Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 11-17-2017, 09:56 AM
Planar Protector

Default Attn Mods: Thread title change please

Also, can a mod please change the thread title from '4200' to '4126'? Thank you much.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:07 AM
Planar Protector

Don't let these nerds get to you Rygar.

People aren't simply hitting this Mana cap with HoT armor. My Druid has things like KT Boots/Belt, AoW Ring, HoT BP/Wrists, PoG/PoH2 Legs/Arms, Phara Dar Earring, Sanctum Earring, Epic, Falinkan, Hiero cloak etc. I am still 100 Mana away from hitting the cap. If I were to replace my Kunark/Velious raid gear with the best groupable alternatives you're looking at 400 Mana away and on top of that is the unclassic 275 Mana from 201-225 WIS Calculation.

The only people who will hit this cap are extremely hardcore raiders who have VP, NToV, Kael and City leader raid loot. More than half their slots filled with it. It's not your regular HoT geared caster that's going to be running into the cap. Especially if they can get the 201-255 scaling to work properly.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:30 AM
Planar Protector

Whatever the case may be, I think it will be interesting to see what drops that were previously considered 'alt fodder' become part of a caster's BiS build. I know there are sometimes items that people would like but 'ugh, only +50 mana', but now become a hot ticket. Maybe you don't need that Vulak piece to get maxed out.

Maybe smart raiders will read the writing on the wall and get some cheap grabs, or realize they can hit cap with sticking to things like HoT robe / BP or bid on some +100 HP items for some slots.

The best part is it would open up FashionQuest to people, of course.
Last edited by Rygar; 11-17-2017 at 10:33 AM..
Old 11-17-2017, 10:49 AM
Sarnak

Your evidence link in OP seems to no longer work. I would be very inclined to believe that there is a worn mana cap (as there are worn ac soft/hardcaps) if a dev actually indicated a number.

Unfortunately, based on the quotes you provided the Dev team does not seem to indicate what the numerical value is and you quote some rando who may have no idea how eq works throwing numbers from apparently nowhere.

Would love to see original documentation for context and clarification.

P.S. If you are getting upset about people saying "imaginary" or "pointless". Grow up and learn how to defend your position without crying about the opposition.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, can a mod please change the thread title from '4200' to '4126'? Thank you much.
Now you are going for clickbait lol

4126 mana is not an exact number that can be proven as the classic cap ( if it existed). Your evidence features a very casual in passing conversations on the internet and while I realize you cant 'prove' this with classic screenshots as mana wasn't displayed, you probably should search for additional commentary about the cap from OTHER sources besides this lone conversation.

Your evidence is lacking and the only thing here that everyone seems to agree on is that mana calculations are not correct here with respect to intelligence and wisdom above 201 all the way up to 255. The diminishing returns are not functioning as they should.

That is your crusade you should work on, your cap is about as imaginary as the raid boss in Lake Rathtear. I surely could find some textual quotations describing the monster - does that mean it existed in the actual game?
Old 11-17-2017, 11:00 AM
Planar Protector

As i mentioned in the OP the newsgroups direct links seem finicky, you can go to http://groups.google.com/group/alt.g...topics?lnk=srg and search "/wave mana cap" and read the full thread, is more than just that snippet in there.

I'll try linking it again here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...ames.everquest

I find newsgroups links are best used in a computer browser (I use Chrome) and not on a mobile device.

Also if you search like 4 posts down on the front page I posted the original dev comments, here is that link again:
http://rift.zam.com/story.html?story=1083

I'm not click baiting at all, just going off what I'm seeing. I'm also not being childish in defending 'imaginary numbers', I'm being quite logical.
Last edited by Rygar; 11-17-2017 at 11:03 AM..
Old 11-17-2017, 11:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also if you search like 4 posts down on the front page I posted the original dev comments, here is that link again:

I'm not click baiting at all, just going off what I'm seeing. I'm also not being childish in defending 'imaginary numbers', I'm being quite logical.
Here is a quote from your link that I feel applies to this thread.

These kinds of caps aren't intended to cause you distress, and in many ways they can help support a well balanced game system. While we have an appreciation for the benefits that stat caps can bring to a system, we're also willing to look at things like this with an objective eye. The mana cap on worn items has been in since release, and hasn't come up before as an issue that players felt overly limited by. With all the attention focused on the cap in recent days, the dev team looked it over and we agree - there's no reason to place an artificial cap on mana enhancing items. On test server now, we've changed the rule so that players get full value from all mana increasing worn items. We expect this will go live with the next patch. Thanks for bringing your concerns to our attention, ____________________________ Rich Waters Lead Designer, EverQuest Sony Online Entertainment

The lead designer said he doesnt want to cause 'distress' and feels its pointless to put an arbitrary cap on mana now that players are getting close to it with each expansion. They are even talking about increasing it so players never feel the cap.

Sounds like everything on p99 is fine then if thats how the original Devs wanted it....case closed.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erati [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here is a quote from your link that I feel applies to this thread.

These kinds of caps aren't intended to cause you distress, and in many ways they can help support a well balanced game system. While we have an appreciation for the benefits that stat caps can bring to a system, we're also willing to look at things like this with an objective eye. The mana cap on worn items has been in since release, and hasn't come up before as an issue that players felt overly limited by. With all the attention focused on the cap in recent days, the dev team looked it over and we agree - there's no reason to place an artificial cap on mana enhancing items. On test server now, we've changed the rule so that players get full value from all mana increasing worn items. We expect this will go live with the next patch. Thanks for bringing your concerns to our attention, ____________________________ Rich Waters Lead Designer, EverQuest Sony Online Entertainment

The lead designer said he doesnt want to cause 'distress' and feels its pointless to put an arbitrary cap on mana now that players are getting close to it with each expansion. They are even talking about increasing it so players never feel the cap.

Sounds like everything on p99 is fine then if thats how the original Devs wanted it....case closed.
So you are fine with nerfing Soulfires and Reapers and Wort Pots cause that is how the devs wanted it even though fixes came out of era? Your troll is strong.

I'm sure there were limitations on 255 caps they didn't really want or limited by only doing +100 (or +127 later on) stat caps on items due to database / programming limitations that were grandfathered in. There were probably a ton of things they saw no real reason to force but were limited to a certain type of 1999-2001 connection speeds, server limitations, programming messes, etc.

In the end it is up to the P99 dev team to decide what they want to implement, I have posted the evidence that this existed in era.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:16 AM
Sarnak

Thanks for the updated links. The updated context reaffirms that this 4200 number is based on full on rando's which is not a very responsible source of information. In order to justify this, we simply need better evidence.

To be clear: Your evidence that there is a worn mana cap is fine. However the evidence of a "4200ish" mana cap is extremely lacking. Perhaps find better info for this?
Old 11-17-2017, 11:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
So you are fine with nerfing Soulfires and Reapers and Wort Pots cause that is how the devs wanted it even though fixes came out of era? Your troll is strong.
What does Soulfire and Reaper have to do with this thread? I just hilighted a quote from your evidence showing that even the Lead Devs back in the day felt this kind of cap wasnt needed in the game as players got close to it.

I too am just putting the evidence here for the devs to look over, didnt want them to not notice that comment.