Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 05:09 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rangers have the advantage of root and snare so can pull several mobs to group with staggered arrival times. You can also root a mob on a pathing node to ‘recruit’ more pulls to the group. Getting clean singles is a great strategy but sometimes that is overkill.
Exactly! This, combined with tracking and bind sight makes rangers really really good pullers outdoors.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:46 PM
Fire Giant

Rangers are really great, if they are played well. Most classes are, really. But I've grouped with some great rangers on green who can pull 3-5 mobs and we only get 1-2 at a time
Old 07-07-2020, 03:50 PM
Planar Protector

Bards Monks and SKs all have their bright spots and dark spots. Bards can harmony and mez which is fantastic, SKs can snare then FD for some cool tricky pulls (and can take hits better), and monks have a more reliable FD but struggle sometimes with mobs pathing back in shitty ways. But the truth is in 90% of the groups you are in if you are playing any of these classes is youre going to be pulling, so play whatever tickles your fancy. I love monks but they have like literally 2 buttons to press.

Rangers in Kunark are going to feel the burn of social shunning possible the hardest - I suggest you stay away
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Last edited by Bardp1999; 07-07-2020 at 03:53 PM..
Old 07-07-2020, 04:17 PM
Fire Giant

Thanks for the replies everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bards Monks and SKs all have their bright spots and dark spots. Bards can harmony and mez which is fantastic, SKs can snare then FD for some cool tricky pulls (and can take hits better), and monks have a more reliable FD but struggle sometimes with mobs pathing back in shitty ways. But the truth is in 90% of the groups you are in if you are playing any of these classes is youre going to be pulling, so play whatever tickles your fancy. I love monks but they have like literally 2 buttons to press.
Does this only apply to grouping or high end raiding as well? I am curious how SKs do in Kunark pre Death Peace. Like can an SK pull in VP? Seb? Chardok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rangers in Kunark are going to feel the burn of social shunning possible the hardest - I suggest you stay away
I'd imagine they can help on tracking and FTEing the outdoor dragons? Though bards may be better here.

But yea, I'm maining ranger now and loving pulling the planes, but the plan was always to mulligan to something else when Kunark hits. Managed to get a Warrior almost 50, but find sitting in camp extremely boring, so am looking at my options.
Last edited by Keebz; 07-07-2020 at 04:19 PM..
Old 07-07-2020, 09:16 PM
Planar Protector

The list of optimum classes to be pulling will change depending on the encounter and what you are trying to do. What surprises me here is no one has mentioned necro who is arguably the best, most versatile And well-rounded puller in EQ.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:03 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallicker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The list of optimum classes to be pulling will change depending on the encounter and what you are trying to do. What surprises me here is no one has mentioned necro who is arguably the best, most versatile And well-rounded puller in EQ.
An interesting point! Snare + FD, root + FD, screaming terror + FD. Root, snare.

Any other tricks up their sleeves? Always looking for new stuff to do with my necro!
Old 07-08-2020, 09:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Your guild will use and abuse you to track/pull hunter/forager, and then when you are LFG in Sebilis .... crickets.

Classic is all about getting to level 50 on your ranger main and then PLing your guildmates' alts so you can guilt them into inviting you into XP groups for 51-60 in Kunark. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 07-08-2020, 11:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philistine [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
An interesting point! Snare + FD, root + FD, screaming terror + FD. Root, snare.

Any other tricks up their sleeves? Always looking for new stuff to do with my necro!
Necros are the only class that can FD and double Divine Aura. They cast harmshield first, start running, then use Shiny brass idol click to instantly refresh Divine Aura when the first one wears off. This means they can do Pulling through dangerous areas twice as long and then FD. This strategy tends to be used more in raiding, but it is a big perk for necro pulling.

EDIT: Shamans can do this too with FD ring, Idol, and Earring of frozen skull, but necros can do this with just idol.

Necros could tripple DA with earring if you can live during the cast time
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 07-08-2020 at 11:33 AM..
Old 07-08-2020, 12:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Necros are the only class that can FD and double Divine Aura. They cast harmshield first, start running, then use Shiny brass idol click to instantly refresh Divine Aura when the first one wears off. This means they can do Pulling through dangerous areas twice as long and then FD. This strategy tends to be used more in raiding, but it is a big perk for necro pulling.

EDIT: Shamans can do this too with FD ring, Idol, and Earring of frozen skull, but necros can do this with just idol.

Necros could tripple DA with earring if you can live during the cast time
Clerics get two castable DA’s in Classic. Bards and paladins can sing/cast DA in Kunark. Necros are very versatile but not the only classes who can pull off these odd invulnerable pulls.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:04 PM
Fire Giant

If you can land snare on it then sk is the best puller (esp with VS pants) if you cannot then monk with HEBs