on my bard and it was a blast. I didn’t even stock up on root nets which would be a game changer in certain situations.

Sk is another option but they will need fungi haste and tons of resist gear to really attempt any dungeon that has a significant amount of casters. Troll is gonna be the best race for this with all the clickies Regen and slam. You won’t be fearing in that many dungeons.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:56 AM
Sarnak

Would paladin be any good for this? Root/Stun/Lull is pretty nice to have in tight quarters, I'd imagine. DW helm for downtime healing as well. SK snare/FD is pretty good though, hard to say.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycon43 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Would paladin be any good for this? Root/Stun/Lull is pretty nice to have in tight quarters, I'd imagine. DW helm for downtime healing as well. SK snare/FD is pretty good though, hard to say.
I'd probably give pally the edge until 50. I've played both, I just find SK spells more enjoyable vs Pallies. Both are gonna be rough 50+ with little dps, but Sks will get the edge there being able to fear kite places and having more dps based spells.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:22 PM
Planar Protector

No melee class is truly good for solo'ing.

Inside a dungeon a Paladin can maintain a somewhat higher killrate than a Shadow Knight due to massive amounts of self-healing available from deepwater click items (level 45-plus), saving much downtime between kills. Maintaining that kill rate will also consume a massive amount of damage shield potions, but the option's there. Few do this. Paladin struggles to reliably pull. Breaking tough areas ranges from difficult to outright impractical. Paladin root (just "root" until high level) isn't going to lock down a 4-pull. Soon as you get a critical lull fail you're either capping out or eating dirt.

Shadow Knight can get around more easily and can hold his camp in the face of mistakes, bad pulls, and other players trying to train you out of your camp (it happens). He can split difficult camps. Between these factors he has a wider range of areas available than the Paladin has, even if he might do them a little slower. Weak self-healing (either a fungus tunic at 150 HP/min all the time or a velious quest chestplate at ~400HPmin outside combat) limits their potential killrate. Expect to consume a great many damage shield potions with this one too, although they get by without more effectively than a Paladin does. Some dungeons permit use of fear-kiting, but there are definitely areas where it's impractical.

Both hybrids really like having at least a duo partner; in either case solo is not their forte.

He could play a melee-oriented Shaman. They don't have to root/dot. It's perfectly valid for a Shaman to use a decent-ratio weapon (often but not always 2-handed) and melee via slow and self heals, using damage spells to compensate for lower priest melee tables. Against things which can summon that's often the preferred method of Shaman solo, indoors or not. Some solo-oriented Shaman players prefer to gear with a focus on health and armor for that reason.

Danth
Old 03-23-2019, 02:45 PM
Fire Giant

Couple things, OP.

Depending on what dungeons you are wanting to do this with you may need to be really twinked. You could probably crawl most dungeons in which there are level 30ish mobs with a moderately twinked SK/Paladin, but once you start dealing with mobs that are in the lower/mid 40's like in lower Guk you will find that even a really twinked SK/PAL will be a very inefficient soloing experience, though you could probably clear an area slowly with long med/heal breaks in between fights.

I have no experience with sham, but I wouldn't let the fact that there are so many monks dissuade you from playing monk, especially if you have never done it before. There is a reason they are popular. Definitely OP but it is an experience everyone should have I think. Roll human if being more unique is important to you.

Even a moderately twinked monk will be able to crawl and solo much more efficiently at higher levels than a SK or PAL.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:58 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXG [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was leaning towards SK or Shaman and SK seemed to fit the mold I am looking for a bit better, despite being a "weaker" solo class. They have invisible, IVU, FD. That alone means getting around the dungeons will be easier. They have a snare available to them (even in a clickie form) so mobs won't run and cause trains or other issues. Fear kiting, although risky and not viable in dungeons, does allow them to solo with minimal downtime. Especially if you get clickie darkness and clickie fear.

What other items are must haves for this play style? Any tactics that are not obvious for soloing as an SK in tight spaces?

thanks all
Your main problem will be quick escapes. You might want to avoid caster mobs if possible, and pull to zone if possible.

Gives you 5 charges of 6sec stuns. Cheap recharge at 6p.
https://wiki.project1999.com/Forlorn...of_Rolfron_Zek

Complete heal
https://wiki.project1999.com/Reaper_of_the_Dead

And a circlet of shadows, for stealth.
Closed Thread