Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 01:44 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hmm, anyone testing Saga of Lucimia? is this positive incline or kidney stabber decline?
We've been in closed alpha with our early access community since April of 2019, so we haven't shown anything to the public for the past year. We've been hunkered down making sure our investors are getting their money's worth.

In April, we're going live with a series of streams via approved content creators who are part of our new affiliate program, so those of you who have been waiting to see what we've been working on for the past year will be able to get a glimpse via those streams/channels.

Q&A sessions will be kicking off in March with some screenshot teases, and then approved streamers will be live-streaming our game via guided sessions starting in April (which is when Stage Three of our alpha kicks off), which is also when we will be re-opening the pre-order store for the next round of testers to join us.

Stage Three is still closed alpha with NDAs, but for those who want to wait and see, you'll be able to watch via the aforementioned content creators and follow along with development.

Website is also under revamp presently, and should be live around March/April, so we have a lot of things going on [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

We also have a launch window officially confirmed now; more info can be found over on the website.

Edited to add: Renfail = Tim Anderson, creative director of the Saga of Lucimia, and CEO of Stormhaven Studios. I realized I didn't have a signature here despite having been a part of the community for the past four or five years with our gaming community off and on.
Last edited by Renfail; 01-13-2020 at 01:47 PM..
Old 01-13-2020, 02:52 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hmm, anyone testing Saga of Lucimia? is this positive incline or kidney stabber decline?
I’ve watched a number of gameplay videos of it, and I think it looks really promising. My only complaint is a small one: the music. It seems to be this sort of 16-bit accordion with the same song perpetually on loop, whether in combat or not. I think if there were a montage of me slowly going insane, with laughing faces overlaid onto images of my body spiraling down a dark hole, it would be this music reaching a loud crescendo in the background.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:15 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellybuttface [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I’ve watched a number of gameplay videos of it, and I think it looks really promising. My only complaint is a small one: the music. It seems to be this sort of 16-bit accordion with the same song perpetually on loop, whether in combat or not. I think if there were a montage of me slowly going insane, with laughing faces overlaid onto images of my body spiraling down a dark hole, it would be this music reaching a loud crescendo in the background.
What you were listening to in any of our pre-alpha videos was very rough music put together for the sake of just having something.

We've had James Stratton-Crawley working with us for the past year and a half and I don't think we've revealed any of his music to the public yet, other than a teaser, so there's a lot that folks haven't heard.

You'll be hearing his new music in our upcoming streams in April, so stay tuned!
Old 01-13-2020, 08:37 PM
Planar Protector

Will check this out in the near future.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 01-14-2020, 12:16 AM
Sarnak

Am I the only one that wanted to hate on Saga of Lucimia for no good reason, went to look at some screenshots and gameplay footage so I'd know what I was talking about, and then sort of liked what I saw enough to completely change my mind and now find myself interested in following that project?

Hopefully not. Kinda like what you guys are doing. Looking forward to hearing more.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:39 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawqueue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Am I the only one that wanted to hate on Saga of Lucimia for no good reason, went to look at some screenshots and gameplay footage so I'd know what I was talking about, and then sort of liked what I saw enough to completely change my mind and now find myself interested in following that project?

Hopefully not. Kinda like what you guys are doing. Looking forward to hearing more.
Cheers.

It's a slow, grassroots project, and we don't have any celebrity attached to the project, but we've made steady progress over the past six years, and we're a couple years from launch now.

We still have a lot of polish to add over the rest of alpha and beta, but we're getting there [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Glad you liked what you saw!

There's a lot of visual change in between the last things we showed publicly (beginning of 2019) and what we're revealing in April of this year. New UI, more/better VFX, and a lot of new art/assets to show off [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Renfail; 01-14-2020 at 12:55 AM..
Old 01-15-2020, 09:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiingpin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
so sick of the years away from launch on all these games and nothing has come out for what 10 years?

we have more money and computing power then ever yet games come out even slower

get funding, hire more indian kids and get to work. if it takes longer then a year to release you are trying to do too much content, get your project out there and start earning money
It's a variant or consequence of "Wirth's Law" in practice. As technology progresses, games (and all sorts of software more generally) are becoming more and more complicated at a rate faster than development tools are improving. Hence development cycles take longer and longer. This reality has undoubtedly harmed the MMORPG genre specifically since such games have become too expensive to build quickly and expect a reasonable return, and too slow to build cheaply for most investors to tolerate. Concepts like Unity were intended to help solve these problems but haven't yet made more than a modest dent.

Danth
Old 01-15-2020, 02:43 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's a variant or consequence of "Wirth's Law" in practice. As technology progresses, games (and all sorts of software more generally) are becoming more and more complicated at a rate faster than development tools are improving. Hence development cycles take longer and longer. This reality has undoubtedly harmed the MMORPG genre specifically since such games have become too expensive to build quickly and expect a reasonable return, and too slow to build cheaply for most investors to tolerate. Concepts like Unity were intended to help solve these problems but haven't yet made more than a modest dent.

