Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 10-02-2022, 12:55 AM
Fire Giant

I played through the launch of original EQ through to Luclin. It had its charm in PvE which mainly came down to the sense of competition between guilds for targets. Dark Age of Camelot drew me away in a hurry because its promise of PvP between realms seemed pretty tight. For a while it was. I would claim that it was City of Heroes that drew away a BIG stake of the PvE player base of both Everquest & Dark Age of Camelot when it offered a lengthy Beta test. Don't kid yourselves - CoH broke some stupidly massive ground for the PvE MMO scene for its time.

World of Warcraft did have some cartoony graphics and it also had spoon fed leveling on the rails. From what I recall at the time, those were the two key elements that drove people away from it. Well, the ones that were seeking something else that felt more challenging. But I don't know. On both the EQ and WoW based forum boards I didn't really see a fair number of posts from upset players that said something along the lines of "I'm heading back to EQ, this is dumb."
Old 10-02-2022, 04:05 AM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-02-2022, 06:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
God Damn It
Old 10-02-2022, 09:12 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

World of Warcraft did have some cartoony graphics and it also had spoon fed leveling on the rails. From what I recall at the time, those were the two key elements that drove people away from it. Well, the ones that were seeking something else that felt more challenging. But I don't know. On both the EQ and WoW based forum boards I didn't really see a fair number of posts from upset players that said something along the lines of "I'm heading back to EQ, this is dumb."
If anyone was driven away from WoW during classic is was an extreme minority, vanilla WoW was an excellent evolution of the MMO genre for the vast majority of players.

It got rid of some of the most tedious elements of EQ (like extremely painful CRs and the almost complete inability of some classes to solo) which the majority of people didn't enjoy, while improving raid and dungeon boss mechanics, instancing them so you got to actually experience all the content, made it so you actually moved through a zone instead of camping in one spot for hours, etc.

the classic WoW servers would have been a blast except for the horrible, horrible player base and Blizzard refusing to change things. Level 60 mages shouldn't have been able to run people through low level zones for XP, world buffs should not have been a raiding requirement, and the worst of the worst was the whole community was overrun by an extreme min-max mentality to where you would only bring specific classes to raids to steamroll them as fast as possible. The game was the same, but the player base sure wasn't,
Old 10-02-2022, 09:46 AM
Banned

Old 10-02-2022, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valakut [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i dont think any eq players ever disliked wow. when wow came out you had to buy physical boxes with cd-rom/dvd-rom with actual cd key. you couldn't even find a copy for a while because it was so popular. so some may have had angst from not being able to participate.

on the other hand the eq players i know went to eq2 but that shit was harder than a korean mmo at launch. so you had a fragmented eq player base between eq, eq2, and wow. and there was no raiding in wow though at this point. they eventually nerfed difficulty on eq2. and eq was like 600 aa's minimum to app to a high end guild. and then wow got UBRS the first 10 man instanced roughly a year after launch.

so in the end you had hardcore raiders on eq, instanced casual fun hour on wow, and eq lore nerds on eq2. each game had it's own demographic.
There is still a lot of easily accessible content u dont need to be uber to do normal raids just find a guild that does them.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is still a lot of easily accessible content u dont need to be uber to do normal raids just find a guild that does them.
conversly mythics up to 10's are pretty easy.

its' just a lot mroe lobbyquest
Old 10-02-2022, 10:41 AM
Planar Protector

I personally didn't like WoW at all. It was due to the game being far too easy in comparison to Everquest.

Sadly Everquest also got really bad because it tried to copy WoW, so I stopped playing Everquest too.

WoW certainly had the superior art style and polish, so there really was no point in playing Everquest when it was just turned into a want-to-be WoW.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everquest came out when nerds were into fantasy and persistent worlds

wow came out and invited all the worst people in the unvierse to like fantasy and persistent worlds

now fantasy and persistent worlds are ruined

the end.

I added the corrolary part of the equation.

It's debatable, but every time I hear someone say, as if it makes sense, "After all, I have a real life" about game mechanics, a little spool of tape comes out of my robot hole that says, "Does not compute."

In the beginning, you either had the time for this crap or you didn't. No respectable nerd complained about "I drive a Ford Taurus and am respected at the office!" stuff.

I, if the universe needs to know, only needed 3-4 hours sleep for most of my life. Plus, I work best when I multi-task. EQ was a fucking gift.
Old 10-02-2022, 01:11 PM
Fire Giant

never played wow or eq2

so happy for that.
sorry yall were torn
Kittens Who Say Meow / Asgard / The Mystical Order / Forsaken / Aftermath
Sacrifice*P99G*
[] Tunare 2000+ Kabijito [] FippyDarkpaw TLP Radda []