Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 05:02 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some people just don't want to be happy.
Most probably don't know how.

"if the rules are all you use to determine what you should or shouldn't do, you're probably an a-hole" -soup

Hooden • Xegony enchanter '00 - '02 • <Aeternus> from SoD '06 - '07
Old 12-04-2019, 06:37 PM
Planar Protector

Imagine if everyone complaining about /list being a suboptimal system actually volunteered time as CSR then maybe we would be able to have the optimally classic system...
Old 12-05-2019, 03:00 AM
Planar Protector

If you think it’s bad now..take away /list and you’ll find out what bad really is.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:11 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBerta [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you think it’s bad now..take away /list and you’ll find out what bad really is.
Imagine... what it was like when we first played...?

I think the word you were looking for is remember.

"if the rules are all you use to determine what you should or shouldn't do, you're probably an a-hole" -soup

Hooden • Xegony enchanter '00 - '02 • <Aeternus> from SoD '06 - '07
Old 12-05-2019, 11:20 AM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuklak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Imagine... what it was like when we first played...?

I think the word you were looking for is remember.
Oh, I do remember. 2009-2014 or so, when we had time limited items originally, was a shitshow on P99 without list.

The argument that 'people haven't changed' is just not based in reality and a result of wishful, rose-colored glasses thinking.

Quote:
ROBO umps aren't used in baseball for the same exact reason. IT CHANGES THE GAME.
Maybe the game needs changing because the people have too, and the rules of the game have to be updated to match the people playing and enforcing the game.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 12-05-2019, 11:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyjalx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The game is worse off with staff implemented CSR mechanics. And that's entirely the problem.
Yes, the game was so great prior to FTE shout messages, where it could be hours/days after you already distributed the loot when you find out from the GMs that rival_guild_monk001's javelin hit the mob 0.2 seconds before your arrow, so the kill belonged to them and the loot transferred.

/eyeroll

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 12-05-2019, 11:56 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can make programmed systems that police themselves in the spirit of classic that weren't possible or thought of back in the day.

It's like baseball's robo-umpire system that a lot of people push for; the technology is there and people want to replace humans because humans will get things wrong where a machine will not. I mean, if you watch baseball you'll see that we have the tech. The broadcasts often show pitch replays and constantly show where an umpire got a call wrong.

/list is the EverQuest version of Robo-Umpires. You don't want it because it'll stop you from being a scumbag making biased decisions, but it's needed to remove human error from the equation.
Except for the fact that Robots can malfunction or break and then they will get stuff wrong think about that....

Zekay 60 Torpor Shaman - <Guild>
Old 12-05-2019, 12:18 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekayy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Except for the fact that Robots can malfunction or break and then they will get stuff wrong think about that....
Have you found instances where /list wasn't working as intended? If so, have you reported the bugs?

Old 12-05-2019, 12:22 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Imagine if everyone complaining about /list being a suboptimal system actually volunteered time as CSR then maybe we would be able to have the optimally classic system...
Sorry, I don't trust anyone to actually enforce the rules as they're written at this point. Imagine the lawyerquest folk running the show. Yikes.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:22 PM
Orc

This poor guy back in the day spent a whole day trying to get a FBR..... I got six in a row the other day..... Lists seem to have worked similar in 1999 as they do here on p1999.

Quote:
I spent 20 hours on Memorial Day weekend 1999 praying to Marr that Najena would appear only to slay elemental after elemental. I got the robe…and then promptly quit playing the game for the majority of the summer. I was burned out.

One weekend I camped the Ancient Cyclops spawn for 24 straight hours. In that time, he appeared once, after 7 hours. It wasn’t my turn to loot. I waited 17 more hours and never saw him again in that time. Powerful as Nenelar is, soloing the Cyclops placeholder for most of that time, I left exhausted and empty-handed.

The next weekend I camped the Arch Ghoul Magi for 20 straight hours. In that time the Magi appeared 8 times, dropping the Shining Metallic Robe twice. I was number 6 on the original loot order. Two ahead of me got their robes while the others gave up early. I camped at the top of the order for 12 hours only seeing the Magi only twice. On both occasions he had only silversilk leggings…not the robe.
https://web.archive.org/web/20001010..._after_50.html
Closed Thread