Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: What do you think will happen?
The USA will buy the UK to make them great again 14 14.74%
The monarchy will collapse, England to become Venezuela 2.0 10 10.53%
UK to sink in total recession, AM/Riot to rejoice about this new stream of jobless apps 24 25.26%
The UK will do just fine, will claim back USA, India, Australia and all other ex colonies 17 17.89%
The EU will make Boris Johnson fuck a pig live on TV, or they kill Harry 18 18.95%
Bush // towers 35 36.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 09-18-2019, 08:17 PM
Teppler Teppler is offline
Planar Protector


Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriam1066 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because David Cameron never imagined Britain had as many brain dead opioid addict rednecks as America. He was wrong
So you are saying, yes, the vote was offered in bad faith.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 09-18-2019, 08:31 PM
Wonkie Wonkie is offline
Planar Protector

Wonkie's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 5,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So you are saying, yes, the vote was offered in bad faith.
You gotta let the child touch the stove themselves if you want to lesson to stick
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie View Post
What's your position on Bigfoot?
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 09-18-2019, 08:37 PM
Teppler Teppler is offline
Planar Protector


Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,425
Default

Yeah they are really letting the consequences of voting Brexit burn.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 09-19-2019, 03:19 AM
Thrombosis Thrombosis is online now
Kobold


Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: England
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This begs the question, why was this even allowed to be a vote in the first place? If the elites behind the UK have no intention of following through on what was voted, as they are clearly showing, what was even the purpose of having a vote? The illusion of democracy?
Prime Minister David Cameron promised a referendum on the EU in the 2015 general election campaign, he didn't think he'd win - he thought he'd end up with another Con-LibDem coalition and so could get rid of the referendum commitment during the coalition negoatiations. As it happened, he did win an outright majority and so it would have been difficult for him to back out of that promise.

Also, referendums are quite rare in UK politics, but since 2010 Cameron had given us two; on changing the voting system to AV and on Scottish independence. Cameron won them both, so probably thought that he could win the third one and secure his legacy as the PM who put the European issue to bed once and for all.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 09-19-2019, 04:36 AM
Jimjam Jimjam is offline
Planar Protector


Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This begs the question, why was this even allowed to be a vote in the first place? If the elites behind the UK have no intention of following through on what was voted, as they are clearly showing, what was even the purpose of having a vote? The illusion of democracy?
Point of contention, i think it is the elite that wants Brexit; they are desparate to leave the EU before 31 December before new tax laws come in that will prevent opaque channeling asset management through foreign lands like the caiman islands. They want to dodge a tax clampdown that will cost them many billions.

The next problem is an existing (Good Friday) agreement between two EU members -Republic of Ireland and Great Britain - prevents a clean brexit; The UK and RoI have agreed there will always be a frictionless border between Ireland (RoI) and Northern Ireland (UK). The problem is when UK Brexits there will have to be a border between EU and UK, ie between ROI and UK, in violation of the Good Friday Agreement. Until this conflict is resolved i don't think there can even be a legal brexit. Hence the 'backstop' negotiations.

Thirdly, under the referendum all leavers campaigned under the idea of having deals with the EU similar to Canada, Norway, Switzerland etc. everyone campaigning insisted we would leave with a good deal and not no deal. The official line of Labour (leader of the opposition to the government) insist on leaving with a deal... The problem is they won't accept the deal that was negotiated.

So yes, the referendum was given for the choice of denocracy, the result got hijacked by tax avoiding aristrocrats, no deal is going to renege an agreement that previously ended a huge amount of fratricide in ireland (and terroism in the uk) and those politicians who want a 'best deal for the country' deal can't agree on the details.

