Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Do you think Luclin models should be an option for Project 1999?
I do not want Luclin models 554 66.75%
I want Luclin models. 276 33.25%
Voters: 830. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Sarnak

i never liked luclin models how they run is just horrible looking
Old 08-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by insertname [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have been thinking about my tine in EQ, and though I can see the benefits of the classic models ( love the Barb bear helm ) I also see the why luclin models are attractive to some folks. The armor on some models is better, like my oger how ever the luclin oger modle runs like he has to take a dump and is SQUEEEEZING his cheecks to make to ferrot in time.
How others see my character is semi important however Im the one looking at it most of the time so thats what I care about.. what I see.

As for p99 going beyond velious to luclin, I would consider Luclin almost, kind of sorta classic. Its like the "black" album kind of classic, but the writing is on the wall.
pros: AA (flame away if you wish, working aa on a endgame character IMO is fun, so bite me)
Vahshire...... me-wow
BEAST LORDS!!!
new spells / gear
now POP(or poop as I call it) took the epic feel of EQ and drained like for the instant gratification of transport.... Luclin can do this too via the nexus, which is iffy ( personally I don't like it ) how ever the pros out weigh the cons, but that's just my opinion.

Any thing pop or after bleh, luclin is iffy however I think it could be fun, but what ever is best for the server and the community. I loved my BL, and Luclin was fun over all. You had timers for the nexus almost as long as boats. I hope someday at least AA are in ( and with fingures crossed.. FAIRY GOD PARRENTS!!!!!... I mean BEAST LORDS!!
side note: http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ghlight=luclin I would use these luclin or not
Old 08-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Large Rat

Default The question is what is Classic...

Something Everyone seems to forget... Or perhaps just never knew, is that the original developers of EQ were rushed into alpha by Sony who wanted to see a return on their investment asap. At the time gaming engines capable of supporting an mmo didn't exist so once it was up... it was sadly limited.

And so the work on the engine was ongoing and continuous. As the engine progressed (as did video cards and processors) the game content was upgraded as well and the intended vision of the game began to take shape.

Some things were things that were intended all along (like spell descriptions) and were in fact packed and shipped in their near complete state to be implemented with an update later that year but were put off at the intense wildfires of in game technical bugs resulting from essentially being forced to release before the game was ready to be played.

With each expansion the the game was able to take on a little more of the designers true vision becoming the classic it was always meant to be. ending with Luclin... Troubled child of a failing marriage between the vision of the original creators of Everquest and the corporate greed of Sony trying to market to a younger and younger group of players who had no more skill than required to "run and gun" in first person shooters and demanded that everything be "fair" resulting in the continued "balancing" of the classes until no in game cooperation was needed at all.

OMG I just realized I'm ranting a little... Sorry

To Luclin or not to Luclin? I don't care... The re-texturing is essential and personally I like the detailed customization of the models. I do feel they were always intended by the original designers (just look at the accompanying art work and that becomes obvious) and that the tech just needed to catch up so the characters could be brought to life.

As for the other things...

I REALLY REALLY REALLY think spell descriptions need to be brought back... At the very least this is Kunark.... and descriptions were there at it's release... And I've got the disk (singular) to prove it.

But the masses set fourth a resounding "NO", and in the name of what "Authenticity" well damn... We better recreate all the pathing errors all the broken spells and bugged gear that goes along with the half finished game that Sony rushed to market with it's pants around it's ankles. And lets not forget to recreate the Game crashing for 60% of the people playing it EVERY time they cross a zone line. Oh Oh Oh yeah and make sure that when they crash or go link dead their character stays in game getting pummeled for a full 5 minutes before it leaves the world and they can log back in.

Which also means that neat trick of all your abilities spamming at random when you go linkdead in a fight better get coded out of the game too. You're going to have to just stand there like an idiot and just get pummeled...

I hope you don't think too badly of me. I'm really a nice guy. But don't confuse "Classic" with "Tradition". The game was not finished when it was released and the Origional Developers continued trying to finish it right up until they quit and went on to write EQII, right afterthe release of Luclin.

I may not post often... But when I do it's a doosy...

BaobobMiller
Old 08-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Sarnak

Release VP and then work on luclin models, omg.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Banned

release epics/hole then VP
Old 08-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaobobMiller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Something Everyone seems to forget... Or perhaps just never knew, is that the original developers of EQ were rushed into alpha by Sony who wanted to see a return on their investment asap. At the time gaming engines capable of supporting an mmo didn't exist so once it was up... it was sadly limited.
They also didn't know the game would be successful. Did you ever stop to think if all these opinionated improvements were initially present would the game have ended up as classically successful as it was? We will never know, but what I can say is there is a strong desire for classic gameplay. (People flocked to this server for classic, not for non-classic, which already existed)

Quote:
And so the work on the engine was ongoing and continuous. As the engine progressed (as did video cards and processors) the game content was upgraded as well and the intended vision of the game began to take shape.
Intended vision? I highly doubt some of those original D&D guys had the intended vision of fucking horrible looking Luclin models. I could be wrong, but I hope I'm not!

