Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 02:31 PM
Orc

Default Tough Spot.

Hello all,

I'm in a tough spot right now, I recently started playing p1999 and decided to level a few characters to decide which to play.

I wanted to play an Ogre Warrior but finally decided on a Monk, since it was the next in line besides Ranger [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] of my favorite classes and because I can't afford 2 Lamentations yet to tank reliably. Well after a few days of saving I was finally able to afford Wu's Quivering Staff, Cured Silk, Plat Fire Wedding Rings x2 and Golden Jaded Bracelet x2.

By no means am I twinked but I can get the job done. My issue now, currently lvl 11 is that I'm having a tough time effectively soloing for xp (Mends not capped,even then bleh no Fungi) and the groups I have been running into are absolutely horrible. I end up pulling W/o FD mind you and also end up tanking (not that I mind but the low Hp really takes its toll). The SK's can't even keep aggro with disease cloud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.], not only that but the bards and ench dont CC at all. So if we get adds I end up eating dirt EVERYTIME.

I'm at a loss at the moment because grouping has become down right painful. Where should I got from here? Should I just keep on pushing?(hard to level with constant xp loss) Should I level the warrior without the Lammy's? Trying to avoid playing a class i'm not to fond of just to see the rest of the game, i.e casters (I could never get into, always Tank/Melee).

Help a new player out!
Last edited by Flintt; 11-23-2014 at 02:33 PM..
Old 11-23-2014, 03:07 PM
Sarnak

Dude you are 11 and making a big deal out of nothing. Play what you want and suck it up, it gets better.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:12 PM
Sarnak

It's also ok to tell people what to do in group. Sometimes people feel like it rude to tell other people that they are playing their class wrong, but if you use tact and are actually correct you will be doing them a favor in the end. Don't suffer in silence.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Fire Giant

It takes some time. I had a similar problem. I don't want to make any assumptions about your game history, but I know a lot of us who went from EQ to WoW came back to P99 and were horrified to remember what it's like to play a game that you actually have to play and pay attention to instead of what WoW has become where you just click the raid finder button, teleport into the end-game, burn through a couple of fights in 15 minutes without saying a word to anyone and then roll against yourself for loot. If that's your situation, you'll get used to how much harder this game is pretty quickly. You'll probably want to quit by your 20s, but stick it out and you'll get back to enjoying this fantastic game very soon.

Every song I play is actually just me screaming the 1812 Overture in a raspy, shrieking falsetto.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Kobold

Ask players up front if they can do certain tasks you need.

Then don't be afraid to bark out orders. "Root this!" "Mez This!" "Tank This!" "Assist me" Off tank that!"

Be informed about your agro.

If you have a designated tank, it's YOUR job to control YOUR agro and not steal it from them. If you have semi twinked rate of attack going on and they don't, then they will have a very difficult time even if they are trying hard. Increase your range to the mob to max melee range. Pause before attacking to allow them to generate some hate. Turn off auto attack while fighting if your getting is significantly more hits in, as pausing some will help greatly if you pull it back too often. If your the puller, I would....

Pull the mob, single throw to agro for pull only auto attack off... let tank pull it off back at group quickly. Wait a moment before attacking. Once down 20% attack for 50-65% dmg, then move on to the next pull while group finishes the last 25-15% of the mob off. (unless you have one on hold from CC).

Repeat as long as the mana keeps up with the heals.

Krey
Old 11-23-2014, 03:53 PM
Sarnak

Monk is less gear dependent than a warrior; I would say stick with the monk. Just grind it out man - there is no real secret to Evequest

Leading the charge to bring back the classic feature /guildwar
Old 11-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Kobold

If the sk couldnt hold aggro over 2 wu sticks he was a shitty sk, even if his gear was shit. Disease cloud will win over those every day. In an extreme circumstance he'd have to cast it twice. Keep going, monk will be lots of fun and as you progress people tend to be better at their classes.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Sarnak

Ya, sounds like bad luck, everytime I group, the runs are awesome.
I'm lvl 19 currently , and everytime I group good players, I friend list them, you'll want a big list 20-40 people, cause they won't all stick kt that lowbie and move on
Eventually when u log on.. You'll have 1-3 of ur buddies u know are good, and gonna rock out some XP

Gluck, get that mend up, grab a regen in EC for 20 minutes, and grab a dmg shield, I'll even provide it on my Mage. Get you out of a couple crappy lvls in a few mins .

Edit oops: wizard 19, Greacenthe
Last edited by DarkwingDuck; 11-23-2014 at 05:15 PM..
Old 11-24-2014, 05:06 AM
Aviak

Monk soloing is tough, and it is very frustrating until you get to around level 20 where you have increased damage cap and most importantly, a well-working Feign Death. You also get more sitting regen at level 20, Eagle Strike, and Bind Wound starts being decently useful.

You need to constantly be focusing on killing mobs that are baaarely blue, or "high green". Pull a mob one or two levels too high and you have to start over. To be honest, this continues for the rest of your soloing career, but you learn to deal with it.

Stick to it! When you get Feign Death the game changes totally, and I would recommend you max it out in a safe area as soon as you get it, just because it's so nice to be able to bail out on overpulls. It saves you so much time from running to the guards/zone or doing corpse recovery (CR). I was so close to giving up on my Monk in the early levels, but at level 17 with FD I knew I was in for some fun.

Also, I wouldn't recommend doing big groups at low levels, but instead look for a duo partner. Being 5-6 people in a group slowly pulling newbie mobs and having to deal with AFKs, overpulls, different mindsets, etc. is simply not worth it, and by that I mean the XP will be crap and it's more annoying than good. If you can find a priest or caster to duo with, that will rock.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:06 AM
Planar Protector

Lammies suck, bad. Get dual jade maces if you really wanna go super fast weapons. Whether or not that holds threat well for a low warrior, I have no clue. Would work better than those ugly, ugly lamentations tho and are also cheaper!
Closed Thread