What we need is a referendum 'the negotiated deal as it stands', 'maintain status quo' or 'no deal' (9/11 option).
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 09-19-2019, 06:52 AM
Teppler Teppler is offline
Planar Protector


Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,425
Default

If the elites in UK want brexit and the people voted for it, who do you perceive is stopping it from happening? Sounds like youíre in a spin tbqh. The idea of having more votes that ultimately undo brexot looks like an absolute disaster from a foreign POV, like you guys are running a complete and utter clown show of a democracy. UK politicians simply have to get brexit through or their democracy is fraudulent. The people have to have faith in the government and if votes donít mean anything anymore, the social compact is shown to be breaking down.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 09-19-2019, 06:56 AM
Teppler Teppler is offline
Planar Protector


Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,425
Default

Breaking an “insistence” isn’t a valid excuse to completely and utterly destroy the idea of your democracy either. That’s ludicrous.

A flaky insistence that never was a guarantee vs hundreds of years of a compact agreement between people/government institution built up

Which is stronger and should be protected?
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 09-19-2019, 07:02 AM
Thrombosis Thrombosis is online now
Kobold


Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: England
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What we need is a referendum 'the negotiated deal as it stands', 'maintain status quo' or 'no deal' (9/11 option).
Maintaining the status quo (aka the remain option rejected by the voters in the last referendum) is not an option. Even the EU is now admitting that Brexiteers were right all along and they're planning further and further integration towards the EU empire. Make no mistake, there will be an EU Army, Turkey will join the EU, and the EU will privatise the NHS.

Also - three way referendums aren't a good way of resolving things unless you use the AV system, which we're not used to in the UK.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 09-19-2019, 07:36 AM
Teppler Teppler is offline
Planar Protector


Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

So yes, the referendum was given for the choice of denocracy, the result got hijacked by tax avoiding aristrocrats,
It just makes me very angry to see this line of logic because i know exactly where it comes from. Elite's are angry that the common people hijacked the government and voted to take it in a direction that they don't want.

You most likely have a very small group of aristocrats that benefit from Brexit vs the much larger group of UK elites that are weaponizing a propaganda campaign against Brexit now.

Really when it comes to any vote and any outcome, anyone can make the argument "the aristocrats hijacked". That line is meaningless and it makes me angry to hear it. In fact, just hearing someone weaponize it makes me believe the exact opposite is true.

I promise you, there's much more room for elite cronyism within the EU than outside. The EU is the giant club of elites that are fucking their countries for a little more wealth.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 09-19-2019, 08:18 AM
Patriam1066 Patriam1066 is offline
Planar Protector

Patriam1066's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Point of contention, i think it is the elite that wants Brexit; they are desparate to leave the EU before 31 December before new tax laws come in that will prevent opaque channeling asset management through foreign lands like the caiman islands. They want to dodge a tax clampdown that will cost them many billions.

The next problem is an existing (Good Friday) agreement between two EU members -Republic of Ireland and Great Britain - prevents a clean brexit; The UK and RoI have agreed there will always be a frictionless border between Ireland (RoI) and Northern Ireland (UK). The problem is when UK Brexits there will have to be a border between EU and UK, ie between ROI and UK, in violation of the Good Friday Agreement. Until this conflict is resolved i don't think there can even be a legal brexit. Hence the 'backstop' negotiations.

Thirdly, under the referendum all leavers campaigned under the idea of having deals with the EU similar to Canada, Norway, Switzerland etc. everyone campaigning insisted we would leave with a good deal and not no deal. The official line of Labour (leader of the opposition to the government) insist on leaving with a deal... The problem is they won't accept the deal that was negotiated.

So yes, the referendum was given for the choice of denocracy, the result got hijacked by tax avoiding aristrocrats, no deal is going to renege an agreement that previously ended a huge amount of fratricide in ireland (and terroism in the uk) and those politicians who want a 'best deal for the country' deal can't agree on the details.

What we need is a referendum 'the negotiated deal as it stands', 'maintain status quo' or 'no deal' (9/11 option).
Drone the Papists. Orange order 4lyfe
__________________
God Bless Texas
Free Iran
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 PM.


Everquest is a registered trademark of Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Project 1999 is not associated or affiliated in any way with Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.