Quote:
With each expansion the the game was able to take on a little more of the designers true vision becoming the classic it was always meant to be. ending with Luclin... Troubled child of a failing marriage between the vision of the original creators of Everquest and the corporate greed of Sony trying to market to a younger and younger group of players who had no more skill than required to "run and gun" in first person shooters and demanded that everything be "fair" resulting in the continued "balancing" of the classes until no in game cooperation was needed at all.
Are you one of these designers or is this all opinion based?

Quote:
OMG I just realized I'm ranting a little... Sorry
np i rant all the time in favor of classic.

Quote:
To Luclin or not to Luclin? I don't care... The re-texturing is essential and personally I like the detailed customization of the models. I do feel they were always intended by the original designers (just look at the accompanying art work and that becomes obvious) and that the tech just needed to catch up so the characters could be brought to life.
I like good-looking artwork and modeling as well. I believe Luclin models look awful. How would it be essential if I continued to play into OOW with the Luclin models turned off? I used an amulet of necropotence for the sole purpose of riding my horse as a skeleton without having to turn on the fucking ugly graphics. (Unfortunately I couldn't disable the skeleton models at that time, however, it did allow me to ride the horse)

Quote:
But the masses set fourth a resounding "NO", and in the name of what "Authenticity" well damn... We better recreate all the pathing errors all the broken spells and bugged gear that goes along with the half finished game that Sony rushed to market with it's pants around it's ankles. And lets not forget to recreate the Game crashing for 60% of the people playing it EVERY time they cross a zone line. Oh Oh Oh yeah and make sure that when they crash or go link dead their character stays in game getting pummeled for a full 5 minutes before it leaves the world and they can log back in.
Seems short-sighted. Like.. you chose aspects that would be difficult to replicate and presented them to fuel your argument for Luclin models. Sounds cool though. I have stated before, if I could flip a switch and revert the game completely and immediately to 100% classic, I would do so in a heartbeat.

Quote:
I hope you don't think too badly of me. I'm really a nice guy.
It's all <3.

Quote:
But don't confuse "Classic" with "Tradition". The game was not finished when it was released and the Origional Developers continued trying to finish it right up until they quit and went on to write EQII, right afterthe release of Luclin.
That's when everyone fucking stopped playing lol. They should have, imo, thought about what exactly brought their unintended success. It wasn't the models.. it wasn't the spell graphics, or any of that other stuff. It was the game itself.
Last edited by nilbog; 08-16-2011 at 05:19 PM..
Old 08-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Kobold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8hka0XK-O4
Old 08-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to deakolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by insertname [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have been thinking about my tine in EQ, and though I can see the benefits of the classic models ( love the Barb bear helm ) I also see the why luclin models are attractive to some folks. The armor on some models is better, like my oger how ever the luclin oger modle runs like he has to take a dump and is SQUEEEEZING his cheecks to make to ferrot in time.
How others see my character is semi important however Im the one looking at it most of the time so thats what I care about.. what I see.

As for p99 going beyond velious to luclin, I would consider Luclin almost, kind of sorta classic. Its like the "black" album kind of classic, but the writing is on the wall.
pros: AA (flame away if you wish, working aa on a endgame character IMO is fun, so bite me)
Vahshire...... me-wow
BEAST LORDS!!!
new spells / gear
now POP(or poop as I call it) took the epic feel of EQ and drained like for the instant gratification of transport.... Luclin can do this too via the nexus, which is iffy ( personally I don't like it ) how ever the pros out weigh the cons, but that's just my opinion.

Any thing pop or after bleh, luclin is iffy however I think it could be fun, but what ever is best for the server and the community. I loved my BL, and Luclin was fun over all. You had timers for the nexus almost as long as boats. I hope someday at least AA are in ( and with fingures crossed.. FAIRY GOD PARRENTS!!!!!... I mean BEAST LORDS!!
haha dude hahaha yew awesome

Bulltrue
Deakolt
Old 08-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Sarnak

Old models 100% better! I love the fat trolls and ogres. They are actually my favorites. To each their own.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Planar Protector

I don't understand why anyone would not want the models to be available. I personally wouldn't use them but it doesn't effect your game play one bit if other people use them so why would you actually care? Its just weird to me that people care what others are seeing on their screen if it doesn't effect them at all, whats the reasoning behind this? Its like, i like this, so everyone else should have to use it even if i can't tell if they are are not and it doesn't change my gameplay at all. Seems kinda selfish and stupid to me, but whatever.
[XX Rogue] Hailto (Half-Elf)
Red:
[21 Wizard] Hailto (Dark-Elf)
Closed Thread