Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 03:08 AM
Aviak

Default Bard unbuffed speed.

Got a quick question.

I made a bard a couple of weeks back and i`m playing him casually.

I`m at level 19 and trying to swarm kite about 10 - 15 mobs in OT.

For some reason i remember on live that i used to be able to click off all speed modifiers (sow, jboots, selos) and use strafe to keep just ahead of the mobs and then circle them while dot`ing.

The strafe ferature doesn`t seem to be working for me as the mobs are able to catch me up every time. I`m pretty sure i`m set up correctly, i just seem to be lacking a tiny little bit extra speed?.

Any ideas ?
Old 03-30-2017, 04:10 AM
Planar Protector

Make sure you're not overweight..

Strafe-running will outrun almost all mobs in game until the highest levels.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:35 AM
Planar Protector

I imagine OP is strafing directly sideways, not running forward at all (meaning he went into options and set a strafe key). Kiting like that worked for me at one time, but that was long ago. Speeds may have been adjusted.

Also...I believe Selo's/SoW/JBoots does not increase sideways movement speed. Only forward speed.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:51 AM
Sarnak

Not all mobs are equally fast. Some mobs will outrun straferunning without sow(/selos/jboots). I think this is the case with several mob types in OT (rhinos most notably?), but I'm unsure about the specifics.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:20 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Make sure you're not overweight.
Let's keep the RL insults to RnF. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-30-2017, 07:38 AM
Sarnak

You want t be holding your run forward and strafe left or right key at the same time. Then slighting doing small turns at the same time to make circles while maintaining the 45 degree run. Keeps you inbetween the mobs hit boxes but in aoe range.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:54 AM
Fire Giant

Pathing isn't the same as on live. Mobs here stutter as they path from node to node, and have further melee hit reach than classic. Unbuffed strafe running typically won't save you from most NPCs.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:09 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveitup1216 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unbuffed strafe running typically won't save you from most NPCs.
I know it'll save you against a sand giant! #TrueStory
Old 03-30-2017, 12:38 PM
Aviak

I set up "strage right" on my E key and my forward key is W.

I hold them both together and seem to strafe ok. As i`m starfing however, the mobs get closer and closer and then tag.

I`m not overweight or encumbered.

It`s all mobs on OT that are able to catch me, not just the Rhinos which seem to have a slightly faster run speed than the others.

Thanks for replies.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:41 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I set up "strage right" on my E key and my forward key is W.

I hold them both together and seem to strafe ok. As i`m starfing however, the mobs get closer and closer and then tag.

I`m not overweight or encumbered.

It`s all mobs on OT that are able to catch me, not just the Rhinos which seem to have a slightly faster run speed than the others.

Thanks for replies.
When you are strafing with your two buttons try pressing enter twice and let go. This will allow you to auto strafe run so all you have to do is adjust your angle with right click. It's also useful because this allowes you to instrument swap. You just can't type to anyone during a kite or it will wreck the auto run.
Closed Thread