Danth
While that may factor in, there's a lot more at work.

First and foremost, in the "traditional" development cycle from an established company with an existing budget, a company wouldn't release information about their game until it was at the most, two years out from launch. They would already have a fairly solid product by that point, with enough polish on it to be ready to start teasing to the public what was coming out in the relatively near future.

In the above scenario, the illusion is that games only take a "few years" to develop, because players were never privy to the four-to-six years of development time that took place prior to the publicity, and thus players never felt like it was taking "ages and ages" for a game on their radar to reach completion.

Enter crowdfunding and the way a lot of indie teams are doing things these days, ourselves included. In order to generate interest from investors or publishers, you must first generate interest from players and prove the value of your idea. In order to do that, you need to showcase your idea or, better yet, some form of a playable tech demo. You come up with your pitch, launch your demo, get some followers and/or Kickstarter money, and from there you head to investors/publishers.

The proof, as they say, is in the pudding.

Pushing projects into the public eye at such an early stage is something that had, up until the last half dozen years or so, never been done before. No one has ever seen pre-alphas; traditionally those were always done internally, and the product never shown to the public until it was ready for beta. At the very least, only select testers would get involved during an alpha, and most alphas don't start until at least two to three years of work has already been done on a pre-alpha product.

A traditional MMORPG follows a development cycle that is somewhat like: one year of armchair design/creating the master design document; two to three years of programming and pre-alpha; two to four years of alpha; around a year of beta, half of which is public.

On the short end, you're looking at a six year development cycle. On the longer end, anywhere from eight to nine years.

Up until this past decade, players had never been privy to the massive chunk of time most companies put into games before sharing them with the public. Once indie companies starting sharing things right out of the gate as soon as there was a master document and/or the tech demo ready to go, suddenly players were exposed to anywhere from four to six years of development time that they had previously never seen before.

"This game looks like shit", people will say of any indie game that is showing footage from pre-alpha or alpha. Of course it does. You've never seen games in this early stage of development before.

It's like looking at a house being built and only seeing the foundation and the framing and claiming "this house looks like shit". Of course it does. It's not finished. It hasn't had drywall hung, flooring installed, siding, roofing, paint, interior decoration, and beyond. Only when the house is finished can you make a judgement call on whether or not it is a "beautiful" home.

"It's taking forever", they say. Not really. It's taking the same time it's always taken. You just never saw the ingredients being mixed together before they were baked into the cake that then had icing put on it while you watched and salivated in anticipation.

Development cycles aren't any longer today on MMORPGs than they were a decade ago. In fact, the tools have gotten better and better and easier to use, networking solutions exist today that weren't even imagined back in 1999, and teams like ours with ZERO previous experience have been able to make a big enough impression to land investors + publisher interest (not that we've accepted any of the offers since everyone to-dated has wanted us to go free to play with a cash shop and we're hardwired for buy-to-play with a monthly sub; I've turned down between 2 and 4 million dollar offers from publishers like Gamigo, Jagex, and Perfect World Entertanment starting back in 2017).

So it's a little bit of everything.

For us, personally, we'll be seven-to-eight year bracket if we hit all of our targets on the head. Right on the money in terms of how long a traditional MMORPG takes to get built.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:03 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiingpin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didnt read your post but if your game takes years it will be pointless and youll make nothing.

Right now is a good opportunity to release something and have it be very successful and profitable, the only current "Hot" Game is classic wow and its literally re released content, they pulled in 8-9m subs and i bet you dont even have 10k in the bank due to your dirt poor thinking process
You sound like a level-headed, reasonable, intelligent economist. Certainly knows what he’s talking about, and understands the intricacies of developing and releasing intellectual property.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfail [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Development cycles aren't any longer today on MMORPGs than they were a decade ago.
Right. I was thinking longer term. The progression of technology has been pronounced. Atari games took one guy a few weeks to make. Nintendo games, a small team maybe a couple months. Early MMORPG's like EQ (~3 years start to finish) and DAOC (~2 years) were slow even for standards of their era, but still manageable. Warcraft took what, ~4 years and 70-80 million dollars? It was very slow and hugely expensive for its era, but as it turned out it was merely highlighting the new normal. Vanguard took ~4.5 years and came out prematurely, to its doom. As you mention, since about that time things have stabilized somewhat, probably because pressure (time, funding, etc) won't really permit development cycles to keep growing forever--there's a practical limit that we've probably reached.

I had read about Lucimia years ago but quite forgot about it. Thanks for posting, I'll keep an eye on your progress. The wife and I have been looking for interesting traditional-style online role playing games for awhile now.

As an aside, I *have* seen "Alpha" Everquest. It looked bad, really really bad. You aren't kidding about the risks involved with releasing alpha footage. I understand the nature of such things but a lot of folks don't.

Danth
Closed Thread