Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 02:33 PM
Sarnak

I woke up early Saturday morning and went to buy a Switch after reading all of the coverage on Breath of the Wild.

I am very glad I did.

At first I thought I would never use the switch in mobile mode, but then I played Breath of the Wild. I brought the thing with me to work today so at lunch I can hide in my office and play it.

I may never buy another Switch game, but Breath of the Wild is so god damned good that I will never regret the purchase.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:41 PM
Kobold

I feel like all the perfect scores ignore the flaws. Weapons breaking all the time is stupid. Cool Rent-A-Sword, hope you like getting 2 battles out of it before it breaks.
Controls are backwards, do all nintendo games like to have the cancel and confirm buttons different than every other system?

Those are the 2 big flaws imo, and I'm admittedly not too far into the game yet, but so far it hasn't been the mind-blowing game I was hoping for.

8.5/10!
Old 03-07-2017, 04:41 PM
Planar Protector

Controls are the exact same layout they have been for like 25+ years. It's Sony/Microsoft that made backwards controls and now that's what non-Nintendo only gamers are used to.

You use your weapons too much if they are breaking every 2 battles. You can literally beat every encounter just using the environment and your Sheikah runes.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 03-07-2017, 05:24 PM
VIP / Contributor

Just explore and get the sword that doesn't break. It works wonders. Problem solved after that

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 03-07-2017, 06:58 PM
Planar Protector

how does it connect to a TV? HDMI?

Is it HDMI ready? Can I connect it to my computer monitor? I need answers.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 03-07-2017, 07:24 PM
Sarnak

The thing comes with this little docking station that has an HDMI out.

You plug the dock in to your AVR (or straight into a display). When you want to take the thing with you, you just pull it out of the dock. When you want to play on the TV, you stick it in the dock.

The docking station is just a port replicator, there's no actual hardware in it.

One minor gripe and it will not affect the vast majority of people: the thing only outputs stereo sound.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The thing comes with this little docking station that has an HDMI out.

You plug the dock in to your AVR (or straight into a display). When you want to take the thing with you, you just pull it out of the dock. When you want to play on the TV, you stick it in the dock.

The docking station is just a port replicator, there's no actual hardware in it.

One minor gripe and it will not affect the vast majority of people: the thing only outputs stereo sound.
alright thanks. so has no problems with a monitor resolution?

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 03-07-2017, 07:43 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
alright thanks. so has no problems with a monitor resolution?
I can't say for sure, all I can say is that mine is connected to a Denon AVR X3300W and outputs 1080p with no issues.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:15 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man0warr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Controls are the exact same layout they have been for like 25+ years. It's Sony/Microsoft that made backwards controls and now that's what non-Nintendo only gamers are used to.
Yeah, that might be. I'm a super SNES fanboy, but been on PS since then. Always wished Nintendo made better games since the SNES. So... if you want to attract PS4 and XBOX players looking to get back into Nintendo games, maybe give the option of changing controls.

Quote:
You use your weapons too much if they are breaking every 2 battles. You can literally beat every encounter just using the environment and your Sheikah runes.
Sure, I could bomb everything. That's not my cup of tea. The spear is my favorite weapon. But I need to carry an axe or sword to chop trees, a torch to burninate things, etc. So my spear slots are limited, and spears are limited use.

This may get better over time, but it's frustrating to me starting out.

Other nitpicks:

Not a fan of the cel shading of figures. It can work, but here it looks clunky. See opening scene of link laying down. Landscape, water, grasses look amazing though.

I'm really excited to find cleverly hidden chests or something that took some trick to obtain, only to find ANOTHER AMBER in it. Yay me. Oh nice, this other chest had a traveler's bow in it. Haven't seen that before.

I spent 20 minutes climbing to the very top of a mountain. Found a pikmin who gave me a seed. That seed better be really important at some point (no clue what it does), or I wasted 20 minutes of my time.

Did I mention climbing is tedious? CLIMB FASTER LINK
Cooking is interesting, until it turned tedious as well. Hopefully I find a Martha Stewart npc at some point who can turn all my ingredients into FAST CLIMBING STAMINA ELIXIRS OF POWER so I can get more pikmin seeds, or maybe another amber to add to my collection.

So this review is somewhat tongue in cheek, but at the same time if I were blogging my thoughts as I played it, this is how it would read. I enjoy the game still, but maybe I'm not as much of an adventurer as I used to be.

Downgraded to 8.0/10 as I think of more gripes!
Old 03-08-2017, 10:20 AM
Fire Giant

Looks nice, to bad I don't have a Wii U or whatever